Warm Or Bright? Fat Or Thin?

I've just started spending all my playing time with my Bernie after three years of playing my S2 Singlecut almost exclusively. The S2 has BK Rebel Yells which are great rock pickups but I'm getting back into blues again and they're a little too hot for this. My Bernie has the BK Abraxas set which are overwound PAF types - more mids than a PAF and a slightly attenuated top end. They're very vintage sounding and a perfect fit for the stuff I'm currently playing. They are capable of warm fat sounds but knock the mids on the amp back a bit and they sound like great PAFs.

I've just started spending all my playing time with my Bernie after three years of playing my S2 Singlecut almost exclusively. The S2 has BK Rebel Yells which are great rock pickups but I'm getting back into blues again and they're a little too hot for this. My Bernie has the BK Abraxas set which are overwound PAF types - more mids than a PAF and a slightly attenuated top end. They're very vintage sounding and a perfect fit for the stuff I'm currently playing. They are capable of warm fat sounds but knock the mids on the amp back a bit and they sound like great PAFs.

Loved the Abraxas in my Bernie, too.

Easy ... Bright!

There are a multitude of ways to fatten 'bright', but it's exceptionally difficult to effectively brighten 'warm'.

Good god..........what an impossible question to answer!

IF I decided on my McCarty "warm" then I'd be happy until I needed to sparkle a little.

IF I decided on cu24 "bright" then I'd be happy until I needed that warm 8515 neck pickup.

I love how my cu24 gets a little brighter when I roll down vol pot but fattens up with full on volume.

I'd love for my McCarty to act that way on the 5909 I have in bridge position but there is no way I'm willing to sacrifice the warmth of that wonderful 8515 neck pickup to get that.

I'm sorry.....boot me off the forum.........I can't make a decision.

BTW......I'm downstairs working on music and what two guitars do I have out?????

Cu24 and McCarty

Bright and Thin for me as it fits in with my bands mix more often than not. I'd say my CE is bright and thin but can get warm(er) when needed on the neck pickup or middle in HB with some tone rolled off. But pretending that it couldn't get warmer when needed, I'd have to choose the bright. Although if we didn't have the other guitarist, I'd go with the warmer tone guitar I think.

On a side not, thin is not a nice sounding description for guitar tone, but that is exactly what I call it when I need to get bright on rhythm to come through the mix. LOL.

Back