The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I am curious if anyone has had the string height lowered at the nut on their SS ?
A few years ago I had my F.Strat re-fretted, and the luthier changed the nut, and the string grooves were slightly lowered and strung with 10-46.
This change made fretting the 1st two frets almost effortless.
After having the SS for a few weeks now, I feel like I have to press slightly harder on the low frets. Seems a tad high..
Thanks for the input, I am hesitant to have someone mess with this guitar since it is so new..

The lowest you can go in theory is to the point where the bottom of the string slot is at the same height as the first fret, i.e a 'zero fret' nut.
You don't necessarily want to do that though because over time those nut slots will wear down a bit and your open notes will start buzzing the moment it goes a bit lower than the 1st fret.

A good rule of thumb (per GraphTech) is to have a 0.006" of clearance on the high e, and 0.01" on the E string between the 1st fret and the strings when you fret between the 2nd and 3rd frets (making sure the strings is in contact with the 2nd fret).

If that is already set right, you don't really have much room to go lower.

However you first want to:
- have the neck relief set up correctly before you mess with that. That can contribute to that harder to press feel
- lowering the action too would help if it's set too high. It always is too high to my taste on the SS.

Thanks, I agree it feels too high all down the neck, but there is very little relief in the neck.
I thought about lowering the action, but those small bridge screws are already higher than the saddles,
I guess it may need the shim. I will prob. leave it as is and continue trying to get used to it until I can get it to
the luthier I trust across town.

The lowest you can go in theory is to the point where the bottom of the string slot is at the same height as the first fret, i.e a 'zero fret' nut.
You don't necessarily want to do that though because over time those nut slots will wear down a bit and your open notes will start buzzing the moment it goes a bit lower than the 1st fret.

A good rule of thumb (per GraphTech) is to have a 0.006" of clearance on the high e, and 0.01" on the E string between the 1st fret and the strings when you fret between the 2nd and 3rd frets (making sure the strings is in contact with the 2nd fret).

If that is already set right, you don't really have much room to go lower.

However you first want to:
- have the neck relief set up correctly before you mess with that. That can contribute to that harder to press feel
- lowering the action too would help if it's set too high. It always is too high to my taste on the SS.

Oh the bridge screws on mine are definitely sticking out a bit by 1/32" or more, I'm used to it with Strats but I understand the trauma :p when used to PRS bridges
Little neck relief. Action is around 4/32" to 5/32" from e to E (as low as I can realistically get without notes choking out on a 7.25" radius)

@Shawn@PRS

Curious, so

Since the Silver Sky necks are bolt on like a Strat, is it as easy to switch necks to other bodies?

I would say it it depends on the tolerance at the joint. Yes each neck and body is initially machined on CNC, however they will be finished by hand and then add any finish that is on the neck.

It could be tight (as the Actress said to the Bishop)

Curious...I tried an SS tonight and bending the strings were quite scratchy. Is this normal? My current Suhr has stainless steel frets, and I know they are way smoother, but should the ss frets be scratchy during bends?
My player series tele doesn’t scratch at all n

Curious...I tried an SS tonight and bending the strings were quite scratchy. Is this normal? My current Suhr has stainless steel frets, and I know they are way smoother, but should the ss frets be scratchy during bends?
My player series tele doesn’t scratch at all n

It means the frets weren’t polished sufficiently.
Thing is, few manufacturers bother to polish nickel frets to a mirror-like shine because 1) it’s very time consuming, 2) they’ll normally get ‘polished’ after a few bends in that position as strings wear/level out the surface.

With stainless steel frets you don’t have that luxury. If you don’t polish them properly from the get go that scratchy feeling will take forever to go away.

I haven’t noticed that on my SS, but higher up the neck of a recent Core CU24 the frets are nowhere close to be as polished as they should be (IMO for an instrument of that price) and very scratchy feeling too on the e string.

As to whether that’s normal or not, we will all have our opinion based on price, and exposure to different manufacturers, and fret materials.

I have a Martin Modern Deluxe which comes with gold frets and they clearly didn’t polish that thing at all, it’s awfully scratchy and it’s not going to go away until I polish those frets (those EVO good frets are close to the hardness of stainless steel frets). It costs twice as much as a Silver Sky, maybe they don’t expect acoustic players to bend strings ?

It means the frets weren’t polished sufficiently.
Thing is, few manufacturers bother to polish nickel frets to a mirror-like shine because 1) it’s very time consuming, 2) they’ll normally get ‘polished’ after a few bends in that position as strings wear/level out the surface.

With stainless steel frets you don’t have that luxury. If you don’t polish them properly from the get go that scratchy feeling will take forever to go away.

