Thoughts on a 408?

Looks like my Artist:
QSRnMhj.jpg

Hubba, frickin' hubba!
Hot family!

I have a std. "core" 408 (it's currently in my avatar picture, at least at the time I'm writing this) and I really, really like & appreciate it for exactly what it is.

Yes, you're locked into these pickups only, but we all know that going into the guitar. The fact is, they do accomplish what was intended--narrower range on the neck PU for less woofy-ness and mud, and wider range in the bridge PU for just "more." Mostly I keep my pickups in full humbucker mode, and I use them separately and together; however I will tend to switch to single-coil mode for two specific uses that just happen to be native within the 5-way switching of the modern CU22/CU24 models as well: neck + bridge together both in single-coil mode, and I also like bridge full humbucker mode + neck single-coil.

On a final note, I have to say it seems the only significant difference between the aforementioned Signature model and the core-production 408 is that the "siggy" has a 3-way toggle (Les-Paul style) switch, whereas the 408 has the 3-way blade (Tele style) switch. And maybe trem- vs. no-trem options, too(?).

Standard 408 w/RW neck here (just like Rider's). No complaints on my end. It's not a vintage sounding guitar (someone above called it a bit sterile), but to me it's not lifeless - maybe a tad more focused. I think I remember someone calling them a "little more hi-fi" way back when. Whether that's a positive or negative to you, I can't say. It's definitely nice to have that option in the quiver, though. I tend to be probably 80-85% humbuckers on mine. I'm not a huge fan of the 3-way blade, but it is what it is. I feel like the toggle is a faster switching option.

I have a std. "core" 408 (it's currently in my avatar picture, at least at the time I'm writing this) and I really, really like & appreciate it for exactly what it is.

Yes, you're locked into these pickups only, but we all know that going into the guitar. The fact is, they do accomplish what was intended--narrower range on the neck PU for less woofy-ness and mud, and wider range in the bridge PU for just "more." Mostly I keep my pickups in full humbucker mode, and I use them separately and together; however I will tend to switch to single-coil mode for two specific uses that just happen to be native within the 5-way switching of the modern CU22/CU24 models as well: neck + bridge together both in single-coil mode, and I also like bridge full humbucker mode + neck single-coil.

On a final note, I have to say it seems the only significant difference between the aforementioned Signature model and the core-production 408 is that the "siggy" has a 3-way toggle (Les-Paul style) switch, whereas the 408 has the 3-way blade (Tele style) switch. And maybe trem- vs. no-trem options, too(?).

Comes down to switching layout and from what Ive read the Siggy has a “sinker mahogany” neck.

Thank you - that's my own creation. A 594 with Signature electronics and a chaltecoco neck, the colour is Apricot.

Nice job. I'm not normally turned on by bursts--I like them, but gravitate to others, but that all came together perfectly. Congrats.

I've been on the fence deciding between a 408 and a CU24 35th. I like the double switches for coil splits. Does anyone have any input on the differences between the two in how they sound and what they're good for?

Nice job. I'm not normally turned on by bursts--I like them, but gravitate to others, but that all came together perfectly. Congrats.

Cheers! It juts has a micro-burst around the edges, it's almost just a single colour. It's very subtle. I copied the style of my Collection V models where it works well too.

Back