What can you tell me about this 2018 semi hollow mccarty 594

darylcrisp

I saw this last year and it's still there. I like the looks, weight is good, they would move a little on the price but I'm in Ky also so there will be tax.
It has the 58/15 LT pickups in the specs, but I wonder if there's been improvement with those since 2018.

Anyone familiar with this semi hollow mccarty series of this timeline I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
d

Last edited:
Depends on what you classify as 'improvements'

In 2020, PRS 'updated' the 594 range - the Single Cut was given 58/15 LT+ pick-ups and the whole range was switched from 'modern' locking tuners to Vintage style non-locking tuners - as well as the changes applied across the board - TCI tuned Pickups & Nitro over CAB finish. I think they adjusted the bridge too (maybe on the SC) so whether you see these as 'improvements' worth investing in or minor tweaks to an already amazing instrument, that's up to you to decide.

The Semi-Hollow is more like weight relief on a Solid Body than being like a '335' type Semi-hollow sound - you'll need a PRS Hollowbody for that but if you want a lighter weight Vintage 'Les Paul' like instrument, then a Semi-Hollow is the best option...

My 594, solid body, is a 2018 and I absolutely love the 58/15LT pickups. Everybody's taste is different but I think the pups are great.

My 594, solid body, is a 2018 and I absolutely love the 58/15LT pickups. Everybody's taste is different but I think the pups are great.

Both my 594's (2016 solid & 2019 Hollow) and 2018 Hollowbody ii guitars have the 58/15 LT pickups - so its clear I think they arefantastic pick-ups, perhaps my favourite PRS currently make but that's my preference coming through. I was just trying to inform the OP of any particular changes have occurred since they introduced the 594 in 2016 to the core line.

As far as I recall its only the 2020 & later Single cuts that came with the 58/15 LT+ pickups as all the others have 58/15 LT's, which is why I mentioned the 2020 SC change to the LT+ variant.

Back