The Southern Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by garrett, Mar 5, 2018.

1. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Damn, that's good! A bit like Wet Willie. Must've been something in the water down there in 'Bama.

ScottR and Huggy B like this.
  2. Glide-bpm

Glide-bpm We were small but we were slow...

Cool! Love Clutch!

Saw Shaman's Harvest two summers ago opening for Daughtry and Nickelback.
    We were in Maine visiting my brother-in-law. Got tickets ahead of time and rocked out
    at the water front in Bangor!

alantig, Michael_DK and ScottR like this.
  3. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

I guess I missed the Dave Mattews reference? I have no idea where he's from...I used to dig his music back in the day...definitely not southern rock. Again, I must have missed the reference somewhere?

4. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

Virginia is in "The South".

5. ScottR

I don't think that geography is necessarily a prerqusite to qualifiy as "southern rock" really, to me anyway... southern rock is just as much or more about the tones, the attitude, lyrical content, and so on. We had a discussion about Mountain, RamJam and CCR...all being from above the "Mason Dixon Line" back around post #70 something on this thread. But the cool part about music in general is how subjective it really is.

This is exactly why I love this forum. With music being so subjective...I really enjoy hearing different takes on the things we all enjoy. I for one, enjoy the hell out of that!

bodia, Alnus Rubra and Glide-bpm like this.
  6. WeFixFlats

WeFixFlats Respect The Clave

I would recommend listening to 'Beginnings', the first two Allman Brothers albums(1969/1970), every track, from start to finish...

7. Birdsofprey

Birdsofprey Fly birdies fly!

I thought everybody has silly me, one of the early bands to use twin/harmony leads.

ScottR and Glide-bpm like this.
  8. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

Discovered ABB around 90-91 thanks to VH1 Classic.
    Right as shades of two worlds came out. OMG timing was perfect. Dickey has been a huge influence on me. Love Duane, Warren, Jack and Derek too, but Dickey's stuff resonated with me. Lov e that band.

Also a huge Blackberry Smoke fan. Such a fantastic band.

but I spent hours and hours in the bedroom in high school with a les paul and a marshall jamming to Allman CDs.
    Yes I have tinnitus now.

garrett, Sekunda and ScottR like this.
  9. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

I got into ABB around the same time, as the southern rock revival was live and well. Took a bit longer to get into playing their stuff, but I used to sit in front of one speaker or the other to steal licks from Duane and Dickey.

ScottR and Big Mike like this.
  10. Collywobbles

Collywobbles New Member

Does this count? The only Little Feat song I know (sorry!) but always loved this clip nd the guitar playing.

11. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I discovered Little Feat in the early 90’s. Lowell George’s vocals so do it for me.

Collywobbles, ScottR and Big Mike like this.
  12. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

Just saw Lynyrd Skynyrd on Saturday in Atlantic city. Show kicked @$$ !!!!!

By the way-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is the only band who can legitimately pull this song out on stage..... ;-)

13. ScottR

I saw them in Birmingham a couple of months ago....with Hank Williams Jr. They were originally scheduled to do the show back in August but severe weather forced them to rescedule. A friend that couldn't make the resceduled event and sent me his tickets. SCORE!

This particular venue is an outdoor amphitheatre and it poured rain all night ...it turned out to be an amazing show! I am so glad I got to see it.

Much to my surprise, the crowd was relatively calm? Very unusual for the "WOOOHOO FREEBIRD" crowd. Something happens to some of these folks when ANY song by either of these acts is within earshot. I remember thinking...oh, so all we needed all these years to calm them to calm the drunken, fist fight prone, genetic deficient, Billy Bobs during a show...hmmm, who knew? Then I looked around and noticed that the vast majority of people looked like really, really old versions of the teenagers from the 70s live footage...and lets just say the the years had been sooo unkind!

Old wet redecks aside...it was a great show and provided they don't go all "KISS Farewell Tour Rudux X 10...if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend seeing them for the first/last time. Worth way more than the price of admission IMHO!

danktat, drjenkins and Alnus Rubra like this.
  14. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Speaking of Skynyrd, have you guys seen the latest rig rundown?

My favorite part is at one point they're talking about the simplicity of their rigs and the 70's and Gary says "Our gimmick was music."

I think ol' Gary is about worn out, and he's the only one left with a true claim to the name, so I don't foresee any more tours. Maybe one-off shows at most.

I passed on seeing them this time. I've seen them a few times already.

ScottR and bodia like this.
  15. drjenkins

drjenkins I Don't know what to put here...

Ahhh, Oak Mountain I presume? Haven't been to a single show there yet where I didn't get rained on. LOL.

ScottR likes this.
  16. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

interesting...
    Last I saw them was the 90's. Right before Huey Thomason joined.
    Just was disappointed. Glad it's different, but I'm good. Saw them 4-5 times in the 90's, usually with Ted Nugent.
    Best was with Ed King and Randall hall on 2nd and 3rd guitars.

ScottR likes this.
  17. LaPanthere

LaPanthere We don't just have Heidi/Rolex in Switzerland :D

Lovely thread, I love southern rock and discovered some bands in here I didn't know yet!

I wonder why there is no reference to either Molly Hatchet nor Point Blank, both bands labelled ''Southern Rock'' - is it because Molly are from Jacksonville/Florida and Point Blank from Texas?

ScottR likes this.
  18. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

They were my first rock concert, the Freebird Festival in 1993. That would've been Gary, Ed, and Randall. I don't remember who else was on the bill.

Saw them again in maybe 1995 on the Southern Spirits Tour. That was a cool one. Barefoot Servants, .38 Special, and Marshall Tucker Band were on that bill, too.

Last time was '03 or '04 I think? They did a co-headlining tour with the Allman Brothers Band. They had Gary, Huey, and Ricky on that one, which was great.

After that, I figured I'd had the full experience, and the set list was always just "One More From the Road" with a few other tunes thrown in.

Hatchet are definitely in the category!

I hadn't heard of Point Blank before.

ScottR likes this.
  19. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

20. matt3310

matt3310 New Member