Thinking about replacing bone nut in core DGTs

Markcarl

I’m thinking about replacing the bone nut in my core DGTs with the PRS synthetic self lubricating nut. PRS sells two different self lubricating nuts on their accessories website:

ACC-4204 -Pattern/Pattern Thin (Wide-Fat/Thin)

ACC-4206 - Pattern Regular (Regular)

Is the pattern regular the one I’d use for a DGT?

You will want to measure the nut on the DGT. I think it is the same as the Pattern Regular nut for width. I know it is narrower than the Pattern nut.

My DGT has the standard PRS nut on it. I am sure that is because it is a model that Wildwood had a small run of like 5 guitars made for them. They are also in a color you never see them in, Abalone.
I'm with you... I don't think there are a lot of Eriza Verde Wood Library DGT's out there either, particularly with a matching flamed maple headsotck... standard PRS nut as well.

I’m thinking about replacing the bone nut in my core DGTs with the PRS synthetic self lubricating nut. PRS sells two different self lubricating nuts on their accessories website:

ACC-4204 -Pattern/Pattern Thin (Wide-Fat/Thin)

Is the pattern regular the one I’d use for a DGT?

Why?

Yeah, I’ve heard some PRS core DGTs come with the synthetic nuts. I wish mine did too.

My SE DGT with synthetic nut stays in better than my core DGTs with the bone nuts. I’ve been using nut sauce on the bone nuts and it helps but the SE still stays in tune a little better when I use the tremolo. My core DGTs are still pretty new so maybe the bone nuts might improve as they get worn in. I am interested to try the synthetic nuts on the cores though.

Is there anything wrong with the original nut? Good reasons to change are

- the string spacing is off, i.e. the spacing is not even from string to string
- the strings run too close to the fingerboard edge so that the 1st and 6th strings are "falling off"
- the string spacing is too narrow so that chording becomes more difficult than it should be
- the guitar has a trem - here a teflon based nut (e.g. Graph Tech) is beneficial

If the answers are all "no" I would leave the nut as is.

I am just asking because it is very easy to replace parts just for the sake of it. Best example is my Single Cut. It has the Kluson style tuners which I usually hate but they work well in that guitar so they stay. It also has the non-adjustable wraparoung bridge but the intonation is good so it stays.

The guitar has a trem. I don’t think there’s anything visibly wrong with the bone nut. I asked the tech at the guitar store if he thought anything looked wrong or should be adjusted. If so we would try that first. He thought the bone nut looked well cut. I gave him the PRS synthetic nut to replace the original nut with annd asked if we could keep the bone nut in case I ever decided to switch back.

I’m still waiting to get the guitar back. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I have another core DGT with bone nut. I thought I’d leave it that way at least for a while so I could do an AB comparison in terms of tone and tuning stability between two identical model guitars with different nuts.

Your DGT will need a Pattern Regular Nut.
As far as changing from bone my take is bone is a natural material and varies in density from piece to piece , I would never put a bone nut on a Trem equipped guitar.
The PRS nut is supposed to have brass in it and it does sound like a piece of metal when you drop it.
My Fiore ( I got used ) had poorly cut slots and was very dull sounding and tuned poorly , I went scorched earth and installed phase 3 tuners and a Synthetic PRS nut the guitar now sustains for days and stays in tune.
When I work on folks guitars and they insist on a Bone nut I will usually get several blanks and find the one that seems the heaviest and hardest its also super easy to go to deep on a bone nut , one extra cut and the nut is trash. I started going Brass nuts on my Strats in the 70s and Tusk synthetic as soon as they became available.

Thanks @Rider1260 . I called the guitar tech and he said he was just finishing the setup on the new synthetic nut for the DGT. He said the original bone nut is still intact in case I ever wanted to switch back. I’m out of town right now but plan to pick up the guitar on Monday. I’ve got another DGT with the original bone nut. I’ll post my observations comparing the bone nut with synthetic nut after I’ve got some good playing time in with both guitars. If the synthetic nut works out as good as I hope I probably will put a synthetic nut on my other DGT.

For the DGT, I ordered the pattern regular nut from the PRS accessories site. In case anyone else is interested I’m pasting the SKU and website link below:

SKU: 101755:001:001:007

String Nuts (Set of 2) – PRS Guitars West Street East Accessory Store

I don't know if you are strictly trying to stay with PRS nuts, but the TUSQ :
BLACK TUSQ PT- 6642- 00 fits like a glove. I literally just installed it on my DGT 5 minutes ago.
The nut is not as tall as the stock DGT nut, but it fit like a charm and has the same string spacing at the first fret. My DGT is strung with 10-48's in standard tuning.

I don't know if you are strictly trying to stay with PRS nuts, but the TUSQ :
BLACK TUSQ PT- 6642- 00 fits like a glove. I literally just installed it on my DGT 5 minutes ago.
The nut is not as tall as the stock DGT nut, but it fit like a charm and has the same string spacing at the first fret. My DGT is strung with 10-48's in standard tuning.
Thanks for sharing this. I’m open to trying non-PRS nuts as well.

I bought my DGT almost a year ago. This fall, PRS sent me a shipping label because it was having tuning issues. Issues came from trem use or spirited vibrato. I performed a good inspection of the bone nut, but couldn't find anything wrong with it.

When the guitar got to PRS, they asked about changing the nut after their inspection. I said I'd rather not, but if it must be done, then fine. They changed it. They also ended up changing the bridge completely. It works fine now. I wonder if they could have left the nut on. I do think the white looks better than the black on my particular guitar.

I bought my DGT almost a year ago. This fall, PRS sent me a shipping label because it was having tuning issues. Issues came from trem use or spirited vibrato. I performed a good inspection of the bone nut, but couldn't find anything wrong with it.

When the guitar got to PRS, they asked about changing the nut after their inspection. I said I'd rather not, but if it must be done, then fine. They changed it. They also ended up changing the bridge completely. It works fine now. I wonder if they could have left the nut on. I do think the white looks better than the black on my particular guitar.

I’m curios, are the tuning issues largely solved now with the recent changes?

Back