Think I’m gonna get a Paul’s Guitar

Markcarl

I started going down the PRS rabbit hole around a year ago. It all started with that damn DGT SE. It blew me away. One thing led to another and I got a core DGT, and then another. Then I got a Studio. Do you see the problem? I‘ve noticed that most of my playing time with the DGTs is in split coil mode. I like how I can switch between humbucker and split coil mode with little change in volume. I love the sound and clarity of the narrowfield pickups on the Studio.

Now I’m intrigued by the 408 pickups on the Paul‘s guitar. I understand that unlike the DGT, the Paul’s guitar pickups are truly single coils when split and still don’t have much volume loss In single coil mode. From what I understand, with the Paul’s guitar pickups another 1500 turns of wire become active when in single coil mode which is why there isn’t noticeable volume loss.

Supposedly, the one piece stoptail bridge is good at retaining energy from the strings and helping with the resonance of the guitar?

I’m interested to hear from any of you who’ve tried the Paul’s guitar? How does it compare / contrast with your other guitars?

PRS multiply like Gremlins..The addiction is real!

Pauls guitar isn't really a guitar for me. I've played quite a few and it's obviously a good guitar, but there's so much want I have be reasonable some how? Now the ME-V is high on my list and there was a 408 I played the other day I'm still half thinking about. If I was looking for 408 or TCI pickups the ME-V would be my go to and possibly even the new Cu2408. But if Paul's does it for you as a guitar, can't fault you there.

Great choice on the DGT and Studio by the way. Both of those are excellent guitars!

"So convenient a thing to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for every thing one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin
In other words, do it! I would vote for the MEV for the extra diversity, but I am sure both are choices you will not regret!! Full disclosure: I have never played either, I don't know much about guitars and I suck ;~))

I played Paul's own Paul's Guitar (I guess his backup version) and the later SE edition (they have the TCI pickups). Talking about haptic the SE felt more comfortable concerning the neck, Paul's shape felt too wide and flat to me. Tonally they were alright, but not outstanding to become a must have. In SC mode they operate more or less in Tele territory (uncertain, whether Black or White Guard). The signature Duncan set on the Holcomb does it well, too.
Considering a guitar with SC options, a HSH layout is - to me - more desirable, because on the SC side Tele AND Strat voicings could be achieved.
Therefore I recommend, if a new guitar is about to be purchased, the 509. This guitar has - 'in extremis' - vintage voiced HBs. Or, if a 2nd hand buy is aswell acceptable, the 513. It offers additionally to SC, and P90 or MiniHB voiced levels a high output HB option.

I have a strong affinity for the Paul's SE. It's a great guitar. The core Paul's is great too, the ease of changing tuning without disturbing the trem since it's stoptail makes it a joy to play unless you absolutely need a trem. I really think the pickups can do it all especially with the coil tap toggle switches, just makes it easy. I also enjoy the 408 a lot and a 509 would be good too.

I have a strong affinity for the Paul's SE. It's a great guitar. The core Paul's is great too, the ease of changing tuning without disturbing the trem since it's stoptail makes it a joy to play unless you absolutely need a trem. I really think the pickups can do it all especially with the coil tap toggle switches, just makes it easy. I also enjoy the 408 a lot and a 509 would be good too.

I’m still new to PRS guitars. All of my PRS guitars have the Gen 3 tremolo which I like a lot. The PRS tremolos are so much better than the stock tremolo on my Stratocaster. I want a non-tremolo equipped PRS guitar for the tuning stability / ease of changing tunings and to try something different. The Paul’s Guitar and 594 (probably SC) have been on my radar. I’ve been leaning towards the Paul guitar because of the pick ups and I’m interested in the bridge design. Does it make the guitar more resonant / responsive?

I have a 76 Les Paul guitar. it was a gift from my father when I was 14 so it has a lot of sentimental value. Having said that I much prefer my PRS guitars over the Les Paul. After I got my SE DGT, I rarely played the Les Paul.

I recently got Fishman Fluence Classic pickups installed in the Les Paul. I like them almost as much as the DGT pickups. They have a lot of clarity and really good single coil tones. I like pickups with good clarity that can provide good humbucker and good single coil tones.

Now I’m playing the Les Paul more often but I still prefer my PRS guitars and they get more playing time.

Last edited:
All versions of the Paul’s rule. The core does a better single coil. That neck pickup can get strat like. Hell it sounded better than strats I’ve owned.

Oddly enough I only kept the SE. I think they are one of the best SEs on the market since its introduction. I prefer them over the 24-08 SE. It can easily go toe to toe with much more expensive guitars. To me it has the most value in the lineup, which I appreciate. And it cheap enough that I never baby it like I would a core

I vote do it.

All versions of the Paul’s rule. The core does a better single coil. That neck pickup can get strat like. Hell it sounded better than strats I’ve owned.

Oddly enough I only kept the SE. I think they are one of the best SEs on the market since its introduction. I prefer them over the 24-08 SE. It can easily go toe to toe with much more expensive guitars. To me it has the most value in the lineup, which I appreciate. And it cheap enough that I never baby it like I would a core

I vote do it.

I’ve noticed I’m drawn to a chimey single coil sound. I still prefer my PRS DGT and Studio guitars to my Stratocaster. I can get that chimey sound with the PRS guitars without all the noise / hum and I can get the warmer humbucker tones too. With the Studio, positions two and four can give me that quacky tone similar to what I get on a Stratocaster. I’m sure Stratocaster aficionados would disagree, but I like it and it’s close enough for me.

I really like my SE DGT also. When I play it back to back with my core DGT‘s it holds its own. That’s amazing when you consider the price difference.

I have a '20 core Paul's. The combination of Pattern neck carve, TCI splitable pickups, and the bridge really work well for me. It is very comfy on the resting right hand. I also have a Studio and a SC594. They all offer up a different experience. The Paul's single coil tones are arguably the best of the 3. The bridge in hum mode with overdrive really sings. No regrets, and it's here to stay.

I have a '20 core Paul's. The combination of Pattern neck carve, TCI splitable pickups, and the bridge really work well for me. It is very comfy on the resting right hand. I also have a Studio and a SC594. They all offer up a different experience. The Paul's single coil tones are arguably the best of the 3. The bridge in hum mode with overdrive really sings. No regrets, and it's here to stay.
Thanks for responding. It’s cool that you have 2 of the guitars that I‘m interested in getting and one that I already have! I really like the humbucker / split coil sounds from my DGTs and the sounds from the Studio narrowfields and humbucker / split coil 58/15LT pickup. It’s like having a different brush / palette of colors. I think the Paul’s guitar with its stoptail bridge and narrowfield pickups which can be split to real single coils will complement the guitars I already have. I would like to get a SC594 someday. Maybe in another year or so? I’m leaning towards the Paul’s guitar right now because it seems like more of an evolved design whereas the SC594 is more traditional. I already have a Les Paul. I‘ve played SC594s and I think they are a big step up from my Les Paul.

Back