I haven’t noticed that on my SS, but higher up the neck of a recent Core CU24 the frets are nowhere close to be as polished as they should be (IMO for an instrument of that price) and very scratchy feeling too on the e string.

As to whether that’s normal or not, we will all have our opinion based on price, and exposure to different manufacturers, and fret materials.

I have a Martin Modern Deluxe which comes with gold frets and they clearly didn’t polish that thing at all, it’s awfully scratchy and it’s not going to go away until I polish those frets (those EVO good frets are close to the hardness of stainless steel frets). It costs twice as much as a Silver Sky, maybe they don’t expect acoustic players to bend strings ?

Thanks...one more question. The SS I played last night seemed to have very loose strings. I prefer the strings to be nice and tight. I don’t know what gauge strings he had on it, but it felt very floppy. Normal?

If its used, maybe he set it up with 9's, because with 10's they are not like that at all..

Thanks...one more question. The SS I played last night seemed to have very loose strings. I prefer the strings to be nice and tight. I don’t know what gauge strings he had on it, but it felt very floppy. Normal?

If its used, maybe he set it up with 9's, because with 10's they are not like that at all..
very good to know.
I used to have an S2 standard (avatar) that was much 'tighter' than the SS I played.

The info from the String Swing page... no mention of nitro or specific finishes, save two, and they don't mention what is special about those. White finishes from Gibson change color without touching anything, so that sounds right, but I’m not sure what the Fender situation might be.

I messaged them on mine... a dozen guitars hanging in the right now. I wouldn’t want any ugly surprises.

“String Swing® is not responsible for marking a guitar provided the following:

• If a different hanger was used to previously hang your guitar.
  • If the tubing was cleaned with a solution prior to hanging your guitar.
  • Displaying a White Gibson® or NOS Fender® Custom without consulting String Swing®.
String Swing® has tested new white tubing that is potentially safer for the unique finish on these guitars. However, at this time; it is not available for purchase on this website. If you would like to order or inquire about this material, please email us at [email protected] or call toll free 888.455.6628 or 608.435.6628 for international calls.“

Yeah, sounds like 9 or hybrid 9-46.
Loose feeling strings is the last thing I’d use to describe a Silver Sky with stock setup ;-)
I set the trem slightly floating on mine (bridge plate parallel to body) to make it easier to play while also having the possibility to use the trem.

@Shawn@PRS

Curious, so

Since the Silver Sky necks are bolt on like a Strat, is it as easy to switch necks to other bodies?

You can switch SS necks for other SS necks. In other words, if you have a SS with a rosewood board and your were able to find a SS neck with a maple board, it will fit. I don't think a SS neck will fit a Strat, though

The info from the String Swing page... no mention of nitro or specific finishes, save two, and they don't mention what is special about those. White finishes from Gibson change color without touching anything, so that sounds right, but I’m not sure what the Fender situation might be.

I messaged them on mine... a dozen guitars hanging in the right now. I wouldn’t want any ugly surprises.

“String Swing® is not responsible for marking a guitar provided the following:

• If a different hanger was used to previously hang your guitar.
  • If the tubing was cleaned with a solution prior to hanging your guitar.
  • Displaying a White Gibson® or NOS Fender® Custom without consulting String Swing®.
String Swing® has tested new white tubing that is potentially safer for the unique finish on these guitars. However, at this time; it is not available for purchase on this website. If you would like to order or inquire about this material, please email us at [email protected] or call toll free 888.455.6628 or 608.435.6628 for international calls.“
I'm not too concerned about my poly-finished guitars, but the nitro / CAB finish on my PRSi and an old Gibson acoustic make me nervous now.

I hope John Mann can provide some insight. Or Shawn.

You can switch SS necks for other SS necks. In other words, if you have a SS with a rosewood board and your were able to find a SS neck with a maple board, it will fit. I don't think a SS neck will fit a Strat, though
I have a Horizon that would look great with a maple neck, and since Horizon isn't offered anymore .....

I may look to pick up another favorite color SS with a maple neck and then swap the necks.

Just wanted to make sure there were no hidden problems doing so.

I have a Horizon that would look great with a maple neck, and since Horizon isn't offered anymore .....

I may look to pick up another favorite color SS with a maple neck and then swap the necks.

Just wanted to make sure there were no hidden problems doing so.
Don't know why Horizon was discontinued. Was the best original option, IMO.

Don't know why Horizon was discontinued. Was the best original option, IMO.
PRS stops making finishes and whole guitar models when they don't sell as well as others. They looked at the numbers, and said "drop those ones". It is a nice finish color, but perhaps the vast majority of those that wanted one got them in the first year or two, and demand then plummeted.

Back