Thoughts on the new 594

While I’m sure a lot of people will appreciate the 2020 specs, I personally also love the previous model. The main reason is the phase III locking tuners, which I prefer to the vintage style. The second reason is that, while TCI tuning is nice, I almost always use full humbuckers on the 594. If I want a single coil sound I switch to a Danocaster or FCS strat.

There are times that I'll use the split for dynamics rather than chasing single coil tone.

Having said that the 5909 in my McCarty is fairly convincing in single coil mode.

I agree. And if you use them primarily in humbucking mode, the new ones won’t really even matter. I mean it sounds good on paper to be able to switch and get a single coil sound, and a good one at that, but I still prefer to use a strat or tele for that.
The TCI 58/15 LT+ plickups will only be put in singlecut 594s because they are tuned to interact with the vibrational physics of the SC neck-joint construction. I hope we will learn more about this in the near future because there must be something to it. I have teles and strats in the stable for exactly the reason you mentioned, but I was floored by how good the 594 split tones are. They’re just amazing, and very usable.

For me, it’s good that they can offer that sound in a guitar with the ergonomics of a PRS. The neck carve alone is worth the price of admission!
100% agree. Like most people, I love the tones that people get out of S, T, and LP type guitars, but I have trouble getting on with the feel of the "authentic" versions of these guitars, especially the LP. Being able to combine that sound with the feel and build quality of PRS is a no brainer.

100% agree. Like most people, I love the tones that people get out of S, T, and LP type guitars, but I have trouble getting on with the feel of the "authentic" versions of these guitars, especially the LP. Being able to combine that sound with the feel and build quality of PRS is a no brainer.

This ^^.

I was a Gibson player for a very long time before getting into PRS...like...25 years. And I had Gibsons back in the days when Gibsons were what are now considered valuable vintage guitars.

That set of tones is more or less home base for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always loved the clarity, warmth and string-to-string definition of the classic Custom and McCarty tones, but it’s really nice to have a PRS that gives me what my old guitars gave me back in the day, only with modern feel and ergonomics.

In 2005 or so I bought a Custom Shop 335, and I have to say it was a terrific sounding guitar, with that Gibson kind of tone. However (I think I’ve said this before), I felt like I’d gone from a high end BMW or Porsche to a 1953 Buick Roadmaster.

There was nothing wrong with the Roadmaster; it was one of the best cars of the 1950s, and a classy one at that. But you steered it like you’d steer a battleship; you had to plan a block ahead when you were going to make a turn, and then send signals to the car to make the turn happen. A lot of guesswork was involved, and eventually the car would turn.

It’s not that the neck and fretboard weren’t fine; they were pretty darn nice, but everything else about the guitar reminded me that I’d figuratively gone back in time.

100% my thoughts exactly. I'm just wondering when we can expect the PRS T-type guitar...as much as I love my Custom Shop Fender Tele, the Silver Sky easily OUSTED my CS Strats. I'd love to see what he could do with a T-type guitar. But I feel this is many years out, if at all, it's just a slightly less ubiquitous design than the monolithic S and LP.

I'll be honest, I got a 2018 594 a few months ago and I'm definitely considering getting a 2020 594. Ever since the Silver Sky replaced my Custom Shop Strats, I've been looking for the PRS model that can replace my LP type guitars. The ergonomics and playability of PRS is just off the charts, but every McCarty/Singlecut model until the 594 had a deviation or concession that still leaned toward the PRS sound. PRS definitely have their own identity and sound which I like, and for me the peak of that sound is the DGT; it takes the flagship Custom 24 as a base and makes all the changes I would make for my preferences. But the 594 really looked like they nailed the LP-type guitar while addressing some fundamental flaws in the design.

However, the feel of nitro on the neck is part of why I connect with my Silver Sky and 2008 DGT so much; it's just so familiar to those vintage-styled instruments I like, and I was definitely making a personal compromise when I bought my 594. The 2020 changes with vintage tuners, nitro finish, changes to the bridge design, and TCI tuned pickups all look like major wins to me, and the Tim Pierce video was an extremely effective piece of marketing. But I keep reminding myself not to put the cart before the horse and outright sell my 594/pre-order a 2020 model because until I get one in my hands, I won't really know which one I prefer.

There was nothing wrong with the Roadmaster; it was one of the best cars of the 1950s, and a classy one at that. But you steered it like you’d steer a battleship; you had to plan a block ahead when you were going to make a turn, and then send signals to the car to make the turn happen. A lot of guesswork was involved, and eventually the car would turn.

Off topic, but my father's 1968 Buick Electra "deuce and a quarter" was the same, so GM didn't make much headway in fifteen years and it was like trying to drive a Serta mattress through the corners.

On topic, I would love to have the 594 neck and lighter weight, as well as consistency in production. If vintage tuners make the package then I'll have to restring again ... so you bend under and up or over and down ... hmmm

Last edited:
Off topic, but my father's 1968 Buick Electra "deuce and a quarter" was the same, so GM didn't make much headway in fifteen years and it was like trying to drive a Serta mattress through the corners.

The 225 was a super cool car for that parent generation. Oddly, they loved that mushy handling because it had a “nice ride.”

