Thoughts on how rig and location effects how you like components

If I were gigging like this all the time, I might consider the modeling aspect.
Id probably go easy like I said earlier, and do flyrig and a wah. Maybe a powered cab for monitoring.
But i'm not gigging much and I really don't want to part with my tube tone live.

Tone was great, just a bit strident on bridge, But I generally don't like non A2 bridge buckers with that amp, so that's could be it. It's less about the guitar, and more about 'choosing the right gear for teh application'.

If I were gigging like this all the time, I might consider the modeling aspect.
Id probably go easy like I said earlier, and do flyrig and a wah. Maybe a powered cab for monitoring.
But i'm not gigging much and I really don't want to part with my tube tone live.

Tone was great, just a bit strident on bridge, But I generally don't like non A2 bridge buckers with that amp, so that's could be it. It's less about the guitar, and more about 'choosing the right gear for teh application'.
So if just a little more volume made you feel that way about the tone, and assuming it wasn't a simple presence control turn, perhaps... no, I'm not even going to suggest a speaker change because I know what you use, and they're great. So, I'll stop talking and put the thinking cap back on...

Yeah just more a fun observation/discussion. This particular cab has a WGS/Reinhardt in it for now. It's good. Same issue when changing heads from the greer to marshall with that cab, issue stayed consistent so it wasn't the speaker cab.. Just interesting how stuff changes with volume and amp topography.

Pulled the CU22 out to compare (damn that needs a fretmill) and it is warmer with the duncan bridge, but it's a darker guitar in general.

It’s my M.O. :D

Several years ago I decided to build a gaming rig for the first time. I got all the parts to build it, and then waited 4 months to put it all together. It was so easy, I built two more. At any rate, the Kemper is out of the box, but not hooked up. Mostly because I haven’t picked up a guitar recently. Looking for some motivation.

What! Not even a “Ooh look at the pretty lights!” ??

I’m sofaking broke right now. :(

I feel you’re pain brother.

You’re too kind.

Preach!

At a little more volume, (mic'd not much more) and in the band context...I suddenly found that really the bridge pickup was too strident and the neck pickup was about perfect.

Tone knob?

I rarely run my bridge tone wide open unless I’m soloing. I usually run it rolled back so I sit down further in the mix.

I play a helix quite a few places I go and the difference from my studio monitor/in-ears to the monitor mix is astounding. Even venue to venue is drastically different when I know the output is identical every time.

Things get even more wacky when you take an amp that sometimes gets a mic and sometimes doesn't but when it doesn't you might be 4 feet or 14 feet from the speaker and that alone makes the same pedals and guitar sound night and day different.

Then on top of that you have the mic placement and type and if your monitor feed has any FX or signal alterations.

With so many variables, I have to stop being a perfectionist, say "good enough," and get on with the show.

home settings for gear (amps / signal processors): never translate well into a live full volume gig.

As you've said, once moved into a venue, the highs are much more pronounced and need backing down.
Any FX and gain is likewise more exaggerated; and usually unusable due to feedback and general lack of clarity.

Empty rooms (setting up sound check) also sound completely different to crowded rooms.

When prepping a new guitar for live work, I generally try to find optimal clarity before adding anything. Then I add reverb and gain to what sounds good in the room, and then back it down by 60%. Usually works spot on.

Pretty much everything in transducers (things that convert vibrations into electrical signals) and amplifiers is context-dependent. At least that’s what I’ve found. Even microphones, preamps, speakers, and other recording gear are that way, not only with respect to the artist, but with respect to the room.

My old studio was a beautiful room, but my new studio sounds much better. I use different mics than I did back then, to different effect. For example, I would never have used a room mic, or a ribbon mic at my old place, because too much room tone came through. Now I use them happily. Now I’m OK with darker mics; before, I had to have very bright mics, because that’s how the room was. It’s nice to understand that. Only took me 20 years of screwing around! :eek:

I hated my DG30 initially, thought I really sh!t the bed on the trade I made for it. It passed through a few friends before it made its way to me, and I even got a few “condolences” from some people that had had one and passed theirs along.

