Tried a new CE24 today...

Why is there not a drivers license for the internet??
*sigh*

LMAO...kinda like we need a license to fish, but anyone can go reproduce ;)

But I digress...

I hope more people get to try out the CE24s, and I hope they do a CE22 with a Pattern neck (same satin nitro finish) and the covered 85/15s. That would also rock!

I own 2 CE's, '95 and '08. This past weekend, I tried a new one at the GC Fenway/Boston store. I thought it felt like a quality Maryland made PRS CE. The tuners were great, and the trem was very smooth. I would absolutely buy one, probably will.

But wait, if I'm not biting the bullet neither should you spit it out. Surely that's a two way street. Face it, until you ACTUALLY play one, all you have is supposition. You have an opinion, and, along with everyone else, so do I. I may, or may not, like what they've done, but I won't pass final judgement until I've had a chance to test drive it myself. I really don't get all of the "hate" based on the specs/appointments. I don't like Floyds, but if there's a guitar that rocks my world, and it happens to have a Floyd, I'd be an idiot to pass it up. There are several ways to get around my dislike for that Floyd if everything else is doing it for me.

Im not questioning playability at all, in any of my comments!!! Its all about the top carve and the trem now.

So by your "carve superiority" standards, all of the DC3s, NF3s and Brent Mason core PRSes must be "inferior" to even the new CE24s...because there isn't a carve on them at all!

This isn't a matter if people taking things personally. It's a matter of you saying something is "superior" when you just mean you like it better. Doesn't mean its better. It's just your preference. Which you are entitled to, and entitled to express. But, respectfully, just because you (or anyone) likes something better, it doesn't necessarily mean it IS better.

Comparing those models you mention is out of the point, this is all about the top carve of the old CEs and the new ones, its not about playability or sound either, its just about top carves and trems, tell me the new top carve and trems are superior to the old ones??? Ill take any old american made trems any day over the SE ones.

This should be mandatory in all cases. Also when people ask for recommendations - along with what OTHER contenders the poster has actually tried (people always recommend what they have themselves, even if they haven't tried anything else).

Why is there not a drivers license for the internet?? Maybe that would keep my parents off the damn thing too, and save me from having to be their IT supporter... "I clicked the thing and now it doesn't look like it did before... The BLUE thing! Come on, you know what I mean!"

*sigh*
Michael, you should enjoy this story. I have a sister who is an expert on everything. My 86 year olld mother decided she needed a new computer. Before anyone could blink, my sister took her out, and dropped 2 grand US on a new one. She then sat down and made a notebook to "help" my mother use her new system. 1 problem. My mother made up a creative password, and then forgot it. My sister forgot to write it down. My mother saw me using my new iPad. It would`ve done everything she wanted. Point is, newer is neither better nor worse. Newer should add something that would be otherwise unavailable. Whatever the cost, if it adds to the stable, a new guitar should be played and then evaluated. I have a tremonti SE with the SE trem, and it sounds great. I`m going to play the CU24, and listen closely to the pickups everyone is drooling over. Then I might post my opinion.

Comparing those models you mention is out of the point, this is all about the top carve of the old CEs and the new ones, its not about playability or sound either, its just about top carves and trems, tell me the new top carve and trems are superior to the old ones??? Ill take any old american made trems any day over the SE ones.

Uhh...read my post. Yes I feel the core trems are made better. Material composition can be analyzed and said to be better or worse for sound transfer, sustain, etc.

The depth of a top carve and it's being superior or inferior is subjective...you can say you like one better than the other, but that's strictly cosmetic.

I actually find it easier to pull up the tone knob for the coil splits without the recess. But I like the look of the recess better.

I'm not writing my responses for you. You like the old CEs. Got it. So do I - I love them. But I want people who may be reading this, and considering a PRS purchase, to have a valid owner's opinion. It would be unfortunate for someone to write off the new CE24 because people who have never played one, let alone compared it side-by-side with other older CEs and other current PRS models, have written it off.

Is it time for pie yet?

Apple Pie
Total Time:
3 hr 30 min
Prep:
1 hr 30 min
Cook:
2 hr
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Level:Intermediate
Ingredients
Dough:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
14 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons cold water
Filling:
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 pounds baking apples like Golden Delicious, Cortland, or Mutsu
2/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on the pie
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, GP. All rights reserved
ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST
Directions
Make the dough by hand. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles yellow corn meal mixed with bean sized bits of butter. (If the flour/butter mixture gets warm, refrigerate it for 10 minutes before proceeding.) Add the egg and stir the dough together with a fork or by hand in the bowl. If the dough is dry, sprinkle up to a tablespoon more of cold water over the mixture.

Make the dough in a food processor. With the machine fitted with the metal blade, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse until it resembles yellow corn meal mixed with bean size bits of butter, about 10 times. Add the egg and pulse 1 to 2 times; don't let the dough form into a ball in the machine. (If the dough is very dry add up to a tablespoon more of cold water.) Remove the bowl from the machine, remove the blade, and bring the dough together by hand.

Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.

Make the filling. Put the lemon juice in a medium bowl. Peel, halve, and core the apples. Cut each half into 4 wedges. Toss the apple with the lemon juice. Add the sugar and toss to combine evenly.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes.

Strain the apples in a colander over a medium bowl to catch all the juice. Shake the colander to get as much liquid as possible. Return the juices to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat until thickened and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the reduced juice and spices. Set aside to cool completely. (This filling can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated or frozen for up to 6 months.)

Cut the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a disc about 11 to 12 inches wide. Layer the dough between pieces of parchment or wax paper on a baking sheet, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.

