The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Congrats! After I finally got to dial in my rig for mine, it’s quickly become my favorite live guitar. It’s so good in a band mix.
Yea I am sold! I use a 1981 DRV and it has already beefed up other strat bridge pickups for me so add the PRS magic and its all I need.

I'm intrigued by the Polar Blue finish. In some shots it looks almost like a metallic sonic blue, in others almost ice blue metallic. Would you say that's a fair description?

I'm getting a Silver Sky in a few weeks and still can't decide on colour. Sadly all the in stock ones are the other end of the country from me, but I've narrowed it down to Dodgem Blue, Midnight Rose or Polar Blue... Probably rosewood and I haven't ruled out getting a maple board version next year
Yes I think that’s pretty accurate. It looks flat when I try to photograph it but in person there is a definite sheen. There are a lot of times it looks like Fender’s sonic grey but not quite that dark. I tried to figure out how to post a picture but I must be doing it wrong.
https://imgur.com/gallery/neQrrfd

neQrrfd

I am new to Silver Sky Land. I recently bought a 2021 model. 2 things that stand out to me. Pickup output: 5.7 ohms. But what really surprises me is the neck. A nice round oval C shape neck but still quite asymmetrical, I wonder if this was also the case with the first version.
0osxVxmwGGJ0Zl8spPcmYIFVQ

Hi, i recently bought a new 2021 Silver sky. I found out that the 2nd pick up position (bridge+middle) is really really quiet in comparison with other pickup positions. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the selector switch/pickups? Thank you for your advice!

Hi, i recently bought a new 2021 Silver sky. I found out that the 2nd pick up position (bridge+middle) is really really quiet in comparison with other pickup positions. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the selector switch/pickups? Thank you for your advice!
That’s normal! It’s ok. It’s that way in position 4 too. They are hum-cancelling in those positions and will be quieter.

At first i thought that too, but that´s the thing - on my SS in position 4 it is the same volume as other positions, but if i switch to 2nd i can barely hear it..

At first i thought that too, but that´s the thing - on my SS in position 4 it is the same volume as other positions, but if i switch to 2nd i can barely hear it..

Might be worth trying a change to bridge position pickup height. Since your position 4 is OK, I'd avoid changing middle pup height.

Make a note of where the bridge is already set, so you can reverse any change and go in very small increments.

Pull the pick guard and look for a short there is not a huge difference between all the positions volume wise

Yeah, that’s a problem. Not much perceived volume loss in positions 2 and 4 on mine. They should be about the same.

Hey if anyone is interested....on my instagram page azharnaimkamal I did a back to back comparison with my First Edition Silver Sky and my 64 Strat...check it out.quite interesting.....

sounds like a problem with the the 5 way. I would recommend going back to the shop and having PRS send you a replacement 5 way, which the shop should install free of charge.If you were the original buyer.I had a minor issue with my first edition, with the markings of the pots fading away instantly. I claimed and received a free replacement after 6 weeks....

I don't want to be a rumor starter.

In full disclosure, yesterday I cold called PRS.

The receptionist (wonderful lady) asked the purpose for my call.

I told her I had a Silver Sky question. When she inquired further I said I was wondering if there were any plans to release the SS in the same color pink as John Mayer used in his video. She put me on hold. When she came back she said she had talked to someone and they said there were plans to release that color.

Now..... were they talking about Roxy Pink? Maybe.

I'm just telling you all the conversation that I had.

Honestly I hope it's true. I do really dig the hot pink (I'm in an 80s cover band so that color would be perfect on stage), but I wouldn't throw out Roxy Pink if it was the only thing available.

Side note, how many of you actually see these guitars in stores? I have yet to get my hands on one.

Did you buy yours blind?

Back