It took me a little while to understand how to use the amp, too, so I used it as a clean amp mostly. Once I understood that it’s key to begin with the Master over 12:00, ideally 2:00-3:00 or more, and control the volume with the control labeled ‘Volume’ (duh), things fell into place.

I can actually now get a good balance of tone with the master set lower; there are a few little tricks here and there.

It would be way better if the amp came with a manual that included settings, similar to Mesa. There was a sheet that could be downloaded from the PRS site explaining the DG amps, and why the 30 is a little different due to the location of the phase inverter in the circuit, but it really doesn’t tell you what needs to be done to get the most out of the tone. I think the assumption was we’d all know what to do.

But come to think of it, if you don’t know how to use a compressor, or set up a mic preamp, or do gain staging in the studio, you’re SOL, too. Most don’t include “here’s how to set your compressor for X instrument.” They just figure you know how, or you wouldn’t have bought the thing. You can get a ‘click-click’ sound with no dynamic range out of a kick or snare instead of what you expect with a compressor, unless you understand the gear, the room, the artist, and all the associated equipment.

Still, most players are used to doing things a certain way, and just don’t get it if there’s something different involved. I’m certainly no different.

I also didn’t quite understand that the “boost” control was for situations where you want the amp really, really loud! I just thought it sounded cool at first, and gave the amp a different tone.

Agree 100% guys. I've been gigging off and on since I was 18, so i'm pretty familiar with the changes, it's the first time I've noticed a drastic difference like that with the amp topography. Though my main guitars always feel a bit too bright on the bridge pickup in the house/practice and work great live .

I've played clubs where they were stupid enough to carpet the back wall of the stage which sucks the life out of an open back amp.... Nice hard surface behind the amp and it rocks.

Back when I was using a Vetta as my main amp the pickups had a major impact on whether a specific patch sounded good with which guitar. The patches I tweaked to sound good with my Tele would sound like crap with a humbucker guitar and the patches tweaked for humbuckers would sound like crap with my Tele. I've been playing my 594 through my Boogie TC-50 and I got it sounding killer (at living room levels anyway). When I plug in my McSoaporina I have been less than impressed. And I love the way that guitar sounds.

After the last couple of unfulfilling shows where I haven’t been able to hear myself, or turn up as much as I’d like, I’m experimenting with a 1x12 on a tilted amp stand instead of my forward facing 2x12.

I honestly don’t understand soundguys... the drums, bass amp, and horn players in my band still get to be loud on stage, and they never limit the volume on my keyboard amp but... for some reason my guitar is supposed to be whisper quiet.

What’s the point in having to run my guitar through the monitors in your sh!tty Irish pub so I can hear it? Why in god’s name are you mic-ing the loudest f@ckin’ instrument on stage (drums) if you’re concerned about volume?

It’s getting to be that the sh!ttier the clubs PA is, the better I’m liking the sound on stage. This band is not loud. It’s basically an “adult contemporary soft rock” band with mellow 70’s electric piano, way more VH1 than MTV. And when we rehearse and set our own volume’s so we can all hear each other, we’re fine, and in no danger of even the most crotchety neighbor calling the cops.

The world hates guitars.

Another Kemper story...

Saturday I'm getting on a ferry, and setting up to play a wedding for my lead guitar players daughter. I swore I'd never do another wedding, but... ya can't say no to the lovely lass.
My dilemma was what speaker do I take to go with the Kemper? Choices are:
1) Bose L1 MII with B2 bass module and T1 mixer
2) XiTone MBritt 1x12 powered FRFR
3) Yamaha DXR10 powered speaker

I auditioned all three at our studio. Last up was the Yamaha at practice on Monday.
The Yamaha won in the end.
The XiTone sounds wonderful, but it is more laser beamy. Stage volume where you want it? Well step out to the dance floor and wow! Even more out there!
The Bose is amazing. It covers the space very nicely, and with the T1 tonematch you can fine tune to your hearts content. But... 5 pieces in separate bags etc...
The Yamaha covers the room almost as well as the Bose. Like the stage volume? You'll like it out on the dance floor as well. And it's the lightest to boot.
Done and done.

Back