The Southern Rock Thread

They were my first rock concert, the Freebird Festival in 1993. That would've been Gary, Ed, and Randall. I don't remember who else was on the bill.

Saw them again in maybe 1995 on the Southern Spirits Tour. That was a cool one. Barefoot Servants, .38 Special, and Marshall Tucker Band were on that bill, too.

Last time was '03 or '04 I think? They did a co-headlining tour with the Allman Brothers Band. They had Gary, Huey, and Ricky on that one, which was great.

I honestly thought they should've hung it up when Billy died.
Left really only one true original member. Should've stayed 3 really.
Ricky's kinda grey area since he played drums pre-artimus.

I honestly thought they should've hung it up when Billy died.
Left really only one true original member. Should've stayed 3 really.
Ricky's kinda grey area since he played drums pre-artimus.

Agreed. It was hard enough accepting the band without Leon, but losing Billy was just too much.

I was born and mostly raised in Jacksonville, Florida, home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek Trucks, and the place where the Allman Brothers Band formed before heading up to Macon.

I now live in the Atlanta area, which provided us with some great bands like Atlanta Rhythm Section, Georgia Satellites, Black Crowes, and Blackberry Smoke.

This genre has been ingrained in consciousness as long as I can remember and is a huge influence on me. How about you? Let's talk some southern rock, friends! First one to yell "Freebird!" gets banned! :p
Honky Tonk Nighttime Man off Street Survivors Steve Gaines was so Bad A$$.

The Allman Betts Band: Devon Allman, Duane Betts, Berry Oakley Jr. Plus Johnny Stachela is a beast on guitar.

No audio at first, but then someone remembers to turn the fader up...

Thanks for posting! These guys are playing the little 800 seat theater about 15 miles from my pad at the end of August. I may need to go!

I know, more blues that southern rock, but, it's Boscoe France! He was with Paul at the Chicago Music Exchange event last month. Monster player, and funny as hell! Support him, if you can!

I know, more blues that southern rock, but, it's Boscoe France! He was with Paul at the Chicago Music Exchange event last month. Monster player, and funny as hell! Support him, if you can!

I couldn't agree more! He's a beast! Seems like a great guy too.

I think they put mojo straight into the water in Kentucky.

Back