What are you doing to stay in shape?

As I get older I am really getting sick of anything with refined sugar. I can really notice now especially in baked goods. I used to be a certified sugar freak. I prefer a nice sweet treat like a mango now or a slice of watermelon instead. I never in a million years thought I would be so health conscience. But if you snooze ya lose!

I weight train, ride a stationary bike, and walk a lot. That's over and above my regimen in the dojo. I used to run a whole bunch, but my ankle doesn't handle that anymore. But I don't do any of it like I did 25 years ago either. Much more of a tempered down intensity than I once did. Driving a desk the last 16 years forces me to do more once I'm out of the office. I really notice the difference the last couple years when race season starts. Muscling that crotch rocket around the track is a real isometric exercise and I sure feel the stiffness after multiple track days now.
My mind tells me I'm still young, but my body tells me I'm an idiot.o_O

I know this is no big deal in the grand scheme, but I have started doing a few things again over the last few days. So far this week, I've been doing 2 sets of 50 chair pushups per day (my shoulder won't handle real ones so I just do a lot more of the chair version) and I go to the stairs at work and do the following. Two times a day I run up all four flights, (this is a commercial building so each half flight is 12 steps. 24 steps per floor) and I do that 2 steps at a time up, one at a time coming down. Then I go back to the steps twice and do two sets of 50 calf raises (I do them on stairs, so I can get my heel way down for each one) and two sets of whatever you would call this... I put one foot on the floor, and the other on the 3rd step up. Then I do 20 raises up to that third step and back down, then switch legs and do 20 with the other leg. So I'm raising all my weight with one leg, 3 steps high, and back down, 20 times each leg. I guess we could call it "thigh raises." I started at two steps but after a few days went to 3 steps for a harder lift. If all goes well, I might also get on the elliptical tonight for the first time in a few months.

I am impressed Dream Theatre just keep your head up and keep going!
Thanks. This is sort of a return to normal stuff for me, but I had not been feeling good for quite a while now and finally found it it was a medication I was taking. My doctor told me to stop taking it and if it was the culprit, I'd feel good in 5 days. 3 days later, I already knew, but 5 days later I felt like "me" again. I just need to get back on my elliptical routine again, now that I can. If I get back on that I might even be able to go bike riding with Veinbuster some time!

DreamTheatreRules. Just an idea on your calf raises. If you can. For this exercise I stand on the basement stairs with my hands supporting me either side. I put one leg tucked across my calf on the opposite leg. You’re using all your body weight on this exercise. I start at the bottom of the calf raise, raise it to mid point hold for a count of 10 raise again to the top and hold again. After 10 on each calf then I go through the whole range of motion for 15. I cycle through 5 times and the burn I get let’s me know that those calf muscles are getting worked. And….turn your toes inwards for a set or and then outwards for set or two. You will hit all the heads of the calf muscles. This is just a variation of using your body weight as your weights. Probably get the same results just something different.

I have to try yours out.

I start at the bottom of the calf raise, raise it to mid point hold for a count of 10 raise again to the top and hold again. After 10 on each calf then I go through the whole range of motion for 15. I cycle through 5 times and the burn I get let’s me know that those calf muscles are getting worked.
I'll try your method today, but please clarify.

Full extension down to start. Go to straight out and hold for 10 seconds. Then full extension up, hold for 10 seconds. What do you mean by the next line "the go through the whole range of motion for 15?" Do you mean start at full down and just slowing raise to full up, over a 15 second count?

And then, repeat all the above 5 times?

Let me know and I'll try your method today.

Just a guess but from what I've done since my ligaments repair, I say moving through and not stopping at mid-point as I think you explained. Full down to full up and vice versa. I work my left ankle that way with my right foot resting on the left instep using my whole body weight in the lift. It builds calf muscle strength as well as range of motion on flex to point foot position.

I’m in a terrible shape: blob.

I’m 5’11”, and seem to put on about 5lbs a year since I was 30. I’m 46 and 270lbs, so it’s certainly caught up with me. Oddly, I dropped 20lbs the first year of the pandemic, largely due to work stress. That’s all come back this last year.

