The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

183 pages later and I finally pulled the trigger! I was going back and forth between Tungsten and Midnight Rose, but with Covid I haven't been able to see a midnight rose in person, much less try a maple neck, and I I got tired of waiting. So... Tungsten and Rosewood it is, the new classic. Shipping out tomorrow. Woohoo!

183 pages later and I finally pulled the trigger! I was going back and forth between Tungsten and Midnight Rose, but with Covid I haven't been able to see a midnight rose in person, much less try a maple neck, and I I got tired of waiting. So... Tungsten and Rosewood it is, the new classic. Shipping out tomorrow. Woohoo!

Congrats! I hope it arrives quickly, and doesn't get caught in the COVID and Christmas shipping craziness doesn't get you.

[New to the forum here].

I pulled the trigger on a Polar Blue with Rosewood neck last night. It was really tough choosing a colour / neck type especially with how the colour comes off in different photos and lighting.

Had to order mine from US (I’m from the Far East) because my local dealer doesn’t have the one I want and it’s take up to 9 months to get them in.

Last edited:

Congrats! Although I fear you went through all that angst needlessly - we’re just gonna encourage you to buy the Midnight Rose, too.

Atta boy!

I purchased the Nebula silver sky a few months ago. I have played it thru my Marshall 100 Watt super lead, Fender Champ, and Line 6 Helix. I just could not
get a pleasant sound out of it.. It sounded thin on the high frets, kind of poppy and weak, even with the PRS 10s strings. I decided to sell my vintage champ
and purchase a Reissue Deluxe reverb, and swapped the speaker for the Cannabis Rex speaker. I read they add a lot of bottom end and mellow bass.
Wow this completely changed my opinion on the guitar. I was watching a John Mayer interview, and he mentioned the guitar was designed around Fender amps.
The full sustaining sound I am getting is unbelievable now. I have read a few comments here, and on the facebook silver sky page about the pickup issues and thought
I would share my experience fixing the issue. Thanks for reading!
The Deluxe Reverb is an amazing little amp. Talking about sound revelations and the stock Fender speaker, I’ve also never been particularly overwhelmed with my DR’s speaker. I’ve been meaning to try a Celestion Alnico Gold or Jensen Blackbird in it, the latter being so impressive in the Mesa Boogie California Tweed. I recently picked up a Morgan open back 2x12 cab with Alnico Blues in it, the first time I have owned/used these venerable speakers. As the amp for that cab wasn’t in yet, I tried the DR through it. Spectacular! By far the best it has ever sounded! Granted, it’s 2 speakers, but the tone was so clear and full. Definitely going to try the Gold when time and funds permit!

The right amp, with the right speaker(s), makes a huge difference.

Are there any alternatives to the PRS hard case? Thinking of getting a hard case not because I travel/gig with the guitar but in case I ever need to store it long term, it’s much better off in the hard case.

Also, I keep reading that the Silver Sky plays extremely well out of the Maryland factory and there should be minimal setup required. Additionally the dealer I ordered from said they set up the guitars before shipping it. Wondering if I should set up an appointment with the luthier...

For my previous guitars (Fender and Epiphone) I had to do extensive work like fret leveling, crowning, polishing etc to make it truly a joy to play.

Are there any alternatives to the PRS hard case? Thinking of getting a hard case not because I travel/gig with the guitar but in case I ever need to store it long term, it’s much better off in the hard case.

Also, I keep reading that the Silver Sky plays extremely well out of the Maryland factory and there should be minimal setup required. Additionally the dealer I ordered from said they set up the guitars before shipping it. Wondering if I should set up an appointment with the luthier...

For my previous guitars (Fender and Epiphone) I had to do extensive work like fret leveling, crowning, polishing etc to make it truly a joy to play.

Setting the action to your liking, if applicable, is probably the most you have to worry about. The frets will be perfect, and intonation should be spot on. 10 months in and I haven’t even touched the truss rod yet.

I have a nice hard case from an old Strat - fits great, though generally it hangs on a wall when not in use.

Enjoy it, they’re a lot of fun!

Well, mine arrived and it is (no surprise) stellar. Still need to adjust some things here and there and likely change the strings, but so far I'm thrilled by the feel and playability. The neck is nice and thick, which I really dig, and the frets and radius are fantastic. I was expecting less shoulders, but it's great. Didn't get to plug into my tube amp yet, but I made sure everything was working well and sadly put it back in the case and by the tree.... I always wanted a guitar to open on Xmas (just to pretend I'm a kid again) and it's going to happen this year.

Serious question in the interim -- mine is a 2020 with the nitro body. Can I put on a Souldier strap (leather ends) and leave it on the nitro body, or will it damage the finish? Or should I put on Schalers, like my others. I'd rather just put on a Souldier and call it a day. My Danocasters that have nitro have Souldiers on them and never had any problem, but want to be much more careful with this non-relic'ed guitar! Thanks guys.

Didn't get to plug into my tube amp yet, but I made sure everything was working well and sadly put it back in the case and by the tree.... I always wanted a guitar to open on Xmas (just to pretend I'm a kid again) and it's going to happen this year.

Oh, to be able to get to that case and swap in a Hello Kitty guitar...

Setting the action to your liking, if applicable, is probably the most you have to worry about. The frets will be perfect, and intonation should be spot on. 10 months in and I haven’t even touched the truss rod yet.

I have a nice hard case from an old Strat - fits great, though generally it hangs on a wall when not in use.

Enjoy it, they’re a lot of fun!

Well, mine arrived and it is (no surprise) stellar. Still need to adjust some things here and there and likely change the strings, but so far I'm thrilled by the feel and playability. The neck is nice and thick, which I really dig, and the frets and radius are fantastic. I was expecting less shoulders, but it's great. Didn't get to plug into my tube amp yet, but I made sure everything was working well and sadly put it back in the case and by the tree.... I always wanted a guitar to open on Xmas (just to pretend I'm a kid again) and it's going to happen this year.

Serious question in the interim -- mine is a 2020 with the nitro body. Can I put on a Souldier strap (leather ends) and leave it on the nitro body, or will it damage the finish? Or should I put on Schalers, like my others. I'd rather just put on a Souldier and call it a day. My Danocasters that have nitro have Souldiers on them and never had any problem, but want to be much more careful with this non-relic'ed guitar! Thanks guys.

Excellent, thank you both for the replies. I reckon I’ll just spend a few days with it instead of automatically taking it to the luthier, the money saved could go to a hard case...

Funny, you guys joking about the Hello Kitty, but I actually bought one of those for my oldest daughter about 13 years ago hoping my baby might follow in my footsteps. There’s a near mint pink full scale Hello Kitty in the closet and damn if that Squier hasn’t appreciated a wee bit! Reverb has them at $365-$625!

Funny, you guys joking about the Hello Kitty, but I actually bought one of those for my oldest daughter about 13 years ago hoping my baby might follow in my footsteps. There’s a near mint pink full scale Hello Kitty in the closet and damn if that Squier hasn’t appreciated a wee bit! Reverb has them at $365-$625!
Oh, you just became a legend in these here parts!

Oh, you just became a legend in these here parts!

Suddenly it’s clear why Sergio bailed.

Back