Tried a new CE24 today...

ChrisCst22

We got in a couple new CE24's at my work. So I decided to take it for a spin. It was fantastic! Super playable and just a great vibe. You definitely hear and feel the maple bolt on neck difference. And it's a good thing! I really enjoyed it.

The body carve difference isn't huge, but noticable if your looking for it. I'm also a little perplexed why they chose the SE trem instead of core. Obviously for cost reasons, but for something that plays and feels like a core, why not go all the way?

Anyway if you get a chance to check them out, you should. I know some people say why not find a clean, used older model CE. I dunno man, these guitars just keep getting better and better. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

And as a side note, I just wanted to voice my appreciation for PRS pickups. I hated them when I first started playing PRS. I'm sure my ear has changed over the years as well, but I feel like since the 57/08's, they just have it figured out. I was blown away at my connection with the 57/08's immediately. It was like, whoa!! These new CE's are 85/15's right? They sounded great. I would need to try it through my rig at home to see the difference but they sure worked for me at the time.

Good job PRS. Keep making the right moves.

Great that we keep getting really reports on them! Glad they seem to be on point with what we expect.

Thanks, Chris - glad you got to play one. The 85/15s in these really sound FANTASTIC! Probably the combination of the uncovered-ness of the pickups plus the maple neck, but the new CE definitely has some attitude!

As I stop trying to chase others' tones and find my own (which God willing I will still have a couple dozen more years to do ;) ) I really have become partial to the PRS pickups, and of course the guitars they come in. I love the old CE24s, with the HFS/VB combo - and that pickup combination was my first PRS "experience" back in 1992. But side-by-side, for what I like now, I'll be damned if I probably wouldn't pick one of the new CEs over an older one.

Now an old alder-bodied CE with a MilComm one-piece bridge and 85/15s...Hmmmmmmm....THAT would be interesting...

I'd love to try one..or buy one for that matter. Where are they? There have only been a few out in the wild. Maybe 20 or so on my various online searches and none in the couple of colors I'm looking for. If PRS is going to roll out something new, you'd figure they'd at least make a few. If anyone finds one in McCarty Tobacco, let me know please :)

We got in a couple new CE24's at my work. So I decided to take it for a spin. It was fantastic! Super playable and just a great vibe. You definitely hear and feel the maple bolt on neck difference. And it's a good thing! I really enjoyed it.

The body carve difference isn't huge, but noticable if your looking for it. I'm also a little perplexed why they chose the SE trem instead of core. Obviously for cost reasons, but for something that plays and feels like a core, why not go all the way?

Anyway if you get a chance to check them out, you should. I know some people say why not find a clean, used older model CE. I dunno man, these guitars just keep getting better and better. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

And as a side note, I just wanted to voice my appreciation for PRS pickups. I hated them when I first started playing PRS. I'm sure my ear has changed over the years as well, but I feel like since the 57/08's, they just have it figured out. I was blown away at my connection with the 57/08's immediately. It was like, whoa!! These new CE's are 85/15's right? They sounded great. I would need to try it through my rig at home to see the difference but they sure worked for me at the time.

Good job PRS. Keep making the right moves.

What!!! the trem is from the SE line???

I have absolutly no doubt the ne guitars play amazingly, besides just a couple of SE that dint feel right, all the PRS that i have played over the last 19 years have been a dream!!!

What!!! the trem is from the SE line???

I have absolutly no doubt the ne guitars play amazingly, besides just a couple of SE that dint feel right, all the PRS that i have played over the last 19 years have been a dream!!!

The trem has been discussed to death already in other threads. If they used a core trem and listed these at 2299 MAP, they'd fly off the shelf. Such a perplexing decision.

The trem has been discussed to death already in other threads. If they used a core trem and listed these at 2299 MAP, they'd fly off the shelf. Such a perplexing decision.

sorry im not folloing those thread and didnt kno about this...boomer to me anyways. Buying a used CE seems like the best deal here, cant seem to find anything else that ould make me spend 2K on a new one hen, to me, the old ones are superior.

sorry im not folloing those thread and didnt kno about this...boomer to me anyways. Buying a used CE seems like the best deal here, cant seem to find anything else that ould make me spend 2K on a new one hen, to me, the old ones are superior.

Good, you keep that used CE market strong buy spending your money there. To say they are superior to this though, is wrong. Or, is it? Neither you nor I have played the new one yet, so how could we decide? Hmmmm..

Many long time PRS players say that the guitars themselves keep getting better, and from every single report we've heard, the pickups alone make this better than an older one. Anyone who writes these off over the trem, without even playing one (and with the Mann Made replacement being so affordable!) is being.... short sighted, I believe is a nice way to put it. Personally, I'm getting more and more interested in these.