So…. I went out and bought a used rower from CL tonight. Been looking for something I could sit on my rear and use while watching TV. It should be pretty good for my back and core. I had to see a chiropractor for my back being a bit jacked up, and he recommended it.

Did 20 minutes before bed tonight. I’ll start out slow and see how it goes.

I’m 5’11”, and seem to put on about 5lbs a year since I was 30. I’m 46 and 270lbs, so it’s certainly caught up with me. Oddly, I dropped 20lbs the first year of the pandemic, largely due to work stress. That’s all come back this last year.

So…. I went out and bought a used rower from CL tonight. Been looking for something I could sit on my rear and use while watching TV. It should be pretty good for my back and core. I had to see a chiropractor for my back being a bit jacked up, and he recommended it.

RC Mike - exercise is terrific for health in many ways, but not for losing weight. You cannot exercise and calorie restrict your way to being lean. Your body will win that battle and remain fat. In my experience the only approach that works and is sustainable is keto + intermittent fasting. This hacks hormones and kicks on fat burning. Check out Dr. Sten Ekberg, Dr Ken Berry, or Dr Jason Fung on this topic. (youTube). Good journey to you. Regards, Fats..

When it comes to burgers, there’s truly something for everyone. The purists can go all-beef, topped with melty cheese and tucked into a toasted bun; those who want a twist can reach for piled high with all the best fixings. I generally Like my dunkin donuts near me. So i hope you enjoyed your nearest city food. All the game is about our taste . During Eating How our tongues is feeling this food.

Rowing is excellent exercise, and can be a great component in getting to and staying at a target weight. I began my rowing journey at 5’ 10” and 240+ after having been fairly fit most of my life, but putting on those pounds steadily through my 40s and 50s. I’m a muscular person, so 205 to 215 is a pretty athletic weight for me. I began rowing and being more careful about eating in January of 2021, and hit my target area in a year of steady but reasonable work. I have remained in my weight zone by continuing to work out the same way. If I get sloppy on eating, the weight goes up, so I have to be diligent to both exercise vigorously (I do an hour three times a week, consisting of rowing, calisthenic, and light resistance or weight work) and watch what I’m eating, meaning more knocking out the snacking after dinner and eating reasonable amounts of a good food variety otherwise. Fad diets are not healthy or sustainable in the long run, and a lifestyle of healthy choices and exercising your body is the key to long term physical health.

Congratulation on getting started. I can send you some instructional links on rowing to help you get the most out of it if you’d like!

RC Mike - exercise is terrific for health in many ways, but not for losing weight.

I have to strongly disagree with the second half of that. Proper weight maintenance is a result of overall health; it’s not a disconnected collateral effect. You must combine strengthening and training your body to burn calories in a healthy way, combined with a reasonable intake of calories to support body function if your intention is sustainable health and fitness. The weight loss will come as a result of that combination, and you will be building muscle and cardiovascular fitness along the way… two essential factors of a healthy body that deteriorate as you age if left to their own devices. The combination of balanced diet and sufficient physical exercise for the overall health of the human body is universally recognized. You can lose weight by diet alone, but it’s not addressing the whole body.

This thread came back to my mind on Sunday. I dug up about 7 feet of banana trees and had to keep stopping to catch my breath and let my heart rate come back down. It was pretty warm out, like it usually is here in South Florida, but I didn't think it was enough to affect me in that way. I think it is time to find something I can start doing here at home or get a gym membership again. I just hate hanging out in a gym. It is freaking boring and I hate waiting on equipment.

