The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I thought it was wired like a traditional Strat: top tone knob was neck pickup, bottom tone knob is middle pickup. There is no tone knob for bridge in this setup. At least that's my understanding of strat wiring.

I thought it was wired like a traditional Strat: top tone knob was neck pickup, bottom tone knob is middle pickup. There is no tone knob for bridge in this setup. At least that's my understanding of strat wiring.
Nope, not the SS. I did verify after I posted that one is neck and middle, and the other is bridge.

Nope, not the SS. I did verify after I posted that one is neck and middle, and the other is bridge.

Agreed. Having no tone control on the bridge is vintage spec, and adding it to the second tone knob is probably the most popular mod after adding a 5 way switch in place of the original 3 way.

I’d like to change one of mine so tone 1 is neck, and 2 is middle and bridge. I use the neck & middle combo a lot and would like the extra flexibility.

I have not heard or played one in person ( new model ) but I have heard bigger frets and lower output pickups along with the slightly different neck carves between the maple and rosewood board. I don't think I am happy about the lower output pickups at least from the videos I have heard

I have not heard or played one in person ( new model ) but I have heard bigger frets and lower output pickups along with the slightly different neck carves between the maple and rosewood board. I don't think I am happy about the lower output pickups at least from the videos I have heard
The pups in a first run SS were the finest single coils I’ve ever played.

I'm gonna sit with my 2018. Would like to try a maple board though. Maybe a Fiore is the thing to do.

I guess the question for me is what year did they change the pickups ??? 2021 or 2020

Has anyone seen much ‘real photos’ of the Roxy Pink? It tends to appear darker / lighter in the PRS videos or Tomo Fujita’s videos.

From what I’ve seen it’s slightly darker than the Fender Shell Pink?

Definitely with you there, love mine. And it’s red. Original pickups and color, the ‘18 is staying. No idea why they’d change a thing, because it was right as rain straight out of the gate, but JM is always searching!
Yeah, JM can and will push envelopes with Paul. I'm good with this one though.

Did I miss something on spec revisions to the Silver Sky for 2021 ? I know Paul said nitro finishes on 2021 models, but pickups ? fret wire ?
I found this video from the gearpage, is this all accurate ?

In terms of frets I got this response from PRS:
98-A38-FD0-7138-4-FFA-B309-98-E0-A8588-F1-D.jpg

The pickups - I find my 2021 to be a hair better with gain, and my 2019 a hair better clean. But sometimes I really don’t hear much difference at all when playing them back to back. As my 19 is rosewood and my 21 is maple - I’m not convinced they’re different TBH.

The bodies switched to nitro in 2020.

Hope that helps.

I'm not really in agreement of PRS making a running change to a model with no mention of it. Lets say someone loves their 19 silver sky and now just wants a 2nd one in a different color. It's technically a different guitar now. PRS changed the pickups so maybe they should have suffixed the pickup name with a dash and an "A" or something.

Frankly, I'm surprised that PRS didn't take advantage of the pickup change to use it as a marketing tool. "Now with improved pickups" or something.

I'm not really in agreement of PRS making a running change to a model with no mention of it. Lets say someone loves their 19 silver sky and now just wants a 2nd one in a different color. It's technically a different guitar now. PRS changed the pickups so maybe they should have suffixed the pickup name with a dash and an "A" or something.

Frankly, I'm surprised that PRS didn't take advantage of the pickup change to use it as a marketing tool. "Now with improved pickups" or something.
Completely agree with this. Not opposed to the change. John can ask for whatever he wants. It would just be nice if PRS rolled out said changes so someone doesn't unwittingly buy something unexpected.

Any pros or cons to the satin finish on the newer Moc Sands?

It feels and looks awesome!

It feels like it could be less durable though I haven’t had any issues yet. I kinda wish the pickguard wasn’t glossy because it really stands out, but I can easily live with that.

Could anyone comment on their SS nitros, especially compared to other nitro finishes?

I was going to go with a Wildwood Guitars think skin/relic ready strat but the SS has me seriously considering a PRS...

It feels and looks awesome!

It feels like it could be less durable though I haven’t had any issues yet. I kinda wish the pickguard wasn’t glossy because it really stands out, but I can easily live with that.
Is the neck satin on the rosewood version of this one too?

Back