Good, you keep that used CE market strong buy spending your money there. To say they are superior to this though, is wrong. Or, is it? Neither you nor I have played the new one yet, so how could we decide? Hmmmm..

Many long time PRS players say that the guitars themselves keep getting better, and from every single report we've heard, the pickups alone make this better than an older one. Anyone who writes these off over the trem, without even playing one (and with the Mann Made replacement being so affordable!) is being.... short sighted, I believe is a nice way to put it. Personally, I'm getting more and more interested in these.

PRS guitars, old and new ones are not bad playing instruments at all, so this is not a case of one paying better then the other. My "superior" comments is based on the carve top and the trem, e can't deny that the old ones are superior on those two points to be fare right?

And those that have bought the new CE I don't et why you take it so personal!!! Lighten up!!, don't expect every one to bite the bullet on the new "improvements" because to me they are not even close.

PRS guitars, old and new ones are not bad playing instruments at all, so this is not a case of one paying better then the other. My "superior" comments is based on the carve top and the trem, e can't deny that the old ones are superior on those two points to be fare right?

And those that have bought the new CE I don't et why you take it so personal!!! Lighten up!!, don't expect every one to bite the bullet on the new "improvements" because to me they are not even close.

But wait, if I'm not biting the bullet neither should you spit it out. Surely that's a two way street. Face it, until you ACTUALLY play one, all you have is supposition. You have an opinion, and, along with everyone else, so do I. I may, or may not, like what they've done, but I won't pass final judgement until I've had a chance to test drive it myself. I really don't get all of the "hate" based on the specs/appointments. I don't like Floyds, but if there's a guitar that rocks my world, and it happens to have a Floyd, I'd be an idiot to pass it up. There are several ways to get around my dislike for that Floyd if everything else is doing it for me.

It's cool. To each his own. I have an older PRS and I love it. But the pickups aren't even close to the three new ones I have, IMHO, and we've heard many guys here lately saying that the new 85/15s are the best they've ever heard. All other things being equal, the newer PRS pickups are game changers IMO. Better than anything I've ever heard. And if they are even AS GOOD AS my 57/08s and 59/09s but different, I'm in!

So if carve is subjective and irrelevant and I concede the old one has a better bridge, then I can still be in one of these with a Mann bridge for around $2K, which is pretty appealing to me.

So by your "carve superiority" standards, all of the DC3s, NF3s and Brent Mason core PRSes must be "inferior" to even the new CE24s...because there isn't a carve on them at all!

This isn't a matter if people taking things personally. It's a matter of you saying something is "superior" when you just mean you like it better. Doesn't mean its better. It's just your preference. Which you are entitled to, and entitled to express. But, respectfully, just because you (or anyone) likes something better, it doesn't necessarily mean it IS better.

I hear The Semantics are playing tonight ;)

The bridge - I will concede that my opinion is that the SE trem and saddles are not made from as high-quality materials as the core trem / saddles. This is based upon feeling the weights of the saddles, and the bridges themselves, by themselves. Based upon what I have heard, experienced, and read, I feel that the more cost-effective SE bridge materials must have some negative effect on the tone.

Not that I have experienced anything of the sort as an owner of a new CE24. It rings loud and sustains just as well as any of my non-PS/WL core PRSes. Stays in tube just the same as well. Design-wise its pretty much identical, just made from cheaper materials.

So I can only imagine what it would sound like with a core or MannMade trem.

I don't think anyone who actually PLAYED a new CE would disagree.

I really hope you get to play one Nicholas!

But

This thread (and the other CE threads and S2 threads) has me wishing that every post that attempts to "review" or make an "analysis" of new models be preceded by a factual ststement on whether the "reviewer" has actually played the guitar they are reviewing.

I've deleted my original post because it was my response while in a foul mood.

Simply put, give the guitar a try before crapping all over it. The SE trem is great (still better than any other brand of non-locking trem), the new carve is a miniscule change, and the 85/15s are worth the money alone imo.

Last edited:
This thread (and the other CE threads and S2 threads) has me wishing that every post that attempts to "review" or make an "analysis" of new models be preceded by a factual ststement on whether the "reviewer" has actually played the guitar they are reviewing.

This should be mandatory in all cases. Also when people ask for recommendations - along with what OTHER contenders the poster has actually tried (people always recommend what they have themselves, even if they haven't tried anything else).

Why is there not a drivers license for the internet?? Maybe that would keep my parents off the damn thing too, and save me from having to be their IT supporter... "I clicked the thing and now it doesn't look like it did before... The BLUE thing! Come on, you know what I mean!"

*sigh*

Back