Vela Petition ;)

Ass Kazz says, PRS does respond to market demand. If they get enough calls for satin finishes from customers through dealers, they'll make 'em.

I think it would be a mistake to expect a big reduction in price for a satin finish, however. Just as much labor goes into a great satin finish as a gloss.

S2 Standard Satin for xxx is already a bargain for many of us.
I'm sure other people are pleased with that price tag.
As long as upcoming satin S2 guitars are priced the same, I'm buying them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ass Kazz says, PRS does respond to market demand. If they get enough calls for satin finishes from customers through dealers, they'll make 'em.

I think it would be a mistake to expect a big reduction in price for a satin finish, however. Just as much labor goes into a great satin finish as a gloss.

I wouldn't call the S2 satin finish great though. At least not like the ME, for example. They skip a step by not filling the grain, which in turn also means less sanding time, because you don't have to worry about a perfectly smooth finish. It's definitely a cheaper, faster process.

Definitely not knocking it at all. Doing it that way has its own advantages, one of them being the reduced cost.

I could imagine a Vela with a Bigsby and satin finish. Wouldn't hold my breath on 24 frets or a PRS vibrato, but who knows.

Well, ya know, this isn't exactly Burger King.....

But, become a successful and popular musician and PRS just might make you whatever you want...

Are you sure they skip the grain filling? that's kind of important in a long- lasting finish...

I would have thought that they used much the same finish materials and really only did less buffing.

I'm not being pedantic, I really don't know and am curious.

Just a thought: it's possible to put a gotoh, or wilkinson style steel block trem in a vela but you would have to increase the back thickness by about 1/4" or so. Keep it at 22 frets, use a satin finish to keep costs down, or equal to what it is now. I haven't done exact measurements, but I will start the process over the next week. Also, one other cost savings measure would be to eliminate the tremolo cover. I realize that it would entail changing the cad/cam settings, but once that was done, it would be fairly easy. I think they would sell like hot cakes, based on the response by this forum, and by my own limited research. At the very least, I think it's worth a look.... Just my 2 cents! I love my vela, but these changes would make it a killer guitar!

Are you sure they skip the grain filling? that's kind of important in a long- lasting finish...

I would have thought that they used much the same finish materials and really only did less buffing.

I'm not being pedantic, I really don't know and am curious.

Nah, grain filler is only needed if you want to get a totally smooth surface on open grain woods. Oak kitchen cabinets are a good example of unfilled; you can see and feel the texture of the grain. Same deal with the mahogany on the S2 Satin (and the previous mid-00's Standard Satins) and the Gibson faded series. Swamp ash looks especially cool unfilled.

Back