What the??

... said every scalper ever. Not hammering on you personally, but I am tired of hearing that in defense of people overpricing things. I've said it myself when people are griping about paying for value. The "my Squier Strat was only $399, so why does a Silver Sky cost so much?" mentality. But what @Alnus Rubra is talking about is just ripping people off because you can.

I've no issue with people getting a fair price, even a modest bump in a hot market. That's not what you're seeing out there. It's intentionally putting the screws to your fellow musicians because there is a perceived shortage... kind of like "asking" $20 a gallon for gas in an evacuation.

I guess it's just disheartening to see the feeding on one another become so prevalent and accepted in the music community.
Geez. You're not talking about housing the poor or putting food on thier table...just an overpriced tubescreamer. :p

... said every scalper ever. Not hammering on you personally, but I am tired of hearing that in defense of people overpricing things. I've said it myself when people are griping about paying for value. The "my Squier Strat was only $399, so why does a Silver Sky cost so much?" mentality. But what @Alnus Rubra is talking about is just ripping people off because you can.

I've no issue with people getting a fair price, even a modest bump in a hot market. That's not what you're seeing out there. It's intentionally putting the screws to your fellow musicians because there is a perceived shortage... kind of like "asking" $20 a gallon for gas in an evacuation.

I guess it's just disheartening to see the feeding on one another become so prevalent and accepted in the music community.
So… you’ll sell me that white spruce HB for what you paid for it then? :p

So, I'd like to know why pedals are so expensive as well! wasn't there a day when you could basically buy ANY pedal for $ 100? Are they like "vinyl" now? Rare? boutiquey? (Is that a word?) or what?? Personally, I don't use a lot of pedals- pretty much Volume, Clean boost ( sometimes), Whah(sometimes) and that's it. My amp does everything else- I have some old stuff- a Marshall overdrive, an Ibanez Chorus, and a looper set up I NEVER use.

So, I'd like to know why pedals are so expensive as well! wasn't there a day when you could basically buy ANY pedal for $ 100? Are they like "vinyl" now? Rare? boutiquey? (Is that a word?) or what?? Personally, I don't use a lot of pedals- pretty much Volume, Clean boost ( sometimes), Whah(sometimes) and that's it. My amp does everything else- I have some old stuff- a Marshall overdrive, an Ibanez Chorus, and a looper set up I NEVER use.

Geez. You're not talking about housing the poor or putting food on thier table...just an overpriced tubescreamer. :p
Yep, I get it. First world problems

I think Rick's meaning is that some people are asking ridiculous prices because they can and hoping to find a sucker. I agree that it reflects badly on the used music merch market and may turn off newer musicians because of the affordability.
Absolutely nothing wrong with making a few bucks or waiting for the right buyer, just some are trying to take advantage of the situation.

I just went thru what you have mentioned. My wife and I listed our home last August. We looked at the competition and some of the homes, I think, were priced outrageous. We priced ours fairly. Then the market dropped when interest rates went up. We wondered about waiting longer at that price, but we wanted to move on from there, so we did drop the price just under what I thought it was worth and it sold. I think we did fine. Most of our competition were still for sale when we left in December. We got a bit less, but it certainly afforded me to move to another state, pay all cash for a new home and retire.

Here’s my beat up tube screamer, that I’ve dragged along behind my car, twatted it with a bike chain,

Uh, did you just say "twatted?" I'm not sure that's allowed here. I'm going to need a ruling from the judges on that one, but I'm pretty sure that's not ok.

Is it just me, or has the world today gone absolutely mad?

Oh no, it's not just you.

I’m not usually a wiener whiner.

Uh, did you just say "wiener whiner?" I'm going to need a ruling on that one too. I'm sure that "twatted" and "wiener whiner" in one post is some kind of violation with the sensors. I think I'm offended. Not be be a wiener whiner or anything...

:p
:p:p

Uh, did you just say "twatted?" I'm not sure that's allowed here. I'm going to need a ruling from the judges on that one, but I'm pretty sure that's not ok.

Oh no, it's not just you.

Uh, did you just say "wiener whiner?" I'm going to need a ruling on that one too. I'm sure that "twatted" and "wiener whiner" in one post is some kind of violation with the sensors. I think I'm offended. Not be be a wiener whiner or anything...

:p
:p:p
Twatted is fine. It’s the one that rhymes with “bunt” that, while fun to say, is not allowed.
Wiener whiner, same as above.

So… you’ll sell me that white spruce HB for what you paid for it then? :p
If it were to be for sale, I would. :) Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to show my goodwill at the moment.

Probably not a point in my ranting, though. I doubt it’ll change anyone’s mind. Just needed to be said. It was. Moving along now…

Back