I feel like I cheated (or the appreciation of quality guitars)

Gtrbldr

Not a new member
Ok, I have no idea how cheating feels, but I have been wanting to try a guitar with a low B string. I have no use for it, other than to challenge myself and did not want to put big Euros in it. As a result I am not 100% PRS anymore (hence the cheating). Bought myself a secondhand (cheap) Jackson Pro Chris Broderick in snow white. Indonesian
made guitar. And it made appreciate all the quality stuff PRS puts out there.

On the plus side: woodwork is decent and the design is not the worst for a metal kind of guitar (actually have a weak spot for Jackson guitars), woodspecs are OK as well and neck through is always nice. Fretwork is actually a LOT better than my PRS HB2 SE, fret ends are PRS core level. and they did not skip on the PU side of things (USA DiMarzio CB-7s).

However, the guitar finish is way too thick, details like binding are meh and the hardware is the biggest issue. Lock nut and screws are cheap and the Floyd Rose special a special piece of crap. Takes a pretty decent guitar and makes it feel feeble, fear of stripping the screws and threads. I would never gig a guitar like that.

Makes me appreciate the solid, attention to detail PRS quality of things. A pro level instrument is a thing of beauty!!!

I'm preaching to the choir here, but this is a perfect example of the reason we pay so much for a guitar we could get much cheaper in another brand. We are paying for the quality.

You can get a cheap violin for $200. A midrange violin is $2,000 - $5,000. A professional violin is $50,000 and just the bow is $90,000. So it's not just guitars. A top end professional Grand Piano is $130,000 - $300,000. Glad I picked guitar!

I'm preaching to the choir here, but this is a perfect example of the reason we pay so much for a guitar we could get much cheaper in another brand. We are paying for the quality.

You can get a cheap violin for $200. A midrange violin is $2,000 - $5,000. A professional violin is $50,000 and just the bow is $90,000. So it's not just guitars. A top end professional Grand Piano is $130,000 - $300,000. Glad I picked guitar!

I know a guy who owns a $55,000.00 cello because he couldn't afford a good one.

Ok, I have no idea how cheating feels, but I have been wanting to try a guitar with a low B string. I have no use for it, other than to challenge myself and did not want to put big Euros in it. As a result I am not 100% PRS anymore (hence the cheating). Bought myself a secondhand (cheap) Jackson Pro Chris Broderick in snow white. Indonesian
made guitar. And it made appreciate all the quality stuff PRS puts out there.

On the plus side: woodwork is decent and the design is not the worst for a metal kind of guitar (actually have a weak spot for Jackson guitars), woodspecs are OK as well and neck through is always nice. Fretwork is actually a LOT better than my PRS HB2 SE, fret ends are PRS core level. and they did not skip on the PU side of things (USA DiMarzio CB-7s).

However, the guitar finish is way too thick, details like binding are meh and the hardware is the biggest issue. Lock nut and screws are cheap and the Floyd Rose special a special piece of crap. Takes a pretty decent guitar and makes it feel feeble, fear of stripping the screws and threads. I would never gig a guitar like that.

Makes me appreciate the solid, attention to detail PRS quality of things. A pro level instrument is a thing of beauty!!!
PRS Holcomb 7 string is quietly glaring at you from across the room...;)

Back