Completely off topic. Too good not to share.

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
This is a genuine “you have to be sh*tting me” story.

Last night my neighborhood held its annual block party. It ended rather early, so our close friends and neighbors, the “As” said “let’s go get ice cream.” So my wife and I piled into their car, and off we went to Weeny World. We parked in the WW lot and walked to the order window, got our treats and sat down on their outdoor benches to consume our dairy products. We sat there among the other ice cream eaters (approximately 25) and after 15 minutes headed towards our ride home.

We reached the lot, approximately 50 feet away and in full view from the eating area, and Mr. A said “Where’s my car?!!” His white Jeep Grand Cherokee was clearly missing. I asked A if he had left his keys in his car, and he replied that if fact he had left them on the console. A knows everybody in town, and our first thought was somebody is playing a prank and moved his Jeep. After searching all sides of the building, we determined this was not a prank, and I said “Call 911!”

While awaiting the police, I, in my best detective persona, asked the other 25 WW patrons if they had seen any suspicious characters in the lot. Well, they hadn’t, but it caused quite a stir, and now the entire place was buzzing about “the great New Castle crime of 2019.” We also alerted the Weeny World staff of the theft. While awaiting our local law enforcement to arrive, we ambled around in disbelief making comments like “Who would have the gonads to steal ‘our’ car 50 feet from us and in full view?!!”

While awaiting the police, Weeny World got a phone call from someone asking if A was there. WTF? The caller left the message he had A’s car and was in route to return it. In the meantime, the police showed up.

Apparently, a young man had borrowed his mom’s white Ford SUV and upon leaving WW, got in the wrong white SUV and drove back to his mom’s house. Upon arriving at his mom’s, she said “Where’s my car, and whose car is this?” After cleaning out his freshly soiled jeans, he looked in the glovebox, found A’s name on the registration, and called WW to confess his sins and vowed restitution by returning the stolen merchandise.

Another 10 minutes and A’s car comes rolling into the WW lot with a very red-faced young man behind the wheel. He profusely apologized to A, and then tells the policeman that it was simply a case of mistaken automobile identity. Sure enough, his white Ford SUV was still sitting next to our former parking place. He had gotten into the wrong car with his keys, and since A’s keys were also in the car, the ignition button started the vehicle.

While the perpetrator was explaining the situation to the law and the violated Mr. A, I came up and asked the young thief if A’s Jeep would really go 150mph. Nobody laughed but me.

Anyway, no harm, no foul. Afterwards, we all had a good laugh and a good story to tell. I asked A on the way home, if he had been more worried about his car or his golf clubs in the back. You know his answer.

Last edited:
weenieworld.jpg

For pure shock value, someone’s marketing department hit it out of the park with that company name selection. I nearly choked on my gum the first time I passed this sign. In fact, this was the first time I passed that sign! If they need assistance with slogans, my racing imagination is available for consultation.

Tell A to keep his keys in his grandpa trousers. :p

Now, to be fair, we once went to the airport, me behind the wheel. Dropped off Mrs. B and headed back home. Stopped at McDonalds for a sausage biscuit (no association with Weenee World) but had to go inside for some reason. Returned to the car but it wouldn’t start. Guess who had the car keys? Yep, the person now on a plane to Orlando.

Last edited:
weenieworld.jpg

For pure shock value, someone’s marketing department hit it out of the park with that company name selection. I nearly choked on my gum the first time I passed this sign. In fact, this was the first time I passed that sign! If they need assistance with slogans, my racing imagination is available for consultation.

Tell A to keep his keys in his grandpa trousers. :p

In regards to point #1, New Castle is a very high-class place. :cool: Those of you who have been fortunate enough to experience it first-hand know that’s a fact. Heck, we also have Pizza King AND Jack’s Donuts.

And point #2: His insurance agent, who was with him at the time, has already had that discussion with him. :rolleyes:

That is a huge problem with these newfangled keyless ignition cars... But stuff like that happened in olden tymes too. In the early 90s my mother and I drove identical looking-cars. The only difference was that hers had an automatic transmission and techy digital dash. Mine had a manual and analog gauges. We also worked for the same company in adjoining buildings.

