Way off topic - Not quite understanding this

English is derived from Anglo-Saxon Germanic languages and Latin, both of which were originally entirely the languages of pagan people who worshipped things like tree nymphs.

In fact, all of the root languages began with our pagan ancestors. If you want a language to be entirely free of this ‘evil’, you’d better concoct an entirely new language that is based on your religious beliefs.

As for me, I’m fine with English, a language that will continue to evolve and change meanings, as all languages do.

Also, you’d better change the days of the week:

Monday started as Moon Day, to worship the moon.

Sunday was the day to worship the sun. Thursday was ‘Thor’s Day’, Friday was Freya’s Day, Wednesday was Odin’s Day, and I can’t remember what Tuesday was off the top of my head, but these were all Germanic gods/goddesses.

You’ll also have to get rid of Christmas trees (pagan tree worship origin), and several holidays invented to mirror Roman pagan holy days.

I could go on, but this thread is based on some fairly intolerant (and myopic) assumptions about language and religion that have no justification.

Last edited:
I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing to use such expressions in a positive way, such as "knock on wood". If the language moves forward and drains the darkness out of such expressions it can only be a good thing. And I believe that's also the benefit of the blues itself. Turns dark into light and dread into beautiful music.

Perhaps I'm reading into @shimmilou's post, but I think what he may be saying is to not discount the fact that some words which previously had an "evil" connotation to them are now considered "good", and vice-versa, (although I can't think of what "good" words or phrases are now considered "evil.")

It may be that some prefer to understand the original meanings of the words and choose to not use the word because of its former connotation, simply because they prefer to not "dumb-down" the original meaning for something considered acceptable by today's standards.

Considering that I didn't know the original meaning of "mojo," it may be necessary for me as well to offer "prayers" instead of "mojo," knowing the meaning of both words.

But don't let anyone dictate how you choose your words. The English language is indeed an unusual one that derives a lot of itself from foreign languages, and if one realizes that a lot of what we speak today has its origins in Latin roots, we might all have taken Latin in high school to understand the English language better.

And, to be sure, Les is correct that many of modern day words, (as well as customs and traditions) have pagan roots in them. I need not describe what these are, but if perhaps you folks were to do some research, you'd find that a lot of what today's society enjoys has pagan traditions mixed into them.

And perhaps that might be a reason why @shimmilou prefers to not mix pagan things with what he understands. TBH, I personally admire his fortitude and resolve to be knowledgeable but not compromise his principles.

Last edited:
But don't let anyone dictate how you choose your words. The English language is indeed an unusual one that derives a lot of itself from foreign languages, and if one realizes that a lot of what we speak today has its origins in Latin roots, we might all have taken Latin in high school to understand the English language better.

Yes.

Incidentally, I took Latin in high school and college.

Sunday was the day to worship the sun. Thursday was ‘Thor’s Day’, Friday was Freya’s Day, Wednesday was Odin’s Day, and I can’t remember what Tuesday was off the top of my head, but these were all Germanic gods/goddesses.

I think Tuesday was derived from Tiuwesdag, or "Tiw's Day" (Old Saxon) which became Tuesday.

In Hellenic languages, Tuesday is Martes Day (refers to the planet Mars).

Last edited:
I have to take exception to use of the word 'evil'. Those are non-Judeo-Christian beliefs and for some they have a different meaning. It's OK that one doesn't use the words because they don't align with a personal value system, but labeling things 'evil' because of that falls into 'judge not lest ye be judged' IMHO.

Perhaps I'm reading into @shimmilou's post, but I think what he may be saying is to not discount the fact that some words which previously had an "evil" connotation to them are now considered "good", and vice-versa, (although I can't think of what "good" words or phrases are now considered "evil.")

It may be that some prefer to understand the original meanings of the words and choose to not use the word because of its former connotation, simply because they prefer to not "dumb-down" the original meaning for something considered acceptable by today's standards.

Considering that I didn't know the original meaning of "mojo," it may be necessary for me as well to offer "prayers" instead of "mojo," knowing the meaning of both words.

And, to be sure, Les is correct that many of modern day words, (as well as customs and traditions) have pagan roots in them. I need not describe what these are, but if perhaps you folks were to do some research, you'd find that a lot of what today's society enjoys has pagan traditions mixed into them.

And perhaps that might be a reason why @shimmilou prefers to not mix pagan things with what he understands. TBH, I personally admire his fortitude and resolve to be knowledgeable but not compromise his principles.
I actually did study Latin in school (in a previous century!) and I do find the study of the evolution of language (English, at least) fascinating, but that's all beside the point. What you say is 100% dead right. And we're doing what we should be doing with said language, and that's talking. Interlocution, communication, jabber, conversation, crosstalk, stream-of-consciousness, criticism, witticism...whatever. It's all fabulous. Truly.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." : Lewis Caroll

Consider Month names

September (Latin org) “seven." Our 9th month
October: (Latin org) “eight." Our 10th month
November (Latin org) “nine." Our 11th month
December: (Latin org) “ten." Our 12th month

Mojo, Vibes, Magic & Religion don't speak for me. So I'd just wish you what you'd all wish for yourselves.

- Ruthful Evans

We're getting into religion and politics here, which are no-go for this forum.

source.gif

Back