The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Sounds reasonable and I do find that when my technique gets lazy that I don’t foul the high e string with the inside of my index finger. Or I at least have to try a lot harder to do so!!

I believe it was a request from John Mayer, as he wanted clearance on the treble side when playing near the nut end.

Hi folks! New guy here. Just got a silver sky and has anyone noticed that the shoulder on the treble side is less rounded than the bass side? (more meat, slightly asymmetrical). Is this a design thing or a production flaw? Thought that to not be possible because the use of CNC and stuff. Many thanks!
Yes I have noticed, and I LOVE IT!

Official moc sand SATIN pic from the prs website. Guitar center said it would ship preorders around May 1st.
silver_sky_rosewood_2021_moc_sand_satin.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve recently acquired a midnight rose SS.

Where have you been all my life?? I’ve never had a strat style guitar that sustained or resonated like this SS, or which sounded so even all the way up and down the neck. The bass strings ring out like a piano!

My minor gripe is that I wish the tone and volume knobs felt tighter and had more resistance. There is a bit of play in them right now, and they can be jiggled around slightly.

Does anyone here float their SS trems? I tried that but thought that the bass strings lost a little punchiness and tightness.

Just got my first SS (Polar ice w rosewood). As strat-style guitars go, PRS knocked it out fo the park with this instrument. I honestly didn’t expect it to be as good as it is. I bonded instantly with my DGT and now this. We may be in the golden age of PRS guitars. It seems they are firing on all cylinders and have really upped their game in pickups. The SS is very vintage in tone but the bridge pickup sounds fantastic driven. The thing I remain in awe of is the how resonant it is. I like a solid body that sounds great unplugged. This is one of my best. 10’s are perfect on it with the neck radius. Some may prefer 9’s to get it a little slinkier. Mine’s 7lbs, 1oz. If they all sound this good, regardless of the weight, what an algorithm PRS has come up with.

Last edited:

Where have you been all my life?? I’ve never had a strat style guitar that sustained or resonated like this SS, or which sounded so even all the way up and down the neck. The bass strings ring out like a piano!

My minor gripe is that I wish the tone and volume knobs felt tighter and had more resistance. There is a bit of play in them right now, and they can be jiggled around slightly.

Does anyone here float their SS trems? I tried that but thought that the bass strings lost a little punchiness and tightness.

I am gonna hit my hardware store up for some teeny rubber “O” rings under the knobs.....

How many people in this thread have a modded Silver Sky??
It would be super cool to see how many people have treated their SS like a Fender Strat. I've only seen one here that has jumbo frets, and a couple with different pickguars. Couldn't imagine anyone here swapping the pickups, but other mods seem perfectly reasonable.

It would be super cool to see how many people have treated their SS like a Fender Strat. I've only seen one here that has jumbo frets, and a couple with different pickguars. Couldn't imagine anyone here swapping the pickups, but other mods seem perfectly reasonable.

I’d like a parchment guard and aged white plastics as I’m not a fan of stark white, but at the same time I love it so much I’m afraid to touch it lol. Same with the tuners - not a fan of the gray buttons but they work incredibly well. I have strats to tinker with if I feel so inclined I guess.

I’ve got a 63 strat that sounds amazing and the neck is it’s heart and soul. My silver sky is it’s equal, which blows me away. I can see doing a few minor things to a SS, but I’ll buy a refurb or used eventually. I’m not touching my #1. I would love to play about 10 of these side by side to see how repeatable their build algorithm is. I wouldn’t touch the neck, pickups, bridge, electronics, frets, nut.... so what’s left? (Tuner knobs, pick guard, aesthetics)

I’ve got a 63 strat that sounds amazing and the neck is it’s heart and soul. My silver sky is it’s equal, which blows me away. I can see doing a few minor things to a SS, but I’ll buy a refurb or used eventually. I’m not touching my #1. I would love to play about 10 of these side by side to see how repeatable their build algorithm is. I wouldn’t touch the neck, pickups, bridge, electronics, frets, nut.... so what’s left? (Tuner knobs, pick guard, aesthetics)

Would love pics of the 63 - it is part of the SS inspiration and all!

I had the luxury of one in each color to choose from and I tried them all. They were incredibly consistent across the lot, leaving me to only pick which color I preferred.

Back