Unique NGD

Yeah, now THAT is a cool NGD. How did you cross paths with it?

Agree. I'm also interested in knowing!

Kevin

It came in with a bunch of new guitars from the factory to my preferred dealer. They let me know some unique things were coming in so I had to grab it. I've purchased a number of prototypes this same way over the years. Oddly enough the prototype angle was not what had me interested this time. Neck & shoulder surgeries have made me quite sensitive to guitar weights. There was no way I could pass up a sub 7 pound CU24 with a stop tail.

At this point I think it was a good purchase. Even without using the piezo there are a wide range of sounds available. The tone control is actually usable from 0-10 without getting too muddy or too bright. I think a lot of this has to do with the P22 pickups in it. They are amazingly clear and seem to be high output. Add in the piezo and this guitar has a very unique voice.

I emailed PRS customer service to see if I could get some info on this guitar. They got back to me quickly but I think the records on guitars like this are less than accurate. According to PRS this should have a flame maple 10 top & nickel hardware. Obviously you can paint over a flame top but I'm thinking this doesn't have any maple at all. The sound reminds me of a McCarty Korina so maybe that's what it's made out of. The next time I replace the strings I'm going to remove some of the black paint in the bridge pickup cavity so I can see if there is a glued on top.

Last edited:
That is a really cool score.

Not too many 24-fret stoptails out there, have seen one or two older Customs but no more.

I had a chance to play through both outputs together last night and it was a fun experience. The amps were about 12 feet apart with me in the middle. I used a little reverb, delay, & comp on the acoustic amp and no effects on the electric amp. The sound was huge and put a big smile on my face. Having the amps so far apart is not the most practical set up for cable management but it sure sounded good. We'll see how it goes with the amps next to each other.

One other observation on this P24. It sustains forever.

I've been playing it through one of these with great success so far.

Custom%2020_zpskjjoejpn.jpg

Back