Way off topic - Not quite understanding this

InTooDeep

Out Lobstering...
Recently I have seen people putting their concerns out for their health, safety and wellbeing of loved ones on this forum which is a beautiful thing and indicates a good community here! I have seen some ask for prayer over these situations and I have seen some people reply "sending mojo" or something of that nature.
I wasn't sure what it meant othen than hearing about "Mr. Mojo Risin" in LA Woman!

I looked it up on dictionary.com

mojo[ moh-joh ]
1. the art or practice of casting magic spells; magic; voodoo.

2. an object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell.

I assume the people who use this term are sending well wishes rather than voodoo/magic spells?

Am I nuts? Am I reading into it too much? Is the meaning of this word different than what Dictionary.com says?

I look at it as an alternative for non-religious people to extend well wishes or positive energy to people asking for prayers.

And dictionary deniers are just another group of people that the internet has helped shine a light on. You can’t really fight them... I mean, you can try but, it’s usually a waste of time.

They need to add another definition to that dictionary. The Muddy Waters definition - I got my Mojo workin.
There you go! This is the mojo that I'm familiar with and I go back and listen to Muddy wanting to get his mojo workin' as often as possible. Fab tune. And fab vibes out of good mojo to everyone!!!!!

I look at it as an alternative for non-religious people to extend well wishes or positive energy to people asking for prayers.

And dictionary deniers are just another group of people that the internet has helped shine a light on. You can’t really fight them... I mean, you can try but, it’s usually a waste of time.

Totally this.

Recently I have seen people putting their concerns out for their health, safety and wellbeing of loved ones on this forum which is a beautiful thing and indicates a good community here! I have seen some ask for prayer over these situations and I have seen some people reply "sending mojo" or something of that nature.
I wasn't sure what it meant othen than hearing about "Mr. Mojo Risin" in LA Woman!

I looked it up on dictionary.com

mojo[ moh-joh ]
1. the art or practice of casting magic spells; magic; voodoo.

2. an object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell.

I assume the people who use this term are sending well wishes rather than voodoo/magic spells?

Am I nuts? Am I reading into it too much? Is the meaning of this word different than what Dictionary.com says?

This is a perfect example of how evil has insidiously weaved its way into the very fabric of our lives.

Yes, the term mojo indeed originated from voodoo, yet people ignorantly use it without realizing, or caring, what they are saying. The term was originally from the creole word moco, for magic, circa the early 20th century.

Also, expressions like "knock on wood", which is asking a wood nimph for a favor (tree worshippers), and other such evil terms, seem common these days. Too bad really. :(

For folks who have lived in the Nola region, or who have chatted with folks from that area, my understanding is that the reference to mojo in the dictionary is incomplete...

Mojo is supposedly the good vibes/good luck a shaman induces with his magic; Juju is the bad vibes/bad luck or trouble induced.

Muddy Waters was among the first notable musician to use the word in song; after a while it became commonplace to describe quality vintage instruments as possessing "lots of mojo," typically because of the story, the provenance, or the history of the instrument.

Some years later, sending well-wishes became popular by "sending mojo" to the recipient. Although "mojo" originates with musicians, many folks now use the word when sending well-wishes to folks who might need some "good luck" rather that what they'd previously experienced.

So next time your wife is putting away the dishes from breakfast and she wishes you have a good day as you head out the door, thank her for the good mojo and she'll wonder what that means all day. You'll have something to share with her when you arrive home: if she hasn't already googled the unwritten and incomplete definition of mojo before you've arrived home.

This is a perfect example of how evil has insidiously weaved its way into the very fabric of our lives.

Yes, the term mojo indeed originated from voodoo, yet people ignorantly use it without realizing, or caring, what they are saying. The term was originally from the creole word moco, for magic, circa the early 20th century.

Also, expressions like "knock on wood", which is asking a wood nimph for a favor (tree worshippers), and other such evil terms, seem common these days. Too bad really.

What you say is partially true, but plz read my post above for clarification, and how the usage of mojo has changed over the years...

It's interesting that you mention "knock on wood"...Clapton IIRC wasn't worried too much about what the phrase meant at the time, although being a blues musician well-versed in bad luck and trouble, he likely knew a few things about trying to turn his "luck" around..

I don’t want to lose… this good thing… that I’ve got.
If I do… I would surely…surely lose a lot,
‘Cause your love… is better… than any love I know.

It’s like thunder… lightning,
The way you love me is frightening.
Think I’d better knock… on wood… baby.

I’m not superstitious… about you… I can’t take no chance.
You got me spinning, baby. Baby, I’m in a trance.
‘Cause your love… is better… than any love I know.

Think I’d better knock… on wood… baby.

BRIDGE

Ain’t no secret… that woman… is my loving cup.
She sees… to it… that I get it up.
Just one touch… from her… you know you can do so much.

Think I’d better knock… on wood.

Last edited:

Also, expressions like "knock on wood", which is asking a wood nimph for a favor (tree worshippers), and other such evil terms, seem common these days. Too bad really. :(

Any living language changes, they evolve. Words only mean what the users of those words want them to mean. An instrument having 'mojo' because it elicits a positive emotional response is a perfectly cromulent usage in this day and age. This being transposed to mean good will is equally acceptable.

Thanks for the explanation everyone! I think it's really good to know the origins and meanings as well as understand the cultural evolution of words and phrases.
@shimmilou I didn't know the origin of knock on wood. I should probably stop saying that while knocking on my head. A wood nimph is really the last thing I need residing in my head!

I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing to use such expressions in a positive way, such as "knock on wood". If the language moves forward and drains the darkness out of such expressions it can only be a good thing. And I believe that's also the benefit of the blues itself. Turns dark into light and dread into beautiful music.

Thanks for the explanation everyone! I think it's really good to know the origins and meanings as well as understand the cultural evolution of words and phrases.
@shimmilou I didn't know the origin of knock on wood. I should probably stop saying that while knocking on my head. A wood nimph is really the last thing I need residing in my head!

As males age, the wood nymph goes away and is replaced by a little blue pill...

I'm a Christian so prayer is what I've turned to for years and will continue to. I haven't used that term mojo in years so not familiar. Bottom line is I think most of the conversation has been excellent, just passing along well wishes, hoping/praying everyone will stay safe. Peace and Love as Ringo always professes.... Help, I need somebody... Anyway, hope everyone is safe and the good news is Dorian is pretty much turning away finally. Make it a great day.

Nice Job, Summer!!! This^^^. Just a good place to hang out...and I'm sure, regardless of the terms used (Prayer vs. mojo, etc...) ...Well Wishes are sent to whomever requests them...*(Well, unless they're for Casey Anthony!!!) LOLOL

Back