Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Blank

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Third party / non-oem

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Milsco

Bit of a random question, but that’s what forums are for I guess

Anybody else prefer a blank truss rod cover over one with the model name on it?

For reference I’ve recently changed my CU24 to a blank and think it looks much cleaner.

F855-F800-F354-4-EE3-BE94-F3-E334-BACD94.jpg

Here are my PRSi headstocks. Green (McCarty 594 HBII) and blue (CU24) are aftermarket stained maple for both TRC and tuner buttons, center one (CU24 PS) is stock, wood on that one is Hormigo.

Headstocks_2023Jun08.jpg

@docteurseb did the staining on the aftermarket ones for me ;~)) He also did stainded maple back plates for the blue one!

I didn't vote because for me it doesn't really matter. As long as it has a cover I am good. I like some of the ones I have seen with the eagle inlay but I don't have any of those. All of my PRS guitars have the stock TRC on them.

I didn't vote because for me it doesn't really matter. As long as it has a cover I am good. I like some of the ones I have seen with the eagle inlay but I don't have any of those. All of my PRS guitars have the stock TRC on them.
This is me, really. Although I also like to leave the stock TRC on there if it includes the Model name, but I have some that are blank (but I think that was stock in those cases, but might have been changed by a previous owner), and one custom TRC (Sergio's old DC3).

I do play with the idea of getting one or more custom TRCs, but never get around to it. I think I know what I want, but can't find it (Welsh Dragon), and fear what the "custom design from scratch" would cost me...

I had to take a look at my guitars to remember what kind of TRCs they have. My recent Cores have the model name. The PS models match the wood on the headstock.

Every time I've put a non-stock TRC on a guitar, even beautifully made, fancy ones, I've taken it off after a short time. So in recent years, I've just left them stock.

The TRC is such a prosaic part, I feel the guitar is too tarted up when I put a fancy one on.

However, there are plenty of guitars with fancy TRCs that look great to me - probably because they aren't mine, and I don't know how they looked in the first place! ;)

Last edited:
To be fair, the truss rod cover is not something I ever think about. I voted for "model name" only because all 6 of my PRS happen to have the model name on the cover, which is how they arrived from PRS. Some of the custom covers shown by others are really cool. I am just not that creative.

I voted blank, I have a blank one on my black Vela and one of my CE-22’s (black headstock) but I have a rosewood one on my McCarty Burst Vela and a flame maple one on my other CE-22 (one-off maple fretboard and headstock).

Maybe it’s just me but I honestly don’t really care about the trc.
I don’t find my eyes drawn to it when looking at a guitar.
So whatever came on the guitar when I bought it works for me whether it was stock or not.
Unless it was hideous then it might have to go but not in that situation on any I own.

This is me, really. Although I also like to leave the stock TRC on there if it includes the Model name, but I have some that are blank (but I think that was stock in those cases, but might have been changed by a previous owner), and one custom TRC (Sergio's old DC3).

I do play with the idea of getting one or more custom TRCs, but never get around to it. I think I know what I want, but can't find it (Welsh Dragon), and fear what the "custom design from scratch" would cost me...
Welsh dragon would be cool!

Back