Well sure enough, one fine day I walked out to the parking lot, fished my keys out, unlocked the door, plopped into the driver's seat. Stuck my key in the ignition and... it resolutely would not turn. WIggled the wheel around a little to see if the interlock was being fussy. No dice. It took probably 10 seconds of me staring at the shift lever to finally figure out: I was in the wrong car!

My key would unlock the door, but not start the (her) car.

I used to detail cars and sometimes go on long rants about how cars are sold in pretty much 4 colors.

I ended this rant one time on a Walmart parking lot while driving my fiancee's car. She obviously gets irritated when I do because she has a standard looking silver civic.

We come out of Walmart and she says "oh my gosh!!! What happened to my car?!?!?!?" And points to a silver civic with the bumper completely smashed.

I said, "I parked it over here." And pointed to her car a few spaces over.

Not quite the same appeal but this continues my campaign for more uniquely colored cars so there's less public confusion.

I'm glad it was just a mistake too and nobody got hurt or beat to death.

That is a huge problem with these newfangled keyless ignition cars... But stuff like that happened in olden tymes too. In the early 90s my mother and I drove identical looking-cars. The only difference was that hers had an automatic transmission and techy digital dash. Mine had a manual and analog gauges. We also worked for the same company in adjoining buildings.

Well sure enough, one fine day I walked out to the parking lot, fished my keys out, unlocked the door, plopped into the driver's seat. Stuck my key in the ignition and... it resolutely would not turn. WIggled the wheel around a little to see if the interlock was being fussy. No dice. It took probably 10 seconds of me staring at the shift lever to finally figure out: I was in the wrong car!

My key would unlock the door, but not start the (her) car.

Back in the 80s, my best friend had an identical Dodge minivan to ours. My key would open his door AND start the engine.

I was on a business trip about 10 years ago, fighting through the rush of people trying to get their car from valet guy, to get to work. When my car finally came around, I jumped it and hauled-ass. I got half way to where I was headed, fighting traffic the whole way, when my cell phone rang.

I was on the road so much, all the rental cars just ran together. In my haste, I jumped in the wrong car, tipped the valet, and hit the road. When they called me, I picked-up an Avis bill that was in the centre console and sure-as-sh!t there was another dude’s name.

He was LIVID when I rolled-up to the valet with his car. I knew he’d be upset so I had a plan ready to go. He was now going to be at least 45 minutes late for work and it was 100% my fault. So, I walked up, looked at this guy clenching his jaw, offered him a sincere apology and $20 for beer. He held up his hands and said "I don't want your damn money, man!" I stuffed the $20 in his shirt pocket, asked him to have a beer or two at dinner on my dime, and consider how bad I must be feeling over such a stupid mistake.

Now, I get to share the story with you. Worth $20? I think so. :)

Last edited:
NOW THAT! Is a great story! Poor kid:(...or clever car thief that took As car on a joy ride? :cool:

One question...what the hell is a Weeny World?o_O Sounds like a theme park the Griswolds would make a cross country trip to visit.
Wait...is that an actual place? :eek:

Last edited:
So, if this had happened to you all, and we substitute your favorite PRS for the golf clubs, would you be more upset about your car or your guitar? :eek:

Well that depends...was the Jeep one of the SRTs or a Track Hawk by chance? o_O

So, if this had happened to you all, and we substitute your favorite PRS for the golf clubs, would you be more upset about your car or your guitar? :eek:

I can't see it going down that way in my world.

I lock my car unless it's in my garage. Always. Bless its heart, it won't let me lock it if the keys are inside. And I'd be hard pressed to leave any guitar in a car unattended.

Golf clubs would be a different matter. Granted, I don't know much of anything about golf clubs. I assume they're mostly metal and consequently not hard to tune if they get cold or hot.

Back in the 80s, my best friend had an identical Dodge minivan to ours. My key would open his door AND start the engine.

Dodge was real bad about that back then. My '91's key would open and start more than a few Dodge/Plymouth/Chryslers sitting in the company lot. Sometimes I could just unlock the door but not start the engine, but if you finessed the key around a bit in the ignition, more times than not, it would start. First time I ever tried it, the car was a manual trans and I didn't pay attention and just cranked it over leaning in from the passenger side, to say I was surprised as it jumped forward would be an understatement. K-cars and their derivatives were especially susceptible to this, I guess this was where the bean counters at Chrysler found a way to save money after their bankruptcy.

Back