What are some of the non-PRS guitars in your collection?

Couple of David Gomes acoustics from the Big Island, Hawaii

image.jpg

Requinto 3/4 size acoustic in Mango
7-EEE5-DE7-5222-4315-92-B0-7192-BFBF5423.jpg

Currently, Gibson, Heritage and Fender

I've owned Huber, Schroeder, Hamer and G&L in the past. Should have kept the Huber :)

Non-PRS electrics: American Fenders, Suhrs, Gibsons, and Reverends (even the import Revs are surprisingly nice).

Non-PRS acoustics: Martins (hell yes) and a Gibson.

A 1998 Taylor 714-CE is my favorite non-PRS, and the one guitar I will never let go of. I have a few other acoustics and electrics that are good guitars, but they are not great.

A Crafted in Japan 62RI Telecaster, 2002 Fender Highway One Strat, and a Martin 000-15. Prior to paring back to those (and my PRS Mira) earlier this year I had a G&L Korina ASAT with P90s, a Hamer Artist Studio, and a Collings OM1.

I've got 4 Flying V's. Here's my 2019 Gibby. I asked PRS to make me a Private Stock Flying V but they said NO.
Gibson-2019_Flying-V-Natural.jpg

I've got 2 kick ass HERITAGE guitars. Here's one of them. There are only two of these in existence.
Heritage-2017-H155-01.jpg

I've got a Knaggs Severn that is a little bit unique. The longer you look at it the more unique features you start to notice.
Knaggs-SEVERN_8112.jpg

Here’s what’s in my collection other than my PRS guitars.

'49 Martin A Style Mandolin
'76 S.L. Mossman Great Plains
'78 Gibson Gospel
'81 Martin 7-28 ( 7/8 D-28 )
‘81 Sigma DM3
‘02 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

Electric Guitars & Basses :

‘63 Gibson ES-330 w/ Bigsby
‘72 Fender Tele Custom
‘74 Fender Sunburst Jazz Bass
‘75 Fender Mocha Stat
‘76 MIJ Electra X-310
‘77 Gibson Walnut RD Custom
‘78 Fender Natural P-Bass
‘79 Fender Antigua Strat
‘80 Gibson Jimmy Wallace ‘58 “Prototype LP
‘80 Gibson Cream Explorer
‘83 Gibson Cherry ES-335 Dot
‘86 MIJ Fender ‘69RI Pink Paisley Yele
‘87 Fender Sunburst (E4) Strat
‘88 PRS Goldtop Special
‘89 Gibson HCSB LP Standard
‘90 MIJ Fender Black’50’s RI Strat
‘90 Fender Pewter Strat Plus
‘90 Fender Black Strat Plus
‘90 Fender Ebony Frost Strat Plus
‘90 MIJ Fender Vintage White P-Bass
‘90 MIK Epiphone Sunburst Sheraton II
‘95 PRS Purple Custom 24 10-Top
‘99 Tom Anderson Cajun Red Hollow Drop Top Classic
‘00 Gibson Trans Amber Classic Premium Plus LP
‘01 Gibson Black LP Jr.
‘02 Gibson Trans Amber DC LP
‘03 Tom Anderson Tiger Eye Hollow T Drop Top HSH
‘03 MIJ Epiphone Black Elite LP Custom
‘08 Gibson Wine LP Standard Plus
‘09 PRS Sunburst DGT 10-Top
‘10 Fender Olympic White Standard Strat
‘15 Suhr Sherwood Metallic Classic Pro Strat
‘15 Fender Surf Green Tele
‘18 Rohlack Custom Fiesta Red Strat
‘20 Fender Black Jim Root Jazzmaster

'78 Gibson Gospel
‘81 Sigma DM3
‘02 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom

‘72 Fender Tele Custom
‘75 Fender Mocha Stat
‘76 MIJ Electra X-310
‘79 Fender Antigua Strat
‘88 PRS Goldtop Special
‘01 Gibson Black LP Jr.

…..and a Fiore in a Pear tree.

