The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. RJK Tech

RJK Tech New Member

If the neck is not aligned properly it's either the wrong case or a bad batch. This is exactly what happened to me. I had to push it down in and the neck cutout was way off. I think it's the wrong case.

I sent it back to PRS and they replaced it with the proper case. The neck lines up perfectly on the replacement case and it did not need to be pushed down in to fit properly. I've never had to push a PRS into the proper case.

So send your case back and have PRS get you the right case.

RickP likes this.
  2. NTN

NTN New Member

Thank you!

3. horax

horax New Member

My SS is in my town as of 4:41 am.
    Stinking UPS won't deliver until tomorrow, though....ugh!

RickP and bodia like this.
  4. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

Very different animals in terms of neck, pickups, and tone, both amazing though. The Clapton is the better value and more versatile though, IMO.

5. horax

horax New Member

That's what I'm hoping for...two differen things completely.
    My PRS is on the truck for delivery...awesome 63 style with amazing feel and pickups.

the Clapton arrives on Thursday with the tbx and mid boost noiseless 57 style....really excited for them both.

6. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

Note that w/ the EC, even with the mid-boost knob at the minimum, the active circuit is always ON and produces a lot more output than a passive Strat.
    Volume at 10 on a normal Strat/Silver Sky is kind of like setting the volume at 7 on the Clapton, very useful to drive an amp w/o a distortion pedal.

The TBX is mostly a fancy tone pot, the man himself uses a regular 250k pot instead in his Masterbuilt Strats. I find it quite useful though, especially with the original lace sensors PUPs to get a really "glassy" tone.

7. horax

horax New Member

She's here....there's a NGD thread, but I'll drop some photos in here, as well.

NOTE: does anybody know how to decipher the serial number? I know the first digits are the year, but what about the rest?
    Does it pertain to month, date, run #, etc?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. RallyFanatic

RallyFanatic Perpetual musical mid-life crisis

I’ve not seen midnight rose with rosewood - it looks excellent!

Other than the year, the serial number has no bearing on anything else really. Under the pickguard will be the modcat number which using the decoder (search here, you should find it) will tell you when it was finished, color info...etc.

bodia and horax like this.
  9. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

SNs are just sequential after the year for any particular "line" (Core, S2, etc). I think the Silver Skys fall into the Core line. My SN of (20) 03006xx is 20000 more than the 594SH built early/mid-2019. My S2s have SNs starting with S2, and numbers that indicate the S2 line started at "0000000".

bodia and DougUSMC like this.
  10. Joesnewmatch

Joesnewmatch Semi-Special Guitarist

Congrats on that Midnight Rose Rosewood. Fantastic color!!!

horax likes this.
  11. chuckyab

chuckyab New Member

Hi, I have a question about using the tremolo. I have the bridge at factory setting, flush to the back..
    and have loosened the spring screws 1 1/2 turns, the bridge is just about to start lifting in the back..
    Question is, how far down can the trem be pushed down before it would harm the body?
    I have watched the video regarding floating the trem, and unscrewing the 6 screws 1 turn ect.. but I am
    not floating the bridge.. I am not expecting to divebomb where the bar touches the pickguard,, just wondering
    what is reasonably safe for the guitar.. with the bridge flush
    thanks!

12. Minas Kouroglou

Minas Kouroglou New Member

Hello Guys...I am really close on ordering a silver sky but unfortunatelly i am from Greece and there is no way for me to try one out first... I read a lot of things about the SS neck profile and some people are saying that the it is way to chunky... I have a Prs custom 24 with pattern regular neck profile and it is fine, although i read that the JM neck profile has even bigger shoulders than a pattern regular profile, anyone here that has both and compared them ? Generally would you call the SS neck fat or extra chunky ? Thanks a lot !

13. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

necks new.jpg

RickP, Dead&Co, Jazzedout and 5 others like this.
  14. Minas Kouroglou

Minas Kouroglou New Member

One question, do the 2017-2019 rosewood models have the 635JM-R or the 635JM models ?

15. JonW

JonW ...as seen in the PRS company magazine

I want a "Retail Training and Resource Guide" for christmas

16. JonW

JonW ...as seen in the PRS company magazine

As far as I know the 635JM-R was introduced in 2020, so everything before should have the 635JM.

17. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

Thing is there's quite a bit of variation from one neck to another, but of the handful of 2019 and 2020 rosewood ones I played they've all (except one) felt too chunky for me. Like some of the chunkier feeling Pattern Vintage necks, and those aren't exactly thin feeling to begin with.
    IMO it's not really because of the neck thickness, but rather how much off-center the profile is and how much shoulders they're left with once the hand sanding is done. It's likely I'm more sensitive than others to how off-center the profile is and how much shoulders the neck has.

The one that felt thinnest is a keeper though. I'd put that in-between Pattern / Pattern regular in terms of feel. It feels exactly like a Warmoth neck with SRV profile I just got and that's the same as the Fender SRV Strat (it's scanned/modeled after it), if you have any experience with either.

My advice would be to try if possible to get one from a store with a very generous return policy, which may not be as easy to find in Europe than in the US unfortunately.

#3557 docteurseb, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  18. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

635JM was the original carve.

JonW likes this.
  19. unretrofiedforu

unretrofiedforu New Member

To me the SS neck carve is the 'best' early 60s style carve... a very elusive shape and spec, and honestly my preferred favorite neck shape.

horax likes this.
  20. horax

horax New Member

I'm very much loving hte SS jm-r neck carve. I have huge hands, so I prefer large, round necks. My favorite is hte American Original 50's tele U shaped. This JM version is very nice. The 12th fret carve is perfection, but the first fret COULD be larger.
    I'm not comlplaining, though. Glad I got rosewood over maple just for the extra thickness...and I'm a maple fan!