The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Gloss on the Moc Sand Satin Rosewood.
Oh man, silky smooth matte on the maple neck. This whole guitar is silk.

I didn’t expect so much chameleon from the satin moc. Some days it’s pale silver for me and some it’s almost gold. There are days when I wish I’d have got a midnight rose, then my arm feels that smooth satin :)

From PRS Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. I’ve checked in with our Product Development department who have notified me that there were no reported changes to the John Mayer Silver Sky pickups between 2020 and 2021. I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

I didn’t want to post a new thread so I thought I’d just slot it in here;
I’ve been a tone chaser on and off over the years, Santana, Clapton….. recently SRV.
Not withstanding that tone is in the fingers and soul, my recipe for a great SRV tone is Silver Sky tuned to Eflat 10.5 - 48 strings. String heights at 12th fret E &A 2.25 mm D&G 2mm B&E 1.75mm Neck relief .25 - .30mm
Stock pick up heights.
Amp - Tone king Gremlin. Harma 7025 dr250 preamp valves 6V6 power valves (using TAD Cryo Valves atm but cheap Chinese ones work but soon lose the treble). Volume about 7 or as high as possible without the bass getting muddy, tone 8.
I’ve posted similar before but this setup is good enough to end my search for the tone I was after so I wanted to share, there’s probably at least one person chasing the SRV tone on this forum, I cant be the only…….
Guitar set up and tuning down make a massive difference.
I still cannot get over what an amazing guitar the silver sky is. I absolutely love mine.

Last edited:
I didn’t want to post a new thread so I thought I’d just slot it in here;
I’ve been a tone chaser on and off over the years, Santana, Clapton….. recently SRV.
Not withstanding that tone is in the fingers and soul, my recipe for a great SRV tone is Silver Sky tuned to Eflat 10.5 - 48 strings. String heights at 12th fret E &A 2.25 mm D&G 2mm B&E 1.75mm Neck relief .25 - .30mm
Stock pick up heights.
Amp - Tone king Gremlin. Harma 7025 dr250 preamp valves 6L6 power valves (using TAD Cryo Valves atm but cheap Chinese ones work but soon lose the treble). Volume about 7 or as high as possible without the bass getting muddy, tone 8.
I’ve posted similar before but this setup is good enough to end my search for the tone I was after so I wanted to share, there’s probably at least one person chasing the SRV tone on this forum, I cant be the only…….
Guitar set up and tuning down make a massive difference.
I still cannot get over what an amazing guitar the silver sky is. I absolutely love mine.
Sounds like a great recipe! Did you have to open up the nut slot to go to 10.5 on the high e?

From the limited photos I've seen it looks like JM was using the Silver Sky as one of his guitars during the opening night of the current Dead & Co. tour.

I did a small gig a few weeks ago and I took my SS, a HelixLT, and my QuilterMicroProMach2 (8") (because it was outside, I needed the power, and my vintage Fender was having tube issues). I used all 5 settings and never felt like I was missing a thing. Fantastic guitar, so fun to play, and it really delivers. It's starting to be the one I grab most of the time and that says a lot, especially from a guy who never used to like Strats!

Apologies if this has already been talked about earlier in the thread, but I couldn't see it, nor did a search bring up the specific answer.

Are the tuners from the Fiore available separately from PRS and would they fit a Silver Sky?

I'm a few weeks away from bringing a SS home for my 40th birthday and the plastic tuner keys are the only part I'm not keen on (but will live with if no other option).

I don't think the Fiore tuners are available , but the phase 3s will fit I am told I I saw one person already put phase 3s on a Fiore.
The tuners look ( and work ) fine on both of mine they have a nice feel

Silver Sky’s have steel tuner posts while Fiore/phase 3 have brass. Does it make a difference? I don’t know, but it’s what Paul and John came up with.

I would suspect all Fiore tuners are dedicated to making Fiore production right now. It took a few years before Silver Sky tuners made it to the market, I’d expect the same here.

I didn’t like mine originally but they work super well and you kinda forget about them after a few days.

I scrolled back and read a couple articles. I'm hoping you guys can clarify something for me.

Is the pink SS in the JM video Roxy Pink?

I read the Guitar World article and it didn't sound like it was, but I wanted to be sure.

If not, is there any indication that they will make that color available?

I don't know about y'all, but I really dig that hot pink!

I scrolled back and read a couple articles. I'm hoping you guys can clarify something for me.

I read the Guitar World article and it didn't sound like it was, but I wanted to be sure.

My understanding is that the SS in the video was custom painted and then the Roxy Pink was developed afterwards. Whether Roxy was planned all along, or as a result of the positive comments about the video guitar I'd only be guessing.

When I watch videos of John with that guitar is doesn't seem like the finish is quite as dynamic, for want of a better term, as Roxy looks to be.

It is not. John said, somewhere, that the one in the video is more of a Hot Pink, than the Roxy Pink

Well a Polar Blue rosewood came in stock so I cancelled my Roxy preorder and jumped. I love it! I recently played a maple neck SS and that neck shape felt thicker, almost D shaped. The one I have now is ever so slightly slimmer and more of a C. Fits my hand great. I feel like I lucked out. The color is kind of hard to photograph! Ends up looking more greenish that it is when I take a picture. Either way I love it and as my best friend says, it really is like playing 5 different guitars. Very distinct, usable tones on hand. This is a keeper!

Well a Polar Blue rosewood came in stock so I cancelled my Roxy preorder and jumped. I love it! I recently played a maple neck SS and that neck shape felt thicker, almost D shaped. The one I have now is ever so slightly slimmer and more of a C. Fits my hand great. I feel like I lucked out. The color is kind of hard to photograph! Ends up looking more greenish that it is when I take a picture. Either way I love it and as my best friend says, it really is like playing 5 different guitars. Very distinct, usable tones on hand. This is a keeper!
Congrats! After I finally got to dial in my rig for mine, it’s quickly become my favorite live guitar. It’s so good in a band mix.

I'm intrigued by the Polar Blue finish. In some shots it looks almost like a metallic sonic blue, in others almost ice blue metallic. Would you say that's a fair description?

I'm getting a Silver Sky in a few weeks and still can't decide on colour. Sadly all the in stock ones are the other end of the country from me, but I've narrowed it down to Dodgem Blue, Midnight Rose or Polar Blue... Probably rosewood and I haven't ruled out getting a maple board version next year

Back