20230602-220939.jpg

Aside of a Parker Fly Deluxe (1995), a Strat copy with hand wound pups, a Peavey HP2 NOS, a Reverend Gristlemaster Greg Koch Signature in Kochwork Orange with his original signature on the back, a Rockinger/Duesenberg Rudvog I own three guitars made by the Austrian luthier Peter Steinacher, two of them custom made for me, one part of a small series. His company is named 'Linus - a passion for guitars', short form Linus.
My first is the one in the middle. It was inspired by Neil Schon's NS15. I ordered it in 2013 celebrating end of my time career volunteer contract after 14 years of serving my country as an officer. 2020 I ordered my second one. 2015 I was asked to return to active duty. After attending Federal Armed Forces Staff College, taking over a Armored/Combat Engineer Company, attending several pre deployment trainings I found myself quick and twice in Afghanistan for each 7,5 and 7 months in 2018 and 2020. In 2020 I did surf in my off-duty time from time to time on Peter's homepage. He built two guitars for customers dealing with a Tele style body and neck design, featuring the body construction of a Gretsch with so called trestle bracing, mini humbuckers, the Gretsch wiring and a Bigsby. Both customers play Rock'n'Roll. One was called Green Mamba (seafoam green coloured), the other The Benz (sparkling golden coloured). Though I'm not really into Rock'n'Roll/Hillbilly music, I liked the whole appearance of these guitars. But I wanted my own issue. On the attached picture some signature insignia are to be recognized on the baffle, it's my tag mth, featuring a greeting t, and the scorpion (which is my zodiac sign - I could have take a dragon, too, 'cause I was born in a year of the dragon). The basic of the tag design has been developed by my grandfather once, it featured the greeting t as the first type of our surname. First I combined both elements on my first custommade guitar. The name was on the TRC, the scorpion as an inlay at 12th fret.
For my second attempt of a Linus, I took my tag for the TRC and kept the scorpion as the inlay for the 12th fret.
Due to the fact that the other two versions got a name according their coating, I took that as an inspiration. I liked Peter's dark cherry shade - and the guitar got its name - Red Scorpion.
Peter recommended to design the f holes after the body of my scorpion. My main differences to the other two editions are: reversed headstock with an own design, volute between headstock and neck for more stiffness, a 20" radius, a PRS wide fat neck profile (which my first attempt has aswell), a bass contour poti (like average Reverend guitars do have), splitable humbuckers, and a nitro finish. And he built a special case.
After final assembly, he shipped the guitar in FEB 21. My order was placed around JUL 20 being in Afghanistan.
In JAN/FEB 22 I spent five weeks for refreshing my EOD/IEDD operator qualification at our EOD school. It's located in relative vicinity in northern direction of Lake Constance. When looking at the map it's the Austrian, Swiss, German triangle. I stayed the whole time at the school even the weekends and not travelling home in the northern part of my home country. I spent the weekends visiting friends in the area, one weekend I was with a classmate from army officer school, the other weekend I was at one of my guitar friends, and on the third weekend, I visited my friend, the luthier on the Austrian shoreline of Lake Constance. I pickuped my first Linus personally at his office end of 2013, my second one was shipped due to SARS-CoV 2 regulations in case of travelling/border-xing. We had a long chat in his office. Due to the fact I wasn't in his woodshop I got a walk through afterwards. In his office he has his personal guitars on the wall. He is a hell of a player like Paul Smith, too. In my back was a violin guitar with a Strat layout hanging. I knew that he decided once to build a small batch of violin shaped guitars. His approach was to get as close as possible to the design. He made Strat style, LP style, Jazz, bass guitars. Seen on pictures I wasn't personally attracted. Having his violin 'Strat' on my womp, strumming the strings, feeling the neck, it was like home-coming. Lightweight. Sound of a Strat.
My reluctance towards the design was broken.
Whilst the walk through in his woodshop I noticed three violin guitars resting unter construction in a stand. He introduced all three. All LP style: two HB, one toggle, two volume potis, LP scale, 59 neck profile. The one with the complex tree of life inlay caught my attention the most. In AUG 21 my father died, at Xmas 21 my mother presented us (my family with wife and two children) a slice of a tree with my tree of live painted on it. It reminded me to that gift.
In the woodshop I remained calm. At night I returned to my accomodation at the EOD school. I took the two hours drive and night to make a decision. The next morning I called Peter, asking, if this particular guitar is already sold. He contradicted. He added, because he asumed my wish of asking for that guitar, that it would be an honour and pleasure the guitar for me. Hereby he did. I got a cognac coloured coating in the end. My tag is the logo on the TRC, that is the only personal feature. Everything else was his decition.
Red Scorpion is my overall #1, it became a part of my body and soul musically wise. My 513s are #2. The first Linus would not have been designed the same if I would order it today. I have personal bond due to the connection of marking the end of my first leg of my military career. But 24 frets, the Fishman vibrato, especially the wiring with two resonance frequency selectors (with each six positions), two push-pull potis for coil splitting, two three way toggles allow 217 different sound in stochastic calculation. But it's neither practical, nor necessary in terms of hearing sophisticated differences in the voicings. The 513 wiring is either practical and discriminative.
Keep it short/smart and simple/stupid.
The violin guitar is a reminiscence to the friendship and trust between Peter and me, and additionally connected to the passing of my dad, who sponsored me unconditioned my first electric in 1992.
(The cab is marking the end of journey. I started with a 1×12 DIY made by my later brother in law, went over a classic V30 equipped straight 4×12, was introduced to a 3D sounding cab by UK based company Barefaced (Barefaced Reformer 112), and ended in the Hamburg based company Kammler. I had my clear view of a cab with minimum a Celestion Neo 250 Copperback driver, but changed my mind of a 2×12 Kammler, because it would sound the same likewise the Barefaced, to a 1×12 and 1×10 housing. Now a contemporary, light, new Neo 250 Copperback is paired to an old, heavy, used EVM-10M. Tag and scorpion on the baffle mark the owner.)

