The Southern Rock Thread

Can’t you see, now you’re flirting with disaster. You know and I know, I ain’t the one to get caught up in you and what’s your name rambling, man. I’m just a simple kinda man.

Mama's Pride is from St. Louis but they fit right in with the scene at the time. They toured with ABB for a while too. I love Allman Brothers, Blackfoot, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Missouri... just don't make them like they used too.

Ahh, yeah The Pride of St. Louis. They were such an tight band that could play it all from funk, to blues, to straight on rock, and for me, they are at the top of the list for "bands that should've been bigger" and "what if." Signed by Ahmet Ertugen and managed by Alan Walden(brother of Phil who managed the Allmans, Skynyrd and owned Capricorn records), they toured with all of the big names in Southern Rock back in the 70's yet their 2 studio albums never really hit big outside of St. Louis. Earlier in 1977, Ronnie Van Zant himself had expressed an interest in producing their 3rd album...we all know what happened in October of '77 and Mama's Pride wound up not releasing a 3rd album until 1992. What if indeed.

Blue Mist is my favorite Pride song, but here's a few others that showcase their range:

Ahh, yeah The Pride of St. Louis. They were such an tight band that could play it all from funk, to blues, to straight on rock, and for me, they are at the top of the list for "bands that should've been bigger" and "what if." Signed by Ahmet Ertugen and managed by Alan Walden(brother of Phil who managed the Allmans, Skynyrd and owned Capricorn records), they toured with all of the big names in Southern Rock back in the 70's yet their 2 studio albums never really hit big outside of St. Louis. Earlier in 1977, Ronnie Van Zant himself had expressed an interest in producing their 3rd album...we all know what happened in October of '77 and Mama's Pride wound up not releasing a 3rd album until 1992. What if indeed.

Blue Mist is my favorite Pride song, but here's a few others that showcase their range:

Yes sir... Danny and Pat are still jamming and local heroes here in the music scene. It really is a shame they didn’t get huge.

Yes sir... Danny and Pat are still jamming and local heroes here in the music scene. It really is a shame they didn’t get huge.
I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb and guess you're from around STL, as not many people outside the area know of them unfortunately. I grew up just south of the Lou and KSHE was my introduction to Mama's Pride. I've been gone from MO for a lot of years now, do they still play the Pageant every year for one show? When I was on Facebook, Pat and Danny were both pretty involved with the Mama's Pride page answering questions and such.
BTW, here's the cover from Danny's 2008 solo album complete with PRS!
lj6yvmv.jpg

I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb and guess you're from around STL, as not many people outside the area know of them unfortunately. I grew up just south of the Lou and KSHE was my introduction to Mama's Pride. I've been gone from MO for a lot of years now, do they still play the Pageant every year for one show? When I was on Facebook, Pat and Danny were both pretty involved with the Mama's Pride page answering questions and such.
BTW, here's the cover from Danny's 2008 solo album complete with PRS!
lj6yvmv.jpg

St. Louis county boy here... Pat still does solo acoustic shows all the time. Danny does music at a church regularly and has several projects that play Pageant shows occasionally. The best lately has been "The Brothers" an Allman Brothers tribute that also does some Pride songs as well. Top notch band. Danny still plays that gorgeous gold PRS too! Very cool dude, saw him at a benefit show recently doing an acoustic set. KSHE is still kicking but they've lost a lot of the listeners due to new ownership and a lame programmed playlist. I don't listen to the radio anymore... too many commercials. I like my music... music :)

St. Louis county boy here... Pat still does solo acoustic shows all the time. Danny does music at a church regularly and has several projects that play Pageant shows occasionally. The best lately has been "The Brothers" an Allman Brothers tribute that also does some Pride songs as well. Top notch band. Danny still plays that gorgeous gold PRS too! Very cool dude, saw him at a benefit show recently doing an acoustic set. KSHE is still kicking but they've lost a lot of the listeners due to new ownership and a lame programmed playlist. I don't listen to the radio anymore... too many commercials. I like my music... music :)

We try and get back once a year or so and I usually give KSHE a listen as we're passing through, though I didn't realize that Emmis had sold them, what a shame. KSHE was always a little outside of the mainstream and that's what made them great IMO. I can remember coming out of concerts and KSHE would be playing that band's songs for the hour spent trying to get out of the Checkerdome parking lot and then the long ride home. Remember when they'd play both sides of a newly released album? And I loved that they'd play the album cuts, not the radio edited BS that other stations played. I used to love the Klassics Show(with Ruth!), 7TH Day, Feats at Five, Floyd at Four, Daily Dose of Zeppelin...man, they introduced me to some great music through the years.

BTW, any chance you could send me some toasted ravs from Charlie Gitto's?:D

FYI - Dickie Betts suffered a fall at home and is apparently in bad shape...

Musician Dickey Betts in ‘critical but stable’ condition after fall at Sarasota home
By Ryan Ballogg

[email protected]

By Allegiant Air

Allman Brothers Band co-founder Dickey Betts is in “critical but stable” condition following a Monday night fall at his Sarasota home, according to Betts’ manager David Spero.

“He had a fall at his house on Monday night and he’s at the hospital,” Spero said. “They have him sedated. He’s listed as critical but stable.”

Spero said Betts was playing with his dog in the backyard when he slipped and hit his head.

“It really was just a freak accident,” Spero said.

FYI - Dickie Betts suffered a fall at home and is apparently in bad shape...

I've been following this too...so hard to see some of my all time favorites slowly fading away...but man what a legacy they all leave behind for us to enjoy and share til we all fade away too...sucks...:(

Back