And Now For Something Completely Different...

Congrats on that DGT. That's pretty much the only PRS I'm curious about. Never even seen one in the flesh, let alone played one.
Thanks!

I've barely scratched the surface of what can be done with it. But here are a few things I like about it so far:

I can get tones reasonably similar to a Tele, or even a guitar with more high frequency overtones, like a Strat. Not exact, of course, the guitars are obviously different in construction, pickups, etc. but it will head in those sonic directions if desired. Close enough for my purposes.

It'll do what a McCarty does, since that's what it's based on. And that's a lot of desirable things in another direction.

The neck carve reminds me of a cross between a 60s Fender and 60s Gibson. It feels different from other PRS necks, but it's very nice to work with.

The fret size makes using the medium gauge 11s comfortable. I like the extra-tight twang I seem to be able to get with them, and I find that heavier strings tend to stay in tune better for me when fretting.

They're also less wiggly-wobbly when strummed, more like a good acoustic. However I have to be more precise about fingering, which is probably a good thing.

Mine's pretty light weight, and my back is thanking me for it! ;)

I'm happy for you, Les, the DGT is one of 3 holy grail PRS guitars for me and one I strongly considered when buying my Custom. If Peach Guitars had one that day, I would return home with it. Yours is extremely cute; I could swear I have seen it somewhere window-shopping online. If I ever buy one more dual HB guitar, it will be the DGT.
Glad you like it!

It was on Northeast Music Center's website and in an unboxing video. Maybe you saw it there if surfing their site? I think Jack sometimes displays his inventory on Reverb, too. I don't know if this one was posted there.

it helps me out of the rut that was the very reason I decided I needed a different guitar
Isn't that the solution to every rut on this forum?

My semi-educated guess about the coil taps/splits is that it's a tap which would have allowed DG to dial in the single coil / humbucker balance that he wanted. IIRC PRS tried about 40 different versions to get it right.

So glad that it's up to your exacting standards!

For my simple needs I think it'll be fine. Don't have a SD card yet. That should come in the mail today.

Since I know nothing about navigating a DAW, I'm thinking of starting with something like Audacity.

Just to get a feel.
Studio One is great, but there are some good freebies out there, too!

Since I know nothing about navigating a DAW, I'm thinking of starting with something like Audacity.
Traditionally, DAWs are based on what was once called a MIDI sequencer (no audio recording, they just played back MIDI gear). Audio recording into a typical computer wasn't really feasible until well into the '90s - computers simply couldn't handle the data fast enough.

I had the highest end Mac of the early DAW years running Sound Designer II, the precursor to Pro Tools. It could barely run two channels.

For a long time, both sequencers and DAWs either fit into the paradigm of a linear tape machine, or the paradigm of the drum machine, where sections of songs (in Logic 'regions') could be strung together to create an arrangement.

DAWs like Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Universal Audio's Luna are examples of the linear tape machine paradigm; Logic is an example of the drum machine-style paradigm that allows for very fast creation of arrangements, repeated parts, etc.

At this point in time, these have all adopted features of the other paradigm, so they are all able to do very similar things. Some do these alternate things faster than others. But the basic operations still have some differences.

Now, of course, there is Ableton, which is yet another popular paradigm, where bits and pieces were originally strung together by pressing buttons on a controller.

All of these are equally desirable, they're simply different in concept.

If you're used to using tape, it might be easier to understand basic operations in a program like Pro Tools, DP, or others based on the tape machine paradigm.

Whether it's easy to get your head around a different paradigm like Logic's is dependent on how your brain conceptualizes things. I can do both, having spent 2/3 of my career with Digital Performer (and occasionally Pro Tools), and a third with Logic.

But Logic was hard for me at first, because I was used to the linear tape machine paradigm. It took me a few weeks to learn it, despite being expert at DP. At some point the light bulb went on in my head and I understood what it was about. Now I fly on it.

I don't know what the hell to do in Ableton at all.

Logic now has an alternate method of operating that works like Ableton. I'm mystified by it. I don't think that way. My son loves it, though; it's huge in pop production.

In any case, if you understand what the developers were thinking of as the paradigm for the software, you can make a choice that may be easier for you to learn.

Sounds to me like you're used to the tape machine and how it operates. You might want to concentrate on DAWs based on virtual linear tape operation if that makes more sense to you.

I have no idea at all which paradigm DAWs other than Pro Tools, Luna, Digital Performer and Logic are based on, so I can't make any suggestions. Cubase might be similar to Logic in concept, but I'm not sure. Logic was originally by Emagic, a German company, as was Cubase, and something tells me these were similar in concept.

People tend to get the DAW that looks slick, or that their friends recommend, or that's free, but the fact that someone else finds it easy to work one way or the other doesn't mean you will get your head around the concepts the way someone else does, because we're all different. Understanding this will save you a lot of mental wear and tear.

Last edited:
Man, I‘ve had two. An Antique White one, and a Solano burst AP. Love the neck shape and the bigger frets. I’m a complete idiot for selling both of them. The AP was pretty special, too. So happy to hear you’re happy with yours!
Thanks! The more I play it, the more I like it.

Incidentally, I have it on good authority that DGTs are still being sold...

