Trying too hard to like a guitar.

Don't try too hard to like a particular guitar. Twice in my life I have owned a guitar for 20 years or more that I never bonded with and eventually ended up selling. In one instance it was after tone chasing with it for a while, trying all different sorts of pickups, saddles, etc until I realized I was never gonna get it to sound the way I wanted. Traded it for something else that plays and sounds "right" and have not looked back.

Had that with my SECU24.

Loved the look of it and the sound of the bridge pup and the trem system. Just couldn't bond with the neck. Spent hours adjusting the action and whatnot to find a happy medium with no luck. Sold it in the end and put the money to better use. Managed to break an acoustic a few weeks ago so I'm down 2 guitars in the past 6 months. :( Still got my Bernie and Strat that I love so not the end of the world. Just feel a bit silly that I raved about it so much to start with... Probably trying to convince myself. Bit like a relationship with someone who looks great but you just know is wrong for you in the long run. I didn't ebay her though!

The guy that works on my guitars could do that for you hell he put a new fingerboard on an Ibanez I had

And what is it with all you soft dudes sayin' I should give the guitar to a kid? Screw the kids... I'd rather give it to one of y'all. :girl:

Who you calling soft???

images

Serg, I have a SE CU 24 I can't seem to bond with as well. It is the only guitar I seem to have tuning issues with. Bridge is good, locking tuners are good, but when i go to any tuning change, it takes too long to get the thing into a stable tune. Maybe I should only get stop-tail bridge SE's. I have not issue with the SE SC I have, but it is a stop-tail bridge. :confused: I don't have this issue with any of my core line or my son's squier strat!!!

Had that with my SECU24.

Loved the look of it and the sound of the bridge pup and the trem system. Just couldn't bond with the neck. Spent hours adjusting the action and whatnot to find a happy medium with no luck. Sold it in the end and put the money to better use. Managed to break an acoustic a few weeks ago so I'm down 2 guitars in the past 6 months. :( Still got my Bernie and Strat that I love so not the end of the world. Just feel a bit silly that I raved about it so much to start with... Probably trying to convince myself. Bit like a relationship with someone who looks great but you just know is wrong for you in the long run. I didn't ebay her though!

I spent some time on the action as well. I normally like it a bit high but felt the bass strings needed to come down so I could get a little more "snap" and brighten things up... Still gonna mess around with it.

Great to see you 'round here again, Mike!

Serg, I have a SE CU 24 I can't seem to bond with as well. It is the only guitar I seem to have tuning issues with. Bridge is good, locking tuners are good, but when i go to any tuning change, it takes too long to get the thing into a stable tune. Maybe I should only get stop-tail bridge SE's. I have not issue with the SE SC I have, but it is a stop-tail bridge. :confused: I don't have this issue with any of my core line or my son's squier strat!!!

Yeah, I've been having issues with the G string biding at the nut on this one too. I know I can get it whipped into shape with some attention to detail and a little work though. I put my SE "O" away for a minute so I won't be tempted to make a direct comparison.

Whatever... it's a fine guitar and I'm so spoiled now with having more choices than ever before with me now having a pile of PRS and SE's to choose from. I guess I'm just whining.

Whatever... it's a fine guitar and I'm so spoiled now with having more choices than ever before with me now having a pile of PRS and SE's to choose from. I guess I'm just whining.
I thought that too, but you like champagne more than wine!!!!

Seriously, I think it is an expectation we have become accustomed to. I love the neck on the SECU 24, but the tuning issues are driving me crazy. :(

I thought that too, but you like champagne more than wine!!!!

Seriously, I think it is an expectation we have become accustomed to. I love the neck on the SECU 24, but the tuning issues are driving me crazy. :(

I used to like saying I was a wino 'cause I thought it sounded better than saying I was an alcoholic... You know, a wino just kind of sounds like you could've been somebody at one time before you fell from grace... But I think the vendors at the EXP wine cart might disagree with me.

Sometimes filing the nuts properly can be tricky, but you can't give up!

I have a few more ideas of things to try, besides the one I suggested the other day.

These may be obvious but...

Different strings, a different pick (yeah I know but sometimes it makes a big difference!), a different amp/pedal chain, etc., and finally, listen to someone else playing it. Might give you a different perspective as to how it sounds and what to do with it.

If all this doesn't work, well, WTF do I know, I'm from Detroit.

Back