The Organization Man Strikes Again! Pedalboard Storage Content.

László

Too Many Notes
In my studio, one issue has been that everything I'm not recording gets in the way of whatever I am recording that I'm not using for that session. This is especially the case with amps, pedalboards, cables, etc., when I'm recording acoustic instruments, vocals, etc. It always seems that there's no place to get things off the floor and out of the way.

I know that a lot of folks simply line their amps and cabs up along the walls, but I don't like recording a cab that way, as it creates quarter-space bass reinforcement and other problems unless one has lots of acoustical treatment. Anyway, there's that danged pedalboard...no place to put it, cables to trip over...

Then I eyeballed an old keyboard stand I built years ago. I wondered if I could adjust it to hold my pedalboard and get it not only off the floor when not in use, but out of sight, and covered so it wouldn't simply be a dust collector. And I got to work (excuse the blurry iPhone pics):

And here's a shot of the recording area with everything cleaned up and out of the way for an acoustic session:

I really do have to pat myself on the back, I haven't been this organized in a very long time! ;)

Incidentally, the room has very nice natural acoustics; the ceiling tiles are all designed for acoustic absorption, but I've been moving ASC tube traps around as needed (they're in the storage room for this pic). Today I'm ordering some additional Realtraps for this area because I'm tired of moving tube traps around, and I tend to trip over them, too (heck yes, I'm clumsy!).

Last edited:
I should take a pic of our practice room. I try to keep things well organized but it's a real mess. At any given time there are at least 22 different cables in a room 11x12 running various audio this way and that. Your's looks so pristine in comparison.

I think you should get your brother to come by and do a mural of you playing a huge pipe-organ in a Phantom of the Opera type get up on one of those walls.

I used to be organized...

Organizers Anonymous..

They meet on the penultimate Thursday at 8:05.227 PM.

Last edited:
I should take a pic of our practice room. I try to keep things well organized but it's a real mess. At any given time there are at least 22 different cables in a room 11x12 running various audio this way and that. Your's looks so pristine in comparison.

That part of the room is about 20 x 15, so it's probably a little easier to keep organized.

Also, one thing that helps in my case is that over the years I've acquired a bunch of multichannel audio snakes terminated with various connectors, so I can mic an entire band with one or two snakes, running short cables from the mics to a breakout box. Then there's a one or maybe two multipair cables going to my recording rig, depending on how many mics I need on, say, the drum kit.

All the cables from the breakout boxes to the mics are dressed along the walls, so there's not much to trip over.

The remaining problem is going from pedalboards to amps, because the connecting cables do tend to get in the way, and since the cables are unbalanced, I try to keep the runs short. However, I plan to solve that soon with a Radial SGI setup, that will allow me to create much longer cable runs (100 meters is the maximum, so my room is more than covered) from the pedalboard to the amp without signal loss. Provided it doesn't suck tone, of course.

I think you should get your brother to come by and do a mural of you playing a huge pipe-organ in a Phantom of the Opera type get up on one of those walls.

That'd be sweet, but I ordered some Realtraps today for the room, and they'd cover up the mural!

i just want to know what is in the guitar case on the desktop???? Is it a case for the christmas ornament?

i just want to know what is in the guitar case on the desktop???? Is it a case for the christmas ornament?

It's an acoustic guitar for very small people! It's got strings, they just don't show up very well in my blurry iPhone pic.

I've got one of those I used to keep it on the counter at the front desk, but people kept strumming it and breaking the strings. I have it elsewhere now and restrung with orthodontic wire..

Awesome Les!!

My man cave/guitar room is cleaner than some but space is limited and I'm not good at space management and how to put things in certain places to give me more room. I have every wall full of guitars (can't fit any more) and a 7 guitar rack almost full. No room for any more racks so I'm either going to have to stop buying guitars and gear (HA!) or find better ways to manage space.

Awesome Les!!

My man cave/guitar room is cleaner than some but space is limited and I'm not good at space management and how to put things in certain places to give me more room. I have every wall full of guitars (can't fit any more) and a 7 guitar rack almost full. No room for any more racks so I'm either going to have to stop buying guitars and gear (HA!) or find better ways to manage space.

I completely understand!

I don't have a lot of guitars, so that part's easier for me. But my studio gear takes up another room, so... ;)

Haha!

You guys have a nice maid's uniform for me to wear right? Something frilly?

Be careful what you wish for...

rub-15819-men_s-funny-french-maid-fancy-dress-costume-close-r.jpg

Back