I remember taking my dad somewhere in my first BMW, a ‘79 528i, after telling him all about it and what a great car it was, blah blah, after I ordered it. He loved Cadillacs. Coupe deVilles. His cars handled like ocean liners.

After about five minutes I said, proudly, “So, Dad, what do you think of my new car?” Like I’d somehow convert him.

He looked at me with a puzzled expression, and said, “This thing rides like a truck! Why would anyone in their right mind buy one of these?”

He thought I got totally ripped off, and to his dying day, when anyone mentioned BMWs, he’d say, dismissively, “They ride like a truck.”

The 225 was a super cool car for that parent generation. Oddly, they loved that mushy handling because it had a “nice ride.”

I remember taking my dad somewhere in my first BMW, a ‘79 528i, after telling him all about it and what a great car it was, blah blah, after I ordered it. He loved Cadillacs. Coupe deVilles. His cars handled like ocean liners.

After about five minutes I said, proudly, “So, Dad, what do you think of my new car?” Like I’d somehow convert him.

He looked at me with a puzzled expression, and said, “This thing rides like a truck! Why would anyone in their right mind buy one of these?”

He thought I got totally ripped off, and to his dying day, when anyone mentioned BMWs, he’d say, dismissively, “They ride like a truck.”

Your dad was alright.

I’ll totally take comfort over performance every day of the week. I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere, and it’s not like I can actually drive for sport or fun in Chicagoland traffic.

I drive an '01 Lexus IS300 for several years (a side trip from my usual diet of Mustangs and Mustang-oids) and really liked the way it handled, although its thrust-to-weight ratio was not impressive. There was a recall on that car that basically amounted to a free set of tires, so when I took it in to the dealer, they loaned me an ES for the day. I couldn't get rid of that car fast enough! I had no feeling of the road whatsover -- I had a friend who called that kind of "handling" "riding in a bucket of novocaine" and he was so right.

Did you let your Dad drive the BMW? That might've made a difference.

The TCI 58/15 LT+ plickups will only be put in singlecut 594s because they are tuned to interact with the vibrational physics of the SC neck-joint construction. I hope we will learn more about this in the near future because there must be something to it. I have teles and strats in the stable for exactly the reason you mentioned, but I was floored by how good the 594 split tones are. They’re just amazing, and very usable.

The explanation I heard today, retold in my own language, is like this TCI thing is like a new technology or a new approach to making pickups which will eventually, over time, find its way into every PRS pickup they make and in every line. PRSh responded to a question about this TCI stuff at an event I attended today. Hopefully one of the many cell phone videos I saw in the crowd will post that explanation on YouTube or something. Look for today's time stamp.

Your dad was alright.

I’ll totally take comfort over performance every day of the week. I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere, and it’s not like I can actually drive for sport or fun in Chicagoland traffic.

I get it. There’s nothing wrong with that. And yeah, my father was one of those awesome guys that people really liked; fun, good athlete, good in business, great father and husband. He died way too young.

I'll be honest, I got a 2018 594 a few months ago and I'm definitely considering getting a 2020 594. Ever since the Silver Sky replaced my Custom Shop Strats, I've been looking for the PRS model that can replace my LP type guitars. The ergonomics and playability of PRS is just off the charts, but every McCarty/Singlecut model until the 594 had a deviation or concession that still leaned toward the PRS sound. PRS definitely have their own identity and sound which I like, and for me the peak of that sound is the DGT; it takes the flagship Custom 24 as a base and makes all the changes I would make for my preferences. But the 594 really looked like they nailed the LP-type guitar while addressing some fundamental flaws in the design.

However, the feel of nitro on the neck is part of why I connect with my Silver Sky and 2008 DGT so much; it's just so familiar to those vintage-styled instruments I like, and I was definitely making a personal compromise when I bought my 594. The 2020 changes with vintage tuners, nitro finish, changes to the bridge design, and TCI tuned pickups all look like major wins to me, and the Tim Pierce video was an extremely effective piece of marketing. But I keep reminding myself not to put the cart before the horse and outright sell my 594/pre-order a 2020 model because until I get one in my hands, I won't really know which one I prefer.

I recently took delivery on a 2018 dbl cut 594. It sounds, intonates, and looks incredible. But there are 2 issues that are making seriously consider returning the guitar. That finish is stickier than that of any guitar I've owned (many). And two, am I crazy or is that guitar feel like it's all behind you and may slide away backwards when playing seated? I have an S2 Single, a C24, and a Starla. Non of those have these issues? Thoughts?

I recently took delivery on a 2018 dbl cut 594. It sounds, intonates, and looks incredible. But there are 2 issues that are making seriously consider returning the guitar. That finish is stickier than that of any guitar I've owned (many). And two, am I crazy or is that guitar feel like it's all behind you and may slide away backwards when playing seated? I have an S2 Single, a C24, and a Starla. Non of those have these issues? Thoughts?

I have the same experience regarding the weight distribution. I have had two 594's where the center of mass made the guitar slide backwards when playing seated. Ended up trading them. I recently found a 2018 model at app.3.5 kg that feels perfect when playing seated.

Back