Lower mid 50’s here. I haven’t been in shape in well over two decades. I started a family late with 11 and 15 year old kids.
Since my 50th birthday I’ve really noticed the body pains, my back hurt all the time and the kicker was a two day trip to an amusement park two years ago. Literally all i did was walk from one roller coaster to another for a few hours with my daughter and I couldn’t walk afterwards. I knew I had to do something if I wanted to enjoy, or even see, grandkids later in life.
I set up a squat rack in a spare room along with a barbell, adjustable bench and some adjustable dumbells. I started with a 3 day a week squat, bench, rows, curl, tricep extensions. Now I do a three day split with pull exercises, push exercises and a leg day.
I’d never done a barbell squat in my life. The amount of weight I was able to lift jumped up quickly the first few months. I’ll never be as strong or muscled up as the fitness crowd but I’m getting stronger every week. My guts even shrinking.
I went from needing to schedule an appointment with a back Dr because of back pain to rarely having any back pain at all. My back hasn’t ached in months.
We took another amusement park trip this summer and I had no problem keeping up and felt good afterwards each day.
I’ve recently added a Maxtrainer to the mix and get my bicycle out from time to time. I’m convinced our bodies were designed to need the stress of heavy weights regularly to maintain health joints and muscle/bone density.
Another benefit is I’m sleeping better. It feels good to feel good.

Congratulation on getting started. I can send you some instructional links on rowing to help you get the most out of it if you’d like!

That would be awesome, thank you! I've been pretty conscious of my form, trying to be as smooth as possible and not leading with my legs on the return. Still a work in progress, but I'm enjoying it. Been starting with 20 minutes a day every other day. So far, my back is liking it.

As to diet and the rest... That, too, is a work in progress. I am what I am in some ways, and can't see myself happily changing my eating habits too much. Life is not about perfection, but about progress. My wife has recently started being part of a medical weight loss program where they're starting with diet modification. I'm catching some of that, just by proximity and shared meals.

She used to be an aerobics instructor, but the pandemic, motherhood, and a job change hit her pretty hard. All at the same time, too. She went from a very comfort about 130lbs to about 180lbs, which has been tough on her self-image. Now she's in a lower-stress job that's resulted in discontinuing her depression meds, going to work out at Orange Theory 4-5 times a week, and working with her doctor/dietitian. It's fun to see her feeling better about herself.

That would be awesome, thank you! I've been pretty conscious of my form, trying to be as smooth as possible and not leading with my legs on the return. Still a work in progress, but I'm enjoying it. Been starting with 20 minutes a day every other day. So far, my back is liking it.

As to diet and the rest... That, too, is a work in progress. I am what I am in some ways, and can't see myself happily changing my eating habits too much. Life is not about perfection, but about progress. My wife has recently started being part of a medical weight loss program where they're starting with diet modification. I'm catching some of that, just by proximity and shared meals.

She used to be an aerobics instructor, but the pandemic, motherhood, and a job change hit her pretty hard. All at the same time, too. She went from a very comfort about 130lbs to about 180lbs, which has been tough on her self-image. Now she's in a lower-stress job that's resulted in discontinuing her depression meds, going to work out at Orange Theory 4-5 times a week, and working with her doctor/dietitian. It's fun to see her feeling better about herself.
Really glad to hear that about your wife being on a positive track, as it’s so much easier to keep it going when your wife is on board and working alongside you. My wife and I have our own workouts (she’s on the rower as I type this!), and we inspire one another to be faithful to the workouts and avoid too much splurging in the diet.

I PM’ed you a list of videos I sent my daughter when she started rowing. There are a lot of variety there… just wade in slowly and settle on one or two that work for you. Rowing while watching an instructor is a great way to learn and emulate proper technique, and it’s just more entertaining.

Let me know if you need anything else or have questions!

Really glad to hear that about your wife being on a positive track, as it’s so much easier to keep it going when your wife is on board and working alongside you. My wife and I have our own workouts (she’s on the rower as I type this!), and we inspire one another to be faithful to the workouts and avoid too much splurging in the diet.

I PM’ed you a list of videos I sent my daughter when she started rowing. There are a lot of variety there… just wade in slowly and settle on one or two that work for you. Rowing while watching an instructor is a great way to learn and emulate proper technique, and it’s just more entertaining.

Let me know if you need anything else or have questions!

Thank you, Rick! It’s an awesome set of resources that you sent me. I very much appreciate you taking the time to do this!

Back