wanting a Santana

tonytester

PIC YOUR STRINGS WISELY
I am thinking of getting a Santana to add to my collection,
what should i look for , I see a few for sale santana II , and some santana III what is the difference .
prices are from 2 to 3, K. I don't know what neck carves were available, or if the components are the same . any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Hmm good overall but there are NO chambers in a Santana , PRS Scale is normally 25" and Gibson 24.75" with the Santana being 24.5" The Santanas I have played and owned had a body thickness like a CU22 so the weights reasonable but they are not uber lightweight like the Mira. and last I don't find the Santana to be vintage sounding , the Santana pickups remind me dragon IIs to be honest
Great Guitars they are

The retro is my favorite version of the model and I see them regularly sub 8 lbs. if weight is a concern. They have the best headstock and the sexiest lines imho. All of them have the the santana neck carve and prs is doing the best fret work they have ever done these days. I would take a retro over a 1 or 2 for weight and playability and these days I tend to feel the smaller neck heel has an actual tonal benefit (ymmv), but subtle. That's a topic for another thread though.

Edit: I am not intending to be negative on the older models, but the new production ones are really spectacular.

I have a Santana II from 2003, Brazilian board, vintage yellow.

I love the scale length, and the girth of the neck. It is the best PRS neck carve, IMO.

To me the guitar is sweet and chimey. Open with nice output, but not hot or overwound sounding. They sound nothing like Dragon II pickups to me.

Last edited:
Back