Thoughts on a 408?

88prs

OCD for PRS
Don't see many of these and seems like a really unique pickup set up. Anyone own one? Just wondering your thought on the tonal spectrum.

Siggy’s are way better ;);)

keKf0An.jpg

I had one for a bit. Rosewood neck, to boot. It was a cool axe, but I found It a little sterile. I know they’re similar, but I preferred the Paul’s Guitar over the 408.

i feel like I had the opposite with my friends PG. I felt like it didn’t fit into the mix as well. He liked it for some ecclectic music. I like the larger bridge pickup and I think the Siggy has some extra mojo.

Any excuse for some photos of my Siggy.

9CtyySX.jpg

dbrTpYr.jpg

I found the 408 pickups to be in a similar vein to a good PAF - it has that same vibe, but is distinctly different. When I still had my SG (Classic 57s), I found that they sounded very similar but smoother that than SG when set up to play AC/DC.

Overall I think they are great pickups - I keep the neck split and bridge on humbucking mode. Great sounds then in all three positions.

Howard Leese made the strongest argument for this model when he talked about how nicely it works with a 3-piece-band vs having a second guitar player to fill the tonal spectrum. I looked for the video but couldn't find it.

Last edited:
signature limited. The predecessor to the 408 core guitar

There was an initial run of 100 which were private stocks and then another run of 400 of which I have one. Would love to get a private stock version, but haven’t yet managed to swing it.

There was an initial run of 100 which were private stocks and then another run of 400 of which I have one. Would love to get a private stock version, but haven’t yet managed to swing it.

Agreed I’d love to have one of those. There are a few on Reverb right now. I’ve got others that I want before I go down that rabbit hole though

Definitely do it! I had a 408, sold it and bought a Siggy. I didn’t care for the 408 switching positions personally.

old 408
zAaJBAq.png

Looks like my Artist:
QSRnMhj.jpg

Yes. The small Signature run evolved to the 408, which I feel subsequently got displaced by Paul’s Guitar.

Gratuitous sort of siggy photo
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

Hubba, frickin' hubba!

Back