'78 Gibson Gospel
‘81 Sigma DM3
‘02 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom

‘72 Fender Tele Custom
‘75 Fender Mocha Stat
‘76 MIJ Electra X-310
‘79 Fender Antigua Strat
‘88 PRS Goldtop Special
‘01 Gibson Black LP Jr.
Worth more in guitar strings than some people's guitars lol

20230602-220939.jpg

Aside of a Parker Fly Deluxe (1995), a Strat copy with hand wound pups, a Peavey HP2 NOS, a Reverend Gristlemaster Greg Koch Signature in Kochwork Orange with his original signature on the back, a Rockinger/Duesenberg Rudvog I own three guitars made by the Austrian luthier Peter Steinacher, two of them custom made for me, one part of a small series. His company is named 'Linus - a passion for guitars', short form Linus.
My first is the one in the middle. It was inspired by Neil Schon's NS15. I ordered it in 2013 celebrating end of my time career volunteer contract after 14 years of serving my country as an officer. 2020 I ordered my second one. 2015 I was asked to return to active duty. After attending Federal Armed Forces Staff College, taking over a Armored/Combat Engineer Company, attending several pre deployment trainings I found myself quick and twice in Afghanistan for each 7,5 and 7 months in 2018 and 2020. In 2020 I did surf in my off-duty time from time to time on Peter's homepage. He built two guitars for customers dealing with a Tele style body and neck design, featuring the body construction of a Gretsch with so called trestle bracing, mini humbuckers, the Gretsch wiring and a Bigsby. Both customers play Rock'n'Roll. One was called Green Mamba (seafoam green coloured), the other The Benz (sparkling golden coloured). Though I'm not really into Rock'n'Roll/Hillbilly music, I liked the whole appearance of these guitars. But I wanted my own issue. On the attached picture some signature insignia are to be recognized on the baffle, it's my tag mth, featuring a greeting t, and the scorpion (which is my zodiac sign - I could have take a dragon, too, 'cause I was born in a year of the dragon). The basic of the tag design has been developed by my grandfather once, it featured the greeting t as the first type of our surname. First I combined both elements on my first custommade guitar. The name was on the TRC, the scorpion as an inlay at 12th fret.
For my second attempt of a Linus, I took my tag for the TRC and kept the scorpion as the inlay for the 12th fret.
Due to the fact that the other two versions got a name according their coating, I took that as an inspiration. I liked Peter's dark cherry shade - and the guitar got its name - Red Scorpion.
Peter recommended to design the f holes after the body of my scorpion. My main differences to the other two editions are: reversed headstock with an own design, volute between headstock and neck for more stiffness, a 20" radius, a PRS wide fat neck profile (which my first attempt has aswell), a bass contour poti (like average Reverend guitars do have), splitable humbuckers, and a nitro finish. And he built a special case.
After final assembly, he shipped the guitar in FEB 21. My order was placed around JUL 20 being in Afghanistan.
In JAN/FEB 22 I spent five weeks for refreshing my EOD/IEDD operator qualification at our EOD school. It's located in relative vicinity in northern direction of Lake Constance. When looking at the map it's the Austrian, Swiss, German triangle. I stayed the whole time at the school even the weekends and not travelling home in the northern part of my home country. I spent the weekends visiting friends in the area, one weekend I was with a classmate from army officer school, the other weekend I was at one of my guitar friends, and on the third weekend, I visited my friend, the luthier on the Austrian