The word "second" is in my pickup cavity. What's it mean?

teacherman

I recently peeked inside a new to me PRS Custom 24. 1992 version. Next to the words "Whale Blue" and "10" was the word "second". Anybody else have this? Or know what it means?

Last edited:
Is there anything on the back of the headstock?

A "second" can mean a guitar that has some sort of minor cosmetic defect that kept it from being sold as regular run guitar. May have a "2" or something similar stamped on the back of the headstock.

Or, it may not be that at all.

Usually they saw them in half if it's a non fixable defect, so I doubt it's that.

I guess that the little I DO know about PRS guitars is that they did NOT offer B stock or second stock. PRS destroyed any guitars that were flawed...A "B" on the back of the headstock indicated an artist loaner if I'm not mistaken.

I did contact Matt King who wrote, "I’m not quite sure what the second refers, some reference for production however we do not offer ‘seconds’."

Just curious. I've never seen nor heard of such a thing...

I recently peeked inside a new to me PRS Custom 24. 1992 version. Next to the words "Whale Blue" and "10" was the word "second". Anybody else have this? Or know what it means?

Perhaps this is to guide a 'sequentially-challenged' pickup fitter....... perhaps, the other pickup cavity has the word 'First' printed inside? Or one of the luthiers nick-named 'Blue Whale was making a date with the pickup fitter, 10th of February..... or the second of October... depending upon which date order you use!

Just joking, if you find out, please post the reason :) I wonder just how many of us have cryptic messages hidden in our bodies.... guitar bodies I mean.... !

You just opened PRS' X-files. What the heck! Where are Scully and Mulder?

Well what do you know? They are returning this Fall! Perhaps this will be the first case?

http://www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/xfiles-returning-to-fox-for-six-episodes/31985230

Mulder has taken up guitar as a hobby after the traumatic experiences of the past. While tinkering with his guitar, he discovers a secret code within...are they geo-coordinates to a secret alien landing site? The code to unleash a supercomputer virus? While Scully scours the web for "Whale Blue 10 second", Mulder is last seen entering the second door on the tenth floor of a large blue building...

Back