Place a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan with one of the discs of dough, and trim it so it lays about 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pan. Put the apple filling in the pan and mound it slightly in the center. Brush the top edges of the dough with the egg. Place the second disc of dough over the top. Fold the top layer of dough under the edge of the bottom layer and press the edges together to form a seal. Flute the edge as desired. Brush the surface of the dough with egg and then sprinkle with sugar. Pierce the top of the dough in several places to allow steam to escape while baking. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.

Bake the pie on a baking sheet until the crust is golden, about 50 minutes. Cool on a rack before serving. The pie keeps well at room temperature (covered) for 24 hours, or refrigerated for up to 4 days.

Cook's Note: You may freeze the uncooked pie, but don't brush it with egg or dust it with sugar beforehand. Place the pie in the freezer for 30 minutes, to harden it slightly, and then double wrap it with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 6 months. When ready to bake, unwrap the pie and brush it with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake, from the frozen state, until golden brown, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

From Food Network Kitchens

This should be mandatory in all cases. Also when people ask for recommendations - along with what OTHER contenders the poster has actually tried (people always recommend what they have themselves, even if they haven't tried anything else).

Why is there not a drivers license for the internet?? Maybe that would keep my parents off the damn thing too, and save me from having to be their IT supporter... "I clicked the thing and now it doesn't look like it did before... The BLUE thing! Come on, you know what I mean!"

*sigh*

Don't feel bad.

My 91 yer old mother thinks Facebook is email, and posts the most goofy things. Like the time she posted about a picture my daughter had taken with her two best friends, "You're so much prettier than the other two girls." Or the time one of my nieces was thinking about changing employers, "Good luck with your interviews."

If she clicks a link on an email, she thinks that's email, too. And she'll post a reply to this "email" on whatever the link is.

So yeah. She is dangerous with her iPad.

I think there also ought to be a license for buying musical instruments and recording equipment. Especially, recording equipment. ;)

"Welcome to Guitar Center. May I see your guitarist's license, please?"

"You mean I can't try out a guitar without a license?"

"That's right. We need to make sure that you actually know how to play. It's even more crucial with amps. We aren't going to listen to anyone playing through an amp who isn't good. That's an additional degree requirement."

"OK, I'll just go to your pro audio department."

"I'll need to see your professional recording license, or a discography first."

First post. Howdy folks.
I walked into my local B&M today, intending to replace my beloved 2001 Music Man Luke 2 (don't ever sell your guitars... Ever). I gravitated towards the new Gibson LPs. Nothing quite felt right in my hands. Tried some Godins, tried some Tele's... And then I spotted it. The new CE24. I had been gas'ing for a Maryland PRS since I was 14 (about 20 years ago). For many reasons, I had just never found the one for me. I walked over and picked it up, and it just felt RIGHT. I got the same feeling I got when I first picked up my Luke. The price seemed right, but it didn't matter anyways. This was my guitar. I am beyond happy with it. It feels great, looks great, and sounds great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the guitar chooses you!

Personally I can't wait to try one!

The beautiful thing about being new to PRS is not knowing old technology from new, old carve from new carve or origin of trem.

What I do know is, that if PRS put it out, it can't be bad!

My personal requirements are it has to look good, feel good, sound good and stay in tune. Oh and good price.

First post. Howdy folks.
I walked into my local B&M today, intending to replace my beloved 2001 Music Man Luke 2 (don't ever sell your guitars... Ever). I gravitated towards the new Gibson LPs. Nothing quite felt right in my hands. Tried some Godins, tried some Tele's... And then I spotted it. The new CE24. I had been gas'ing for a Maryland PRS since I was 14 (about 20 years ago). For many reasons, I had just never found the one for me. I walked over and picked it up, and it just felt RIGHT. I got the same feeling I got when I first picked up my Luke. The price seemed right, but it didn't matter anyways. This was my guitar. I am beyond happy with it. It feels great, looks great, and sounds great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the guitar chooses you!
Congrats!

Pics please.

Welcome BTW.

vXAwi6r.jpg

Sorry, here it is!

As a new PRS fan, I've been following a lot of the new CE posts here and on thegearpage. I've boiled it down to a few simple facts related to the guitar offered and the selling price.

For $500 more than most of the S2 models you get far nicer wood, a better looking maple top, vastly better color selections and the top of the line 85/15 pickups. I'd say that's a reasonable upgrade and a "bargain" PRS.

So that when your customer comes in and has a price limit of the price of that new CE, you can make the sale.

Otherwise, that customer walks.

By your logic, why not just try to sell the guy a Private Stock, since that's "all the way"?

Asking for an extra two or three hundred to outfit a model with the same parts used on its sister models isn't quite the same as asking for 5000$ more. It's PRS that decided to define lines between their guitars. SE, S2, Cores, then Private Stock. And I like that because knowing what line your buying into, you can expect to get certain parts or features that are implented across the board.

But now we're cross-breeding. We're using S2 tuners, and SE trems, but it's sold as a Core. Well which one is it? What other models can we expect to crossover into other lines? It just may add to some confusion is all. I'm not saying it's blasphamis, I just liked having things a little simpler and to know what to expect.

Asking for an extra two or three hundred to outfit a model with the same parts used on its sister models isn't quite the same as asking for 5000$ more. It's PRS that decided to define lines between their guitars. SE, S2, Cores, then Private Stock. And I like that because knowing what line your buying into, you can expect to get certain parts or features that are implented across the board.

But now we're cross-breeding. We're using S2 tuners, and SE trems, but it's sold as a Core. Well which one is it? What other models can we expect to crossover into other lines? It just may add to some confusion is all. I'm not saying it's blasphamis, I just liked having things a little simpler and to know what to expect.

P.S.- As a side note, if it were called an "S2 CE24" then I would have zero issue and it would make perfect sense.

Back