Things got a little out of hand at the guitar show... (vintage PRS content)

Why do I do these things?!

If you're thinking about it, I'd consider it.
soB28Qb.jpeg

PlVVpeD.jpeg
Woah!!

I'll drop in.

These are serial number #202 and #267 off the line.

Both are amazingly clean.

#267 completely original with the sweet switch and T&B pickups. It's unique as the body serial is 5 0267 and the headstock is 6 0267 meaning it was most likely started in 1985 and completed in early 1986.

#202 is a pure 1985. Seems at some point the sweet switch was replaced with a tone knob which is actually a push pot as well to activate the SS. Not sure if that was a from factory option or something aftermarket.

I've had #267 for some time now but, found his cousin at a guitar show this weekend to make the pair.
If you have an early PRS with serial #267, it is a 1985, period. My guess is they just screwed up with the 6 0267 on the headstock. I have two 85's with higher serial numbers than that, so there's no way it was started in 85 and finished in 86, unless the guitar was lost somewhere in the factory for a half a year.. :)
Update: I just saw the headstock photos. #267 has PRS stamped tuners, which indicate it IS an 86. I'm thinking someone just screwed up with the serial number itself on that guitar. Curious.

Last edited:
If you have an early PRS with serial #267, it is a 1985, period. My guess is they just screwed up with the 6 0267 on the headstock. I have two 85's with higher serial numbers than that, so there's no way it was started in 85 and finished in 86, unless the guitar was lost somewhere in the factory for a half a year.. :)
Update: I just saw the headstock photos. #267 has PRS stamped tuners, which indicate it IS an 86. I'm thinking someone just screwed up with the serial number itself on that guitar. Curious.
I was thinking along similar lines my 85 is #0390 of I believe 400 produced in 85.

However both are absolutely drop dead ferking gorgeous whether 85 or 86.
Yowzers!

A Nice Pair!… And those early ones had John’s all brass 1 piece Mann Made bridges on them… You can hear the difference between these and the current PRS trems that look the same, but are 2 piece
It certainly does something very good for the tone.
My black 85 is still my go-to axe, it just really growls and rips.

Back