SE Swamp Ash Special

Veetwin

Well, I went and looked at the first one in Brisbane Australia. I then went and looked at another, first one a big Brisbane retailer had coming in. (I had prepaid a deposit)

Best one I have seen in the photos. It is now home in my Lounge. PRS are bringing out some killer guitars in the SE range. Very lucky with my purchase. I rang to tell my wife and she told me to sell at least 2 guitars and hung up on me. Oh well, looks like my Tele is going to a new home.

Who else has a new SAS?

I wonder how long they will stay in the line up. People say that ash is a more expensive wood and a little harder to get these days.

Cheers everyone!

Ash trees in many areas have been killed by insects eating everything inside the bark, so basically no food flows in the tree. There are dozens fallen down in the forest behind my house.
I've thought about this.. and I'm sure there's a logical answer. If the trees are already falling or being cut down here as a prevention, why don't we have more Ash for guitars? Taylor scavenges ebony left behind on the forest floor that didn't make the grade in the ebony boom. Why don't we have something similar for Ash? Especially the trees I've seen be cut down that appear more or less healthy, but at risk, and a preventative measure.

More Ash guitars would be fantastic!

I've thought about this.. and I'm sure there's a logical answer. If the trees are already falling or being cut down here as a prevention, why don't we have more Ash for guitars? Taylor scavenges ebony left behind on the forest floor that didn't make the grade in the ebony boom. Why don't we have something similar for Ash? Especially the trees I've seen be cut down that appear more or less healthy, but at risk, and a preventative measure.

More Ash guitars would be fantastic!
The preventive cutting down is typically done by municipalities with no interest in recouping any value. There aren’t that many Bob Taylor’s around to advocate pitting the “waste” to good use.

I have watched some stuff on youtube about Swamp Ash. Interesting, looks like it has been hard to get at various times. It also seems to have a positive following in general. The maple neck is very different to the Rosewood. You can feel the maple vibrating. What do others think. Strangely enough there are plenty of people on youtube who say they should not have sold their SAS guitars, (but of course they did) The SE version is their chance to revisit. It will be very interesting to see what happens to this model. It will either become discontinued due to supply problems and be revered, or maybe just stop selling once everyone that wants one has so. They are hard to get at the moment, especially the Iri Blue.

The preventive cutting down is typically done by municipalities with no interest in recouping any value. There aren’t that many Bob Taylor’s around to advocate pitting the “waste” to good use.
Truth to that for sure. The utility companies just clearing branches from my power lines is something I've always wanted to be present for if possible. How they wanted to destroy this tree one time was way over the necessary amount. Luckily, we found a happy compromise.

Should start a swap ash removal and guitar repurpose company! One of my favorite woods, win win.

Well, I went and looked at the first one in Brisbane Australia. I then went and looked at another, first one a big Brisbane retailer had coming in. (I had prepaid a deposit)

Best one I have seen in the photos. It is now home in my Lounge. PRS are bringing out some killer guitars in the SE range. Very lucky with my purchase. I rang to tell my wife and she told me to sell at least 2 guitars and hung up on me. Oh well, looks like my Tele is going to a new home.

Who else has a new SAS?

I wonder how long they will stay in the line up. People say that ash is a more expensive wood and a little harder to get these days.

Cheers everyone!

Swamp ash in the southern US has an insect infestation right now so the supply is very low. Forget a one piece swamp ash body-you would be lucky to get a three piece body, any brand.

Swamp ash in the southern US has an insect infestation right now so the supply is very low. Forget a one piece swamp ash body-you would be lucky to get a three piece body, any brand.
Warmoth has one piece and you can buy blanks from Stewmac.. some of the seSAS are two pieces as well.

But, yes there is an swamp ash tree issue in the states for sure that's begging for a company to scavenge it up and distribute to us guitar junkies..

Warmoth has one piece and you can buy blanks from Stewmac.. some of the seSAS are two pieces as well.

But, yes there is an swamp ash tree issue in the states for sure that's begging for a company to scavenge it up and distribute to us guitar junkies..

Not saying you can't get it,it's just hard to get.

I'm digging my new SAS! Not my best guitar by far but I just can't seem to put it down.. it's definitely got some mojo going on thats just magical.

I found a fender one piece swamp ash body under the luthiers bench at my local guitar shop.. lol, had a couple dings from people dropping tools on it but I talked the owner into selling it to me for $200 and then proceeded to build a awesome fiddle around it. :)

Ash trees in many areas have been killed by insects eating everything inside the bark, so basically no food flows in the tree. There are dozens fallen down in the forest behind my house.
Yes, I’ve mentioned this before here, but over 2200 Ash trees were cut down at the state park near our home (that we came and kayak at a lot). Ash bore came through and wiped out 50% of the shaded areas in the campground and all through the park. It was rampant in our area for a couple years. :(

There’s hardly any blue ones available. That color took off like a rocket. Best to order now with the special price till the end of the year. I kept my original, but I’m still fighting myself about getting an SE. A buddy of mine got one, and it’s killer. We traded guitars for a set a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed.

There’s hardly any blue ones available. That color took off like a rocket. Best to order now with the special price till the end of the year. I kept my original, but I’m still fighting myself about getting an SE. A buddy of mine got one, and it’s killer. We traded guitars for a set a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed.
Yep..
Thats what I did.

Back