Tried a new CE24 today...

I don't know if any of you have seen this or not, but this is a fabulous comparison of the CE24 with a CU24 30th. The CE24 is SPANKISHLY BEAUTIFUL, and it's got good scream. Check it out. LEGIT.

vXAwi6r.jpg

Sorry, here it is!
That is sexy!

I don't think it matters what you call it which I think is what people are getting hung up on. If I put two CE24's with different bridges, I think 3 in 10 would be able to tell the difference and over half of that would argue which one sounds better. Having played one, for a street price of under $2,000, it is a winner.

Think of what also happens. A guy goes out and drops $800 on an SE, changes the bridge, the switching, the pickups, the nut and tuners. What are you left with? A CE for a few hundred bucks less that will have a much lower resale value and yes a quality build but not as well made as a Maryland guitar.

Put all of the semantics aside and go play one. They sound and play great. Think of it this way. My two CE's are within 500 serial numbers of each others but are brothers from another mother. Both very nice but different in their own ways. Arguing over what you call it and who made it is not material to the question if you like it or should you buy it or not.

I think there also ought to be a license for buying musical instruments and recording equipment. Especially, recording equipment. ;)

"I'll need to see your professional recording license, or a discography first."

Ooh... I could raise rates and afford to reinstall the studios champagne fountain!

Who do I write a letter to?

Asking for an extra two or three hundred to outfit a model with the same parts used on its sister models isn't quite the same as asking for 5000$ more.

Yeah, like I was being serious about the private stock suggestion...

Look, if you're selling guitars - I assume you are - and someone comes in and says, I want something like this but I can't spend more than $X, do you try to upsell them to something more expensive, or do you try to meet their price point and give them the best they can get for their budget?

I'm not even being brand specific here. Whatever you feel is best for their budget. Do you try to upsell them and have them exceed their budget?

See, if it's me, and I tell a salesperson I don't want to spend more than X, I don't want to be shown something that costs "only $Y more than X." I tend to distrust that salesperson. I want to be shown things within the price point that I have told the salesperson.

I think most folks are like me in that regard.

I do also think PRS gets that, and that's why you find the CE with a trem that costs less, to meet what they believe is a popular price point.

You may feel differently, and that is of course your right. But as a salesperson in a store, you should know that I'd be the type of customer to say, "Thanks, but I'm not interested," if you try to upsell me.

It's obvious why the carve is slightly different, an se trem was used, and the covers are not recessed... All of those things change the price. That carve must be just slightly easier to produce. Not having to recess the covers and thus not having the extra routing, sanding, and polishing reduces costs. Using the imported bridge reduces the cost a little as well. If the goal was sub $2000 then this is what needed to be done to get there. PRS has never been a shady company... If this is what needed to be done to get there then that's what needed to be done to get there. In business you have to hit a price point. That's why there is the SE standards for sub 500, s2 standards for sub 1000, the CE for sub 2000, and so on... An american trem, core carve, or even recessing the covers would have pushed it over the $2000 figure which means either PRS or the dealers would have to take a hit on their margins to get below that number and that is not good for business.

If you REALLY want one with an american trem then I am sure you can have PTC install one and even have them recess the covers while you are at it... Or you could sell the SE trem for $50 and spent $300 on one and install it yourself... Or just wait 6 months and one of these dealers will get a special run, most likely....

I am looking forward to actually finding a dealer that is stocking one within driving distance... Heck... I'd like to find a dealer stocking the new SE stuff... Or even just an SE acoustic... It's painful in Minnesota! We've decided not to move to AZ though but will be moving back down near my family which is in Dave's backyard making the trip something that can be done on a whim instead of a full day trek... A big reduction in cost of living to go with it... One requirement for the new house is a PRS room! I will reserve a spot for a new CE right next to my old CE.

I know Paul doesn't tend to cut corners but at the same time he has to stay in business in order to continue making these wonderful guitars. PRS is being taken seriously more so than ever... New players are wanting them instead of a F or G but they have to be able to afford them. The more SE's, S2's, and CE's they sell the cooler core and PS masterpieces we will be able to get our hands on as they can offset the risks of innovating with the volume of instruments being sold at the entry levels.

First post. Howdy folks.
I walked into my local B&M today, intending to replace my beloved 2001 Music Man Luke 2 (don't ever sell your guitars... Ever). I gravitated towards the new Gibson LPs. Nothing quite felt right in my hands. Tried some Godins, tried some Tele's... And then I spotted it. The new CE24. I had been gas'ing for a Maryland PRS since I was 14 (about 20 years ago). For many reasons, I had just never found the one for me. I walked over and picked it up, and it just felt RIGHT. I got the same feeling I got when I first picked up my Luke. The price seemed right, but it didn't matter anyways. This was my guitar. I am beyond happy with it. It feels great, looks great, and sounds great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the guitar chooses you!

I tried one out and really liked it as well. My favorite that they had in the shop.

Asking for an extra two or three hundred to outfit a model with the same parts used on its sister models isn't quite the same as asking for 5000$ more. It's PRS that decided to define lines between their guitars. SE, S2, Cores, then Private Stock. And I like that because knowing what line your buying into, you can expect to get certain parts or features that are implented across the board.

But now we're cross-breeding. We're using S2 tuners, and SE trems, but it's sold as a Core. Well which one is it? What other models can we expect to crossover into other lines? It just may add to some confusion is all. I'm not saying it's blasphamis, I just liked having things a little simpler and to know what to expect.

I don't see it being sold as a core model. It's listed separately on the site as a bolt on model.

Back