The Southern Rock Thread

Looks like Dickey is recovering from surgery to relieve pressure on his brain... good news! One of my childhood heros. He is why I bought my Custom 22 in dark cherry burst in 2000. Saw pictures of him playing one in my guitar magazines...

I've lived in a lot of places, but in "The 80's", I lived in Florida. If you liked in Florida and liked hard rock and were old enough to get into the clubs, there was one band down there that was HUGE, and they went by the name of STRANGER. (Today I think the only surviving member is Greg Billings of the band bearing the same name.) They were one of those bands where the crowd knew every song and sang along. Even more remarkable than that, if you were in a cover band in Florida during the 80's, your band was playing STRANGER cover tunes. STRANGER had the following and perks of a national or international act, except they were just in Florida. Everybody LOVED them! Here is a video of their biggest "hit"... Swamp Woman.

I've lived in a lot of places, but in "The 80's", I lived in Florida. If you liked in Florida and liked hard rock and were old enough to get into the clubs, there was one band down there that was HUGE, and they went by the name of STRANGER. (Today I think the only surviving member is Greg Billings of the band bearing the same name.) They were one of those bands where the crowd knew every song and sang along. Even more remarkable than that, if you were in a cover band in Florida during the 80's, your band was playing STRANGER cover tunes. STRANGER had the following and perks of a national or international act, except they were just in Florida. Everybody LOVED them! Here is a video of their biggest "hit"... Swamp Woman.

Quite Van Halen/Sammy Hagar

I grew up in the hot bed of 80s rock, Iowa! Our local residents that should have been bigger was Lynn Allen. Love these guys circa '85. Nothing Southern about them, though.

Nice! I woulda been all over these guys. Reminds me of Dangerous Toys or Tora Tora. Good stuff!

Man...this video made me flashback to the good old days stretchy mini skirts, bare middrifts and big hair really took me back...boy those were the days...oh and yeah, the music wqs pretty cool too.;)

I'm digging this "re-birth"of sorts of Southern Rock... These guys are pretty bad a$$!

I find it no small coincidence that both guitarists appear to be playing Dean Dimebag model guitars... aCk!!!

Also no coincidence that the initials of the band as well as that for which Dime's nickname came about are two dots which can be connected.

Does the rock get harder the farther West you go?

It does if it's got a husky ginger singer that does what looks like his best to channel his inner Phil Anselmo and a couple of Dimebag fanboys that should have at least flipped a coin to see who got to play their DBD Sig guitar for their video shoot that day. But yeah...it's totally possible that they do rock harder...they most definitely metal groove pretty hard, and they were obviously touched by the cowboys from hell at some point.

they were so popular on the POP charts at the time, and their songs are SO melodic, I think alot of people don't even think of them as Southern Rock. Probably just rock. Ditto the Black Crowes... heck, the Crowes were just trying to be The Faces & The Stones! Nothing "Southern" about that! But... that's what Blackberry Smoke considers themselves (rock and roll), as well as the Satellites back in the day. Those 4 bands weren't ones that "flew Dixie" as much in their songs like Skynyrd and others did.
That’s just not a true statement on the Crowes, Bill. That’s probably true for the first album as far as the stones/faces reference. Some of their stuff is straight rock, but there’s plenty of southern influences there too.

Doesn't Dave Matthews live in Virginia? Southern Rock? Uh... no, I don't think so.

What style of music is that anyway? It certainly isn't Chesapeake Gumbo.

Back