What cab for an Archon?

I have tried it through, a boogie 2x12 vert with ev, and with V30s, a bogner 2x12 oversized cab, and mini recto cabs. and the best one i have found is the PRS stealth 2x12 , the others are great cabs, but that archon was voiced for that cab IMO.

I'm quite enjoying my new Orange HP8 4x12, which is loaded with G12K-100s. It's a little dark (compared with a V30 cab, anyway), but thunderous and extremely clear.

Need a 2x12 for the archon as well. My concerns are caught between the Stealth and the DB Big Mouth. Worried the DB BM will be too boomy. I play low tuned high gain stuff with a lot of chunking and jumping from a chunk to a higher fretted - higher pitched note. My Johnson JM412 is real boomy with the Archon and my Eminence loaded Randall 2x12-1x15 is too mid-heavy.
I have to get this right. Wife is getting sick of my GAS. No local retailer for me to test them out at.

Isolate the cab from the ground and a huge (to me, about 60%) majority of the bass will be tamed. I put my 2x12 pine cab on an amp stand and it kills the boom. If playing it at volume, I don't think you need the big mouth cab. Bedroom volume could be a totally different thing, but that's not my thing.

Corey, you could kill two birds with one stone with a Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab. Cheaper than PRS, great quality, and it actually has better speakers (IMO) than the PRS. Mesa spec V30s sound better than regular V30s. If I were PRS, The Mesa cab will be a tighter punchier cab while the PRS is warmer. Ironically, the stock V30s in the PRS cab have a bigger spike (can have more ice pick, IMO).

These guys aren't kidding about the sound of the PRS cab. It is better than the more affordable cabs! But the Mesa is a premium cab as well and for me, the speakers are better as well. I'm going to put to Scumbacks in my PRS cab and then it should be perfect for me, for use with my PRS amps. Then I'm buying a Mesa 2x12 veritcal for my Mesa Mark V 25. Side note, unless you are certain that you prefer recto tone over Mark tone, I'd look at a V25 instead of the Rectoverb. That is a KILLER amp. I'm still waiting to try an Archon and see how it compares to my V25. If I love it as much as I think, it might be my next amp. Probably a 50 watt head, but I sure would like to try the 25 as well, if it only came as a head. I'll be cab'd up good and not looking for combos.

These guys aren't kidding about the sound of the PRS cab. It is better than the more affordable cabs! But the Mesa is a premium cab as well.

I love both the pine PRS cabs and the birch Mesa cabs.

The pine PRS cabs are warmer-sounding, and are far lighter than a birch plywood cab. So if weight and moving the cab around are concerns, the PRS cabs are wonderful. I have both a 2x12 PRS DG cab, and a 1x12 closed back, both pine, both sound wonderful. The 1x12 is so light and compact, I could hardly believe it.

Then again, I also love the harder, brighter sound of a Mesa cab, both with my HXDA and with other amps. It's hard to go wrong either way.

The pine PRS cabs are warmer-sounding, and are far lighter than a birch plywood cab. So if weight and moving the cab around are concerns, the PRS cabs are wonderful. I have both a 2x12 PRS DG cab, and a 1x12 closed back, both pine, both sound wonderful. The 1x12 is so light and compact, I could hardly believe it.
I swear my Boogie 2x12s weigh 2x the PRS counterpart.
blockparty.jpg

Last edited:
I swear my Boogie 2x12s weigh 2x the PRS counterpart.
blockparty.jpg

I couldn't even have lifted one on top of the other, and that was before my damned surgery! Now I'm prohibited from doing any heavy lifting due to the possibility that my chest might come apart.

I envy your youth and vigor, Mr. Kerry, sir!

I have PRS, Avatar, and Boogie 2x12 cabs (and Archon 100 head). I like these guys, because I like the 2x12 slant configuration. I'd use PRS cabs if they made a 2x12 vertical slant. Why these Boogies? They sound good, they look good, I can handle moving them by myself, I can hear them on stage with the upper speaker angled at me, and last, but not least.............I don't have to bend over to adjust the freakin' knobs. :creep:

Last edited:
A question here, since I have two 1x12 Mesa Mini Rec cabs with V30s, does that mean mine have the better sounding V30 as I have read here the past few days?
I sure like mine, very light weight, and they look killer stacked on top of each other.
They would look even better if they were like Boogie's with the wire grills and Boogie name plate.

26.jpg

Not having to bend to adjust knobs makes everything better. It's why I like the upward-facing knobs on the HXDA and DG30 heads. No bending over to see the face plate! :rock:

But of course, things would be even mo' better with a vertical 2x12 if PRS would only make one!

On my table/amp stand thing, I don't have to bend at all, and when the head sits on the standard PRS 212 cab, the bend is very slight, I can even handle it without medical assistance. ;)

Corey, Yes you do! It's the only one Mesa sells. Mesa went to Celestion and had to by a ton of them, since it's considered a custom order (what I read at the Boogie Board). Nobody else has them but Mesa, which is too bad cause I'd like to have a couple to try in my PRS cab! I have the V25 and the 1x12 Mini Rec cab. IT sounds good, but the 2x cabs sound way bigger. I always stack it on top of another 1x12 Avatar V30.

(Not to side track, but how's the Power Station? I actually considered one for my V25 to make it bigger and smaller, but would be torn between that and just getting a full sized Mark V).

I'm with 11 on preferring a vertical 2x12 as well, but my PRS cab isn't going anywhere.

Edit: If you've ever read the comments about the old V30s being the best speakers ever, and people saying the old V30s are better than the newer ones... well Mesa agreed and went to Celestion and said they'd use the V30 in their cabs ONLY if they got that version. Celestion said "if you buy x amount, we will make them" and so they are the only ones (I think in the U.S. maybe the whole word) that can get them. If you have older V30s, they will be like the Mesa version, and not the one that everyone else has had for the last 10 or so years (guessing at the time frame, but it's been a few years). I've had brand new stock V30s in identical cabs to compare. And if I can put aside all the politically correct BS about "it's all subjective" for a moment, I'll say "Mesa's V30 sounds better! The spike is not as icepicky. That alone makes it better, IMHO. Which is why I also prefer other V30 type speakers like Eminence Governor, over stock V30s in most situations. But it is IMO, better overall than a stock V30

Last edited by a moderator:
Back