shoreline of Lake Constance. I pickuped my first Linus personally at his office end of 2013, my second one was shipped due to SARS-CoV 2 regulations in case of travelling/border-xing. We had a long chat in his office. Due to the fact I wasn't in his woodshop I got a walk through afterwards. In his office he has his personal guitars on the wall. He is a hell of a player like Paul Smith, too. In my back was a violin guitar with a Strat layout hanging. I knew that he decided once to build a small batch of violin shaped guitars. His approach was to get as close as possible to the design. He made Strat style, LP style, Jazz, bass guitars. Seen on pictures I wasn't personally attracted. Having his violin 'Strat' on my womp, strumming the strings, feeling the neck, it was like home-coming. Lightweight. Sound of a Strat.
My reluctance towards the design was broken.
Whilst the walk through in his woodshop I noticed three violin guitars resting unter construction in a stand. He introduced all three. All LP style: two HB, one toggle, two volume potis, LP scale, 59 neck profile. The one with the complex tree of life inlay caught my attention the most. In AUG 21 my father died, at Xmas 21 my mother presented us (my family with wife and two children) a slice of a tree with my tree of live painted on it. It reminded me to that gift.
In the woodshop I remained calm. At night I returned to my accomodation at the EOD school. I took the two hours drive and night to make a decision. The next morning I called Peter, asking, if this particular guitar is already sold. He contradicted. He added, because he asumed my wish of asking for that guitar, that it would be an honour and pleasure the guitar for me. Hereby he did. I got a cognac coloured coating in the end. My tag is the logo on the TRC, that is the only personal feature. Everything else was his decition.
Red Scorpion is my overall #1, it became a part of my body and soul musically wise. My 513s are #2. The first Linus would not have been designed the same if I would order it today. I have personal bond due to the connection of marking the end of my first leg of my military career. But 24 frets, the Fishman vibrato, especially the wiring with two resonance frequency selectors (with each six positions), two push-pull potis for coil splitting, two three way toggles allow 217 different sound in stochastic calculation. But it's neither practical, nor necessary in terms of hearing sophisticated differences in the voicings. The 513 wiring is either practical and discriminative.
Keep it short/smart and simple/stupid.
The violin guitar is a reminiscence to the friendship and trust between Peter and me, and additionally connected to the passing of my dad, who sponsored me unconditioned my first electric in 1992.
(The cab is marking the end of journey. I started with a 1×12 DIY made by my later brother in law, went over a classic V30 equipped straight 4×12, was introduced to a 3D sounding cab by UK based company Barefaced (Barefaced Reformer 112), and ended in the Hamburg based company Kammler. I had my clear view of a cab with minimum a Celestion Neo 250 Copperback driver, but changed my mind of a 2×12 Kammler, because it would sound the same likewise the Barefaced, to a 1×12 and 1×10 housing. Now a contemporary, light, new Neo 250 Copperback is paired to an old, heavy, used EVM-10M. Tag and scorpion on the baffle mark the owner.)
An instrument that's linked with a loved one is an instrument cherished forever. My $400 Epiphone SG is the first guitar my mom bought me. I never played it at the time and didnt realize how cool these instruments were until 15 years later into my 30s. Its by far my cheapest guitar, but its the last one I'd ever sell.

Back