The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Hi, is this true for sure? Do we know when the switch to Nitro began?
Yes, for sure on all the USA models. When it began? I'm not really sure, but I think it was this year.
Yes, the intent was for all Core models to have the new Nitro Over CAB finish starting in Jan or Feb at the latest, I believe. the COVID-19 thing might have caused us to get distracted from the switch over.

Yes, the intent was for all Core models to have the new Nitro Over CAB finish starting in Jan or Feb at the latest, I believe. the COVID-19 thing might have caused us to get distracted from the switch over.

Ok. Thanks. I'm glad to hear this actually because mine is a June 2019, and I'd rather have the finish that keeps it looking new vs the nitro finish.

Hey folks, thought I’d throw this in here!

I’ve had the pleasure of filming a few videos with Peach based around the Silver Sky, but this most recent one is my favourite. I finally got the chance to stack the new maple board model up against the rosewood board, something I think a few people were interested in hearing for themselves... check it out, let me know what you think!

And to anyone who’s purchased a SS recently, you have my hearty congratulations! It’s a stellar instrument all-round.

I’ve had the pleasure of filming a few videos with Peach based around the Silver Sky, but this most recent one is my favourite. I finally got the chance to stack the new maple board model up against the rosewood board, something I think a few people were interested in hearing for themselves... check it out, let me know what you think!

And to anyone who’s purchased a SS recently, you have my hearty congratulations! It’s a stellar instrument all-round.

Thanks for doing that Jack.
I have the rosewood version which I really love, but I've wanted to try the satin finish of the maple board version as well.
Might just be my ears, but the rosewood sounded more chunky low end and the maple more spanky bright.
Both sound stellar with you playing.
Cheers

Nicely done!

Love your videos, thanks for all the great content! Picked up my rw Silver Sky just over a week ago and loving it. This video was one that helped push me over the edge!

So what you’re saying is that he’s your “Pusherman”?!;)
I only wish so, buying from England and shipping to Lebanon is more expensive than shipping from the States, so unless I go myself
one of these days to pay a visit to a couple of chaps ;) and grab something I love, that's a "No, No" for the foreseeable future.

I only wish so, buying from England and shipping to Lebanon is more expensive than shipping from the States, so unless I go myself
one of these days to pay a visit to a couple of chaps ;) and grab something I love, that's a "No, No" for the foreseeable future.

Hey once lockdown is over, what’s a wee trip to the UK. There’s always a welcome in Dundee!:D

A coda to this post:

I'd been raising the pickups more and more over time, and while this is a killer instrument in terms of looks and feel, I was enjoying the way it sounded less and less. The bridge was sounding too trebly, the neck was sounding too croupy, both were too buzzy and the middle pickup had the worst attributes of both. In a Youtube-inspired snit, I decided to lower the f!?k out of 'em all to a few mm above the pickguard.

I was not subtle about it, and y'know what? I'm liking it! I may be onto something here...

It's here...! :D

My first glimpse on opening the bag was sky blue, which was a surprise. This color is amazing: the deep blues and purples we've all seen, some bright green flash, gold, orange, and even a nasty snotty bile green if you look across the body at a low angle. My wife calls it the "Autopia guitar," and yup, it's got pretty much all those colors.

In terms of playability and sustain/resonance across all the strings, this has got my genuine "F" guitar cowering in the corner. The 635JM pickups sounded pretty, well, dainty to me compared to the Fralin Blues Specials I'm used to. After eyeballing those for a moment or two, I raised the PRS pickups one full turn of the screwdriver. Much better! That gave it some of the asthmatic growl and punch it had been missing. I really like the way this guitar responds when played hard and loud. :cool:

Also, this glossy flashy paint is a lint magnet! But enough with the words already...

n1.png

n2.png

n3.png

n4.png

n5.png

I also like my SS pickups lower than factory settings :) also like the bridge floating better.

A coda to this post:

I'd been raising the pickups more and more over time, and while this is a killer instrument in terms of looks and feel, I was enjoying the way it sounded less and less. The bridge was sounding too trebly, the neck was sounding too croupy, both were too buzzy and the middle pickup had the worst attributes of both. In a Youtube-inspired snit, I decided to lower the f!?k out of 'em all to a few mm above the pickguard.

I was not subtle about it, and y'know what? I'm liking it! I may be onto something here...

