The Real Holy Grail PRS

Been very fortunate to own some cool guitars over the past few years and I tend to be very specific in my what I look for, so I don’t really consider any of my guitars “grails” that others would seriously covet. But if any could be seen that way, it would have to be the Sandstorm SC58. One of the best book matched flame tops for my tastes, pernambuco neck, brazilian board, white gold outlines on the birds make for one interesting instrument. The newer buckeye made a serious run at dethroning this from the top spot, but it’s not happening.

30381864483_7bc5ca579e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Been very fortunate to own some cool guitars over the past few years and I tend to be very specific in my what I look for, so I don’t really consider any of my guitars “grails” that others would seriously covet. But if any could be seen that way, it would have to be the Sandstorm SC58. One of the best book matched flame tops for my tastes, pernambuco neck, brazilian board, white gold outlines on the birds make for one interesting instrument. The newer buckeye made a serious run at dethroning this from the top spot, but it’s not happening.

Can't get enough of this, the top with that stain is so perfect, damn the whole package is so gorgeous :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Although preferences always change, I still think the holy grail PRS is the Custom 24. It would never be coveted like a 59 Les Paul since there are so many of them available, but it is a dependable guitar that almost any guitarist can grab and do their job regardless the genre they play.

And an R8 true historic is no slouch either.

I’d have to agree. Both would be more fun (to me) than an ‘85 CU or STD. But I don’t collect so I know nothing about the market for an ‘85 PRS.

EDIT: Thinking further about this, I think the reason the ‘85 wouldn’t be of much interest to me is that I know the later ones do different things that I like more. Plus I have the PS 30th Anniversary CU24 that’s a pretty amazing guitar in its own right.

Knowing that, the R8 would be fun because R8s are their own, interesting thing, and I’ve got enough PRSes on hand to mess with them to my heart’s content.

The assumption that older automatically = better isn’t an assumption I share. Older can be unique, it can be different, it can be a lot of things. But it isn’t better by virtue of some magic ancient elixir.

Last edited:
PRSh certainly believes in this concept. I don't remember "where", but I saw a video of him talking about walking through a room of PRS guitars that dealers could buy. He randomly picked up one of the guitars, not getting any loving by the dealers, and played it for a few seconds. He then had a WTF! moment. He showed it around to the dealers and said, "why isn't anyone interested in this one, it's got the best tone of any here". Basically implying it was a unicorn. I think he either joked he should buy it or ended up buying it. (Yes, Paul claims he does buy the guitars he owns.)

I can honestly say I have yet to find my "holy grail". I don't have a lot of time to visit the boutique guitar shops in Chicago and mess around with them. I love my CU 24 snd it's by far the best instrument I have ever played, but I'm still searching for that guitar that just speaks to me. Searchi for it and saving for it.

The sandstorm perni is soooo outrageous. Would love to play it. Looks pretty Holy!

Would love to get my mitts on a Pernie neck SC! But you do have that extra DC blue one laying around...:)

These guitars all look so nice so I'll give it a go with one that's a little more worn in. I no longer own this but it was one of the most alive guitars I've ever had. A little hard to control but worth it. Sold it to go down the Private Stock route. 1986 CU24.

I picked this because it's the guitar that put PRS on the map.

qbTDBFal.jpg

Back