Might be tempting to check out Jack's recent WL run; he spec'd some interesting tonewood combinations, like ribbon mahogany backs, some with maple necks, different fretboards, etc. I don't know how many are left, but if mine's any indication, they sound pretty sweet and a bit different from the stock model.

Not that I want to be an enabler or anything... ;)

It just occurred to me that all of my current electric guitars have tone woods and construction methods in common. They all have:

African Mahogany backs
South American Mahogany necks
Maple Tops
Rosewood fretboards - several varieties
Nitro finishes
Solid bodies
Set necks

I'm not suggesting that these combinations are best, just that they seem to work well for me.

I haven't kept a single electric guitar long-term that's had a maple neck, an ebony fretboard, a South American mahogany back, hollow/semi-hollow construction, or a bolt on neck, and I've had very fine examples of all of them.

To my great surprise, because I love a good vintage tone, I haven't kept any with 58/15 pickups, either, whether original, LT, and/or TCI. I've had four with these pickups. Two had the tone wood combinations referred to above. As to those two, maybe I'd have kept them if I'd had the presence of mind to swap pickups, but if it was the pickups, I didn't realize it at the time. Can't be a coincidence.

Of my current guitars no two have the same pickups. I have 85/15s, 57/08s, Narrow 408s, and DGT. While the DGT is new, the other guitars have been here 7-9 years.

Nor do any two of my electrics have the same neck. I have DGT, 594 scale length with a Pattern neck (20th PS Anniversary Ltd), 24.5 with a Pattern neck, and 25 with Pattern Regular. So scale length and carve don't seem to matter all that much.

Satin or unfinished necks don't seem to work for my hands; those have come and gone the fastest. I have no idea why. Even my bass and acoustic have gloss necks.

Yet I love maple bodies and necks, and ebony fretboards and bridges on acoustics. My previous Collings models had these woods, too.

I think the listed woods and build types are my thing at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks! The more I play it, the more I like it.

Incidentally, I have it on good authority that DGTs are still being sold...

Might be tempting to check out Jack's recent WL run; he spec'd some interesting tonewood combinations, like ribbon mahogany backs, some with maple necks, different fretboards, etc. I don't know how many are left, but if mine's any indication, they sound pretty sweet and a bit different from the stock model.

Not that I want to be an enabler or anything... ;)
Yeah, I have a half dozen DGTs on my Watch List now!

That was a fun watch Les, thanks.
Evidently buying one isn't enough; playing one isn't enough; obsessing over it...might not be enough.

There should probably be a warning sticker on my posts saying, "The surgeon general has issued a mental health warning about joining Lazl on his journey down a very, very deep DGT rabbit hole..." ;)

Seriously, I want to learn all I can about the darn thing, and get info about how some of the guitarists whose work I admire are using it. Might inspire my own creativity, provide a few pointers, etc.

My favorite bit in the video was listening to Grissom's gloriously thick tone in the opening.

Last edited:
Evidently buying one isn't enough; playing one isn't enough; obsessing over it...might not be enough.

There should probably be a warning sticker on my posts saying, "The surgeon general has issued a mental health warning about joining Lazl on his journey down a very, very deep DGT rabbit hole..." ;)

Seriously, I want to learn all I can about the darn thing, and get info about how some of the guitarists whose work I admire are using it. Might inspire my own creativity, provide a few pointers, etc.

My favorite bit in the video was listening to Grissom's gloriously thick tone in the opening.

It is such a versatile guitar.

Check out YT videos of Rob Harris, using his.

It is such a versatile guitar.

Check out YT videos of Rob Harris, using his.
Thanks for the tip! Will do.

[Edit]

Of course I immediately googled and watched one. Great tip on how he gets the funky tones that I might not have thought about a DGT for!

It's interesting; in another video with Tim Pierce that followed the Rob Harris vid, he says he thinks the DGT may be the best PRS. Hmmm. The ones I have all do unique things, so I dunno if I share the notion that there's a pecking order - the comparisons are apples and oranges, to my way of thinking.

He also says when he got it, he lowered the action and put .009s on it, no issues. Apparently he likes his action far lower than they come from the factory, too.

I like a medium action, maybe a tiny bit lower than factory with a scoche less neck relief. Counter-intuively, if it's super-low, I find the playing a little more difficult, not less so. It's harder to get my fingertips in the right place to bend the strings.

One thing I plan to try is a set of pure nickel wrap strings; that's what I use on my other electrics. There's a solidity of tone that appeals to me, and I'd like to hear how the DGT responds. Might be good, might be better to me with the stock strings.

Last edited:
Satin or unfinished necks don't seem to work for my hands; those have come and gone the fastest. I have no idea why. Even my bass and acoustic have gloss necks.
Me too, Les. Ive gotten rid of a few perfectly good guitars because of "satin" necks. It just seems like a cheapa#* way to do things to me. Also, a glossy neck just seems to work better for my hands. I understand that some folks want satin necks, and, Im glad they are available for them!

I stumbled onto this video this AM.

Great video! Haven't seen that one in a long time. I signed up for Tim's Masterclass back in December. I haven't mastered much :oops: although it really helps to take me into a different direction when I'm in a rut.

Back