I have finally achieved peak One-ness

garrett

Have I finally reached the end of the mods to my SE One? It took nearly five years, but I think so.

The guitar already came to me as a beater with a couple mods of questionable quality. My original idea was to do some electronics mods on the cheap, but things got out of hand. Way out of hand.

Iz7GXRLh.jpg

Hacked out some wood to make more room for a second pot
Modded the pickup rout and fitted a Brent Mason Treble pickup, Jim (bodia) shall live forever as a legend for scoring the pickup and passing it to me
Core PRS volume, push/pull CTS tone for taps; 0.033uF cap
Lampshades (of course)
Schaller strap locks
Grover mini locking tuners, with buttons from an SE Custom 7-String

rXKsgXTh.jpg

PmKea7eh.jpg

The guitar then made it three whole years with no mods, but the urge was building as a few little things bugged me.

Until 2023...

PRS adjustable stoptail, thanks to Mark
Changed electonics to Mojotone CTS push/pull for volume and taps, Mojotone CTS tone, 0.01uF cap, Pure Tone jack
Ditched the treble bleed. Interestingly, it wasn't needed anymore. Even a cap that measured 192pF was way too much and sounded terrible.
Black football jack w/black screws. Stole this idea from Mark. Looks so slick.
Custom pickguard, five-ply black/cream, deletes the pickguard screw by the high E string that I'd sometimes hit with my knuckle.

wJ5xOlS.jpg

u1QqWtQ.jpg

The guitar then made it three whole years with no mods, but the urge was building as a few little things bugged me.

Until 2023...

PRS adjustable stoptail, thanks to Mark
Changed electonics to Mojotone CTS push/pull for volume and taps, Mojotone CTS tone, 0.01uF cap, Pure Tone jack
Ditched the treble bleed. Interestingly, it wasn't needed anymore. Even a cap that measured 192pF was way too much and sounded terrible.
Black football jack w/black screws. Stole this idea from Mark. Looks so slick.
Custom pickguard, five-ply black/cream, deletes the pickguard screw by the high E string that I'd sometimes hit with my knuckle.

wJ5xOlS.jpg

u1QqWtQ.jpg
Nice.
Huge improvement

That looks like a Paul's pickup, I didn't know that shape got used in anything other than Paul's / ME V!

Looks amazing.

The form factor was originally used for the neck pickup of the 408 model. Then Paul used it for both positions of his guitar. It then ended up in neck/bridge of the Brent Mason signature and then into a few other models over time.

The SE One is supposed to look like this:
ByMQlAYl.jpg

But that narrow humbucker design almost fits into a P90 rout. When Hans here on the forum pioneered this mod several years ago, he had PTC install the pickup and they plugged the original rout and recut with the appropriate template.

If you're a go-getter you can get it done with a drill, a 3/8" dowel, and some wood glue.

yD8DSWEl.jpg

The almost part of the fit is the mounting tabs of the pickup are slightly too long. So you can either rout a little bit of length in the body, or what I did is use a hack saw to trim the pickup

jVM3Rhll.jpg

I would rather see one of these posts than ten "I bought two more MEs and a Private Stock" posts. Fantastic.
Yep. I like the "I made it my own" posts.

Those SE Ones are cool guitars.

I wonder what one with a Gold Foil neck pickup and a great P90 bridge pickup would sound like?

Great for rootsy Americana kinda stuff I'd think.

Yep. I like the "I made it my own" posts.

Those SE Ones are cool guitars.

I wonder what one with a Gold Foil neck pickup and a great P90 bridge pickup would sound like?

Great for rootsy Americana kinda stuff I'd think.

Hans put a Tele neck pickup in one, and a slanted lipstick pickup in another. At least one of those also got a Bigsby. Talk about a cool Americana guitar!

Back