I don’t know if it’s just been a freak thing that’s happened to me but I was loving the hell out of the guitar. So much so that I bought a back up (not bragging. I could of spent my money better)
Right out the gate I noticed that the wood on the neck was completely different. One was just bland and the other beautiful and even had light roasted look to it. PRS explained to be that it’s the same but I don’t know I’ll take their word for it I guess.
However the more annoying issues were that it was just constant static which I see people have said the same. The the wiring just degraded to the point of it barely being playable cause it was just buzzing constantly. The frets wore down way too quickly as well. I play a lot but not for it warrant wearing in months. and probably the worst thing to happen is that the neck pick up on the 2nd more recent one just died. Had a look and there was a break in the coil. I tried returning both but got told I voided the warranty on both. Once to fix a solder joint and the other to check the pick up.

Like I said maybe it’s just a freak thing with me. I still love them even though they aren’t playable. One day I’ll get them fixed but seeing as pick ups aren’t sold separately then I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
I’m a bit devasted but I’m glad to see that others do not have those problems because for the time I played them they were amazing.

If you are the original owner contact PTC they will set you straight.
Even if your not the original owner PRS will often make things right.
PRS customer service has always taken care of me. as far as VOIDED warranty think you should find a different dealer.

I don’t know if it’s just been a freak thing that’s happened to me but I was loving the hell out of the guitar. So much so that I bought a back up (not bragging. I could of spent my money better)
Right out the gate I noticed that the wood on the neck was completely different. One was just bland and the other beautiful and even had light roasted look to it. PRS explained to be that it’s the same but I don’t know I’ll take their word for it I guess.
However the more annoying issues were that it was just constant static which I see people have said the same. The the wiring just degraded to the point of it barely being playable cause it was just buzzing constantly. The frets wore down way too quickly as well. I play a lot but not for it warrant wearing in months. and probably the worst thing to happen is that the neck pick up on the 2nd more recent one just died. Had a look and there was a break in the coil. I tried returning both but got told I voided the warranty on both. Once to fix a solder joint and the other to check the pick up.

Like I said maybe it’s just a freak thing with me. I still love them even though they aren’t playable. One day I’ll get them fixed but seeing as pick ups aren’t sold separately then I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
I’m a bit devasted but I’m glad to see that others do not have those problems because for the time I played them they were amazing.

Jack - big fan of your videos, channel and mostly your playing. Sometimes I watch the video even after I know I do not want the gear just to keep hearing you play. Great on all styles!

I purchased the Nebula silver sky a few months ago. I have played it thru my Marshall 100 Watt super lead, Fender Champ, and Line 6 Helix. I just could not
get a pleasant sound out of it.. It sounded thin on the high frets, kind of poppy and weak, even with the PRS 10s strings. I decided to sell my vintage champ
and purchase a Reissue Deluxe reverb, and swapped the speaker for the Cannabis Rex speaker. I read they add a lot of bottom end and mellow bass.
Wow this completely changed my opinion on the guitar. I was watching a John Mayer interview, and he mentioned the guitar was designed around Fender amps.
The full sustaining sound I am getting is unbelievable now. I have read a few comments here, and on the facebook silver sky page about the pickup issues and thought
I would share my experience fixing the issue. Thanks for reading!

@chuckyab , yeah, not surprised about lackluster performance from a Champ. They're cool little amps for practicing and portability, but you need at least a Princeton (10" and 15 watts) and up to really get a feel for a guitar. I suspect that DR sounds a helluva lot better with your rig, across the board, not just the guitar. Enjoy!

I purchased the Nebula silver sky a few months ago. I have played it thru my Marshall 100 Watt super lead, Fender Champ, and Line 6 Helix. I just could not
get a pleasant sound out of it.. It sounded thin on the high frets, kind of poppy and weak, even with the PRS 10s strings. I decided to sell my vintage champ
and purchase a Reissue Deluxe reverb, and swapped the speaker for the Cannabis Rex speaker. I read they add a lot of bottom end and mellow bass.
Wow this completely changed my opinion on the guitar. I was watching a John Mayer interview, and he mentioned the guitar was designed around Fender amps.
The full sustaining sound I am getting is unbelievable now. I have read a few comments here, and on the facebook silver sky page about the pickup issues and thought
I would share my experience fixing the issue. Thanks for reading!

Congrats on the SS, and agreed on the Champ limitations.

Weird question though: What were you playing the SuperLead through? I'm surprised you couldn't find a cab that worked w/it that you dug?

Back