20 years...

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I've been playing PRS guitars for twenty years now. I've spent a little time reflecting recently and it's been a fun ride! First, I should thank Paul and everyone at PRS Guitars as whole. Thank you for building quality instruments that are beautiful. Thanks for continually pushing to improve the guitars. I don't believe there's many companies that go to the extent to improve their product. Thank you for building a guitar that feels right, sounds incredible and is visually stunning. Thank you for building guitars that I want to pick up every day, that inspire me to create music. That's really the most important part to me.

I first became aware of PRS in maybe 1990. They visually jumped out at me. At that time, I hadn't seen any guitar brand that was making guitars that were that beautiful. So that is what initially grabbed me without knowing anything about the brand. Here's the story of how I discovered PRS. I've told it a bunch of times...

It was in the very early 90’s, ‘91 or so that I saw my first PRS. My father used to take me to Madison, WI about every three months for a doctor appointment. We’d always schedule the visit early in the morning so we could go to some of the guitar stores in town, since we didn’t have much of anything in our hometown. So we walked into a store that we normally stopped in at, and there on the floor we saw about six or seven of the most beautiful guitars either of us had ever seen before. What really stood out the most, was they had unbelievable, gorgeous 3D looking maple tops on them and these fretboard inlays in the shape of birds. We’d never seen anything like these guitars and were just in complete awe! It wasn’t too long before a salesperson came over and asked if we’d ever heard of these guitars, called PRS - Paul Reed Smith. We said no, we hadn’t but, WOW, they sure are beautiful guitars! He asked if I had wanted to plug one in and try it out. Although I really wanted to play one right then, I said no, that’s ok. I knew at that time that they were more than I could afford, or my parents could spend on a guitar. I had only been playing guitar seriously for a year and half, so I thought, man, I’m not even good enough to even pick up a guitar that nice, much less plug it in and play it! So we stood and gawked at these beautiful instruments for a while longer. Especially the whale blue one right out in front. Man, that was the coolest guitar, in the most unbelievable color we ever saw. It was all we talked about the rest of the day! I said, Dad, someday I’m gonna have one of those guitars." I remember that day like it was yesterday.

I finally played a PRS guitar several months later and was just blown away by it. Man, did that thing just sing! And it was still a very thick, rich and full sound as well. It was much easier and more comfortable to play than my Epiphone Les Paul & Gibson Studio LP, but was still thick and chunky sounding on the bottom end. I loved it, but still, not within my budget. Fast-forward to 1995. I was out of high school and had a successful rock band as far as high school bands go, we even had recorded a full length CD in a studio in Madison, WI. I was bound and determined, come hell or high water, to get a PRS. I felt like now I had put in some time on the guitar and accomplished a fair amount of things and I deserved a PRS!!! I had a job, but it didn’t pay a whole lot, so it would take forever to save up that money. One day, while walking through a pawn shop, I saw some second hand Star Wars toys for sale…for A LOT of money. So I thought to myself, I have a ton of these toys, maybe I could find a buyer that would buy all of it. I really had a ton of Star Wars toys, and incidentally, my dad always made me put those toys away and keep things together so I didn’t lose pieces. He made me take very good care of that stuff, more so than any other toys or anything else I had. I even had a lot of the boxes for the ships, instructions and everything. So I started doing research, pricing everything that I owned. It turned out it would be enough money for me to buy the PRS I dreamed about for so long! I then asked my dad if it would be ok with him if I sold it all to buy the PRS. He said, "Yeah, go for it, I know how much you want that guitar." So I found a buyer and shipped him everything and went to the music store to get a PRS!!!

I tried out a few and while talking to the salesman, decided I would special order a guitar, built for me with the options I wanted. I was then pointed to Paul Schluter (Last Crack, Magic 7, Muzzy Luctin) who worked there as well at that time. Paul has serial #5 0057, and has been playing PRS from the beginning. He was the PRS expert around Madison at the time. So I decided, with his help, that I’d order a Custom 22 with bird inlays, 10 top, wide thin neck, stoptail - in whale blue, of course. After a long, agonizing wait(I was soooo anxious for this guitar), 8 months if memory serves me correctly. I got the call. It had arrived. I saw it and it was the most beautiful thing - and it was mine. I briefly plugged it in at the store and it just screamed. So off I went, back home, to show it to my dad. There we sat, in the living room at home, just like the first time we saw a PRS guitar. In awe. My mom was even excited. She loved the whale blue color. That memory will forever be engrained in my mind.

