What do tech charge for services in your area?

Eddie kim

I’m about to to get a nut replaced, and I’m getting price range from $50 to $80. Does these price sound right to guys?

Eddie

Yes that sounds normal to me. Even the low side for around here.. I decided to try it myself to save and was surprised how easy it was.

Sounds about right. Some guitars are easier than others for nuts. I tend to think the fenders are a piece of cake. Some of the SE nuts can be very difficult because of the glue used. Others pop out with ease.

There's a local place in Westfield, MA (Whip City Music) that does good tech work cheap. I think my former Yamaha had its urethane nut replaced with a Tusq one for $40. In about 5 days time, as well. I've also had the same tech check my former S2 for 60 Hz hum, the tech checked the wiring, pots and grounding without adding any shielding and charged only $15 for the bench test.

Not sure who does the tech work, but it's outsourced to a tech who picks up the guitar, brings it home and performs the repair. As was said, turnaround time in about 4 to 5 days.

That and a bottle of Dr. Pepper would cover it for me to do it.

Seeings you're supplying the new nut, I would only be charging for time, a set of new strings of your choice and a double check of the set up. Price goes up a little if you wanted a hand carved nut, depending on the material. Turn around would be 2 days for me, but I'm not a busy or pro shop, so I have nothing better to do.

I did not know the Dept of Motor Vehicles did Guitar repairs:confused: Is that a while you wait service, or do you need an appointment?:D

Um, a 4-hour wait time is not unusual. Bring your phone, some earbuds, and a snack. The place you have entered is known as vehicle limbo. It's where all the wandering car sinners go who are not condemned to the eternal heck, but aren't exactly in line for the upstairs penthouse either. Remember, have fun, take some pictures and don't forget to write home.

Um, a 4-hour wait time is not unusual. Bring your phone, some earbuds, and a snack. The place you have entered is known as vehicle limbo. It's where all the wandering car sinners go who are not condemned to the eternal heck, but aren't exactly in line for the upstairs penthouse either. Remember, have fun, take some pictures and don't forget to write home.
It was that way here in NY too. I do all my transactions online now. It is much faster and less frustrating.

Last edited:
It was that way here I'll n NY too. I do all my teanactions online now. It is much faster and less frustrating.

I recall that CT acquired some wisdom recently and transferred a large portion of their in-person DMV business to online (registration renewals, mostly) that has improved the endless "are we there yet" looks from waiting patrons. Gotta say, outsourcing their driver's license renewal departments to various local places saved me hours of sitting in DMV limbo waiting for my number to show up on the "Serving # XX" screen.

Only downside to this is that when my number would show, I'd be twiddling my phone, or on a pee break, or napping. It never failed.

Back