Unexpected NGD

ElrytNamrogo

My name be scrambled
When these were announced, I really liked the control setup. It was exactly what my preference would be if I had spec'd out a Private Stock or something. However, I was not in the market for a new guitar whatsoever. I just picked up my Wood Library 24-08 a little over a year ago, and am still in love with that guitar. Plus, with the holiday season, well my mind just hasn't been on getting any guitar stuff - more-so just focusing on getting our boys taken care of.

Anyways, wife sent me a screenshot of one of these in a local shop so I figured I go try it out. I was interested in the new pickups and finish. I had a half-day at work last Friday, so I cruised over to check it out. Well, after trying it out, I couldn't get the tone, feel, and play-ability out of my head. Trying my damnedest to resist the urge and not further stress the already stressful, time of year, the wife and I discussed it and we ended up agreeing on it.

Anyways, without further ado...35th Anniversary Custom 24
Bjh76Oc.jpg

M9v8Ewy.jpg
VskzdAA.jpg

This is my first try at the 85/15 variants and these are incredible. Very modern, very clear, very lively. I haven't had a chance to run it through my gigging rig yet, but through my little 5w tube amp at home, it sings with clarity. They're definitely more modern sounding than the 58/15MT's in my 24-08....I'm excited to see what they can do with my 60W HT Soloist.

gv6lz4N.jpg

I never include the tremolo arm in my photos, so I figured I'd change it up a bit....

ur6EV5Q.jpg

The top on this thing is monstorous and pictures don't quite do it justice...

gGVSQ95.jpg
e7XokZq.jpg

I also really like the old-school birds, which are kind of simple and understated. However, under light they have quite a bit of ripple to them. Needless to say, they're beautiful.

BUEuJjf.jpg

The back looks great and I like the look of the gold screws in the back plates.

Dd8Ty1G.jpg

Also my first Pattern-thin neck, which so far, is my favorite profile. My other two 24-fretters are both Pattern Regular, so we'll see how my hands feel after a good practice / show with this one. My Custom 22 has the wide thin, so I figure it'll be similar to that.
5MSrHm8.jpg

Here's a couple pics with it next to my 24-08. Same but different, and all that....

yPVmnnv.jpg
fNyhEGi.jpg
TR5YzoS.jpg

Last Christmas, the wife got me the silver Birds In Flight strap. This past spring, I got one of the limited

BwgyAFo.jpg

Internal Server Error cut out some of my post, and I can't seem to fix it, so...

I was going to say the "limited" Fire Red strap from Brian's Guitars.

And in conclusion:

In terms of the new finish, it feels incredibly smooth and very light weight. I'm used to my rosewood necked guitars, so this is considerably lighter. I'm loving everything about this one, for sure.

When I get my Custom 24 back from the PTC, I'll post an updated "Family Photo."

Thanks for checking it out!

awesome! Congrats! I'm loving mine, too!

I wonder why some have the gold tuner knobs, and some have the ivory (mine does, too)? It wasn't mentioned in the description anywhere.

Fantastic!
It looks perfect.
Enjoy.

Thanks! It definitely plays as good as it looks! I feel like, with the new finish, the neck feels a bit smoother and less sticky than the neck on my 2012 Custom 24. It's at the PTC right now being re-cleared, so I'm not sure what they'll refinish it with....hopefully it's this finish!

That 35th is incredible! Congrats on the beautiful pair as well.

Thank you! I was kinda worried that I may be getting something a bit similar to something I already have....well, not really because I have absolutely no issue with having two identical guitars. But with pesky finances and all that, it was great to find that they're really quite different from each other in terms of sound (both plugged and unplugged), weight, and feel.

Bangin’!

And sangin'!

Smokin'! Congrats!!!

Thank you! I'm super excited!

awesome! Congrats! I'm loving mine, too!

I wonder why some have the gold tuner knobs, and some have the ivory (mine does, too)? It wasn't mentioned in the description anywhere.

Yeah, your's is absolutely gorgeous, too! That aquamarine is so pretty!

I haven't seen any with gold tuning buttons, but I do know they're offered in the Artist Package, so maybe that's where the gold comes in?

I like them both ;)

As do I....as do I :D

That one's a keeper! Congrats!

Yeah, definitely re-affirms my "I prefer not to sell guitars and would rather just add to my collection" motto I have going. :rolleyes:

Sweet top!

Right? Most I've seen online, the tops are killer. Seeing this one in person kinda took my breath away a bit.

WOW! that's awesome.

Hey, will your wife call mine please? I'm not on the naughty list!

Haha! Yeah, I'm constantly humbled by my wife's saint-like patience and support of this rabbit-hole of a hobby I have.

Beautiful guitar! Congrats

Thank you!

Very nice guitar there. I especially like the pearl in the birds and the headstock eagle is great.

Yeah, when I first saw the birds online, I kinda thought they would just be plain old birds. But once I saw this one in the shop, and how much texture and depth they had, I was pretty surprised and, of course, drawn to it. :)

Yeah man! That thing is killer! Props to your wife for spotting it, and calling your attention to it!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm such an incredibly lucky man. The shop here locally is a tiny little shop....tiny little building with maybe 40 or 50 total guitars (they even hand-write all their receipts). She follows them on Facebook (I'm not on Facebook) and will show me guitars she thinks I will like (they're all PRS, btw) and this was one of them. Neither one of us thought it would lead to a purchase, but a lot of the time these things happen.

On another note, it makes me really happy when I get to support this local shop. The store has seen many different names over the years as ownership has changed / been passed on to the employees who work there. So anytime I'm able to bring home a guitar from their shop, it brings me great joy.

Awesome Guitar! The 2408 isn’t too bad either LOL
The top looks fantastic Especially with charcoal finish. I agree I love the old-school birds. Nice touch for the 35th anniversary is the small pre-factory bird on the headstock. Enjoy it and merry Christmas

Back