Here is my first PRS, which I still own and will probably go to the grave with me. It's a great sounding guitar that is very resonant and the one that started my 20 year addiction to PRS. It's got a ton of sentimental value to me. Since my dad pretty much bought the guitar and he passed away about a year after I got it, it means a lot to me. I don't gig with it anymore, but I play it at home and use it in the studio at times. It can be heard in this song(it's the overdubbed guitar that's kind of in the the background underneath the verses and choruses):
https://soundcloud.com/goplaygod/evelations

5497213383_3a57eb3267_b.jpg

Here's a picture of Paul and myself the first time I met him at a store seminar several years back:
6883400130_42a0aa85eb_b.jpg

Last year I decided to build a Private Stock. It was a tough decision for me because I don't really have that much money to throw at a guitar. I've wanted to build one for years, maybe from the time that the PS program started. I found a piece paper awhile back inside an old PRS catalog that I had some specs written out on. I was able to sell a couple guitars and pull the money together over the course of several months. The timing felt right as I was coming up on my 20th year playing PRS. My dad would've been 70 years old this year as well, so I thought it would be nice to put what would've been his 70th birthday on the back of the headstock.
I have to thank JFB for giving me the push and convincing me to do the build. Also need to thank Brian at Brian's Guitars for providing an incredible experience and making it possible for me to go out to the factory and pick my own woods, it was really important for me to do that. Thank you to Paul Miles, Tina and the entire Private Stock team for knocking it out of the park with this guitar. It's the best guitar I've ever played or owned.

Here's a couple pics:
23164057719_7b79445abd_b.jpg

23236285080_2a4f8229a0_b.jpg

Here's a link to an album of the whole build trip:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vchizzle/albums/72157656576207115

Link to the build thread for the new people here:
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-ps-5905-wood-selection.14879/

There's a lot to why I love PRS. To much to try to list and verbalize. Hopefully I've gotten some of that across here. Hopefully PRS, as a company, knows and understands how much I appreciate their guitars, amps and cabs. Anyway, thanks for doing what you do PRS!

27473867994_40c179120e_b.jpg

My original plan was to get a group pic of my first PRS and PS together, but it's pretty overcast today and I'd like some natural light. I also plan to do some clips or video of both guitars soon. I'll edit this post when I get them done.

28047696112_5f72ecbe26_b.jpg

28073243491_f2fed0d97e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers mate.
I've always liked your story - I can't think of a better one.

Coincidentally, it is also my 20th anniversary with PRS - maybe to the day, but I'd have to check the receipt to be sure.

I completely agree on the quality of the product. Though I might have a bit more space in my house if they didn't do such a good job.

This thread made me go upstairs and get out a few of my older PRS guitars and play them. Thanks for the motivation. I like both the PS and your 1st guitar (there is something to be said for simplicity)

Bro hug to you Vaughn. Great story, and touching that your folks were that interested in the things that interested you.

Cheers mate.
I've always liked your story - I can't think of a better one.

Coincidentally, it is also my 20th anniversary with PRS - maybe to the day, but I'd have to check the receipt to be sure.

I completely agree on the quality of the product. Though I might have a bit more space in my house if they didn't do such a good job.

I can't say it any better than my brother, Peter. It's a great tale.

And I appreciate the mention. I am the ultimate enabler. I suppose there are worse things for which to be known.

<3

That story gets me every time.

I discovered PRS almost 10 years before you got your first, but I didn't get my first until nearly 10 years after you. Besides the great guitars, PRS has enabled me to meet some wonderful people. I called my wife from the first Experience and said, "I've found my people".

Can't help but like your thread brother, although I actually passed my 20th year of PRS usage in 2015 and hadn't even thought about it. I do connect with the story about your pops, because I lost mine a few years back and he was a guitarist also and we would play jazz standards together, I even have his old jazz archtop. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work, your originals sound great.

Congratulations on the anniversary, Vaughn. We certainly have the "sentimental guitar" thing in common, and PRS is an important part. Here's to 20 more years, bud. :cool:

Back