Tony McManus Lesson

Hopeful Sinner

Angry Southern Gentleman
So, earlier this week I had a private guitar lesson with Tony McManus and it was a great experience. I've been primarily an electric player from jump street but wanted to expand my horizons a bit.

I've always approached the acoustic guitar from an electric mindset style wise I thought it would be a great idea to have him work with me on fingerpicking and some different left hand techniques.

I'm happy to say things went just smashingly. Tony is just a great guy and a superb teacher. He was extremely patient and explained some of his methods in near forensic detail... We worked on "The Gnossienne" from his latest record which proved to be very approachable but substantial. He broke the music down into 3 parts and we worked through each one until I had a firm grasp of exactly how he plays them. He showed me several exercises to help build accuracy and proper touch/feel with my right hand as well as some interesting left hand stuff that will be fun to incorporate into my electric playing.

If you have ever considered doing something like this, I would highly recommend giving it a go. Tony's command of the instrument is second to none IMHO but he said something that resonated with me after telling a story about a lesson he recently took, "no matter how much you know, there's always more to learn"

I can't wait to do it again...

That's awesome Jon - how did you hook up the lesson with Tony? He's a superb player and a master at what he does.

Now this is a thread I can get behind. Awesome stuff man. Congrats on taking the leap. I have thought about lessons for ages and can't seem to commit to making it happen. I will reach out to a few people and nothing. Maybe Tony is my dude. Thanks for sharing.

That's awesome Jon - how did you hook up the lesson with Tony? He's a superb player and a master at what he does.

We connected via Facebook, chatted back & forth for a while and then set up a time to do a Skype lesson. It really was a fantastic experience that I will do again at some point.

Back