The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Shouldn't be a problem. PRS uses very hard fret wire. Hardest you can get outside of SS, I believe.

Well... don't really know about that. Been using mine constantly for 3 weeks (had it from December) and I notice significant wear bellow the G string specially. It is not as bad as the one used on Strats (you can literally see the metal pieces going down) but still.

Well... don't really know about that. Been using mine constantly for 3 weeks (had it from December) and I notice significant wear bellow the G string specially. It is not as bad as the one used on Strats (you can literally see the metal pieces going down) but still.

Steel strings can still wear down frets - more so if the Frets aren't as 'hard' as the strings. SS frets still wear with SS strings. If you want frets to last longer, make sure your strings are made of 'softer' metals. SS strings seem to be the answer to getting more life out of your strings, stopping you from having to change strings as often. However that means the frets wear faster instead. SS frets are the answer to reducing, minimising fret wear for those that prefer SS based Strings...

Steel strings can still wear down frets - more so if the Frets aren't as 'hard' as the strings. SS frets still wear with SS strings. If you want frets to last longer, make sure your strings are made of 'softer' metals. SS strings seem to be the answer to getting more life out of your strings, stopping you from having to change strings as often. However that means the frets wear faster instead. SS frets are the answer to reducing, minimising fret wear for those that prefer SS based Strings...

You are correct, I would assume that. Only use EB .10 regular slinky's (nickel wound) strings on it... I just was hopping for a better and longer life on frets.

Have had guitars for decades w no fret issues like described here. Can't imagine pieces of metal flying off the frets but I guess anything can happen. Sounds like an issue for PRS to check out or at least get dealer feedback. Something's not right there.

On occasion we'll get complaints about fret wear. We'll bring the guitar back to the factory and pull a fret and test it for hardness. Not once have we had a fret fail for being out of spec. However, if you feel the frets on your guitar are wearing prematurely, please contact your dealer or PRS customer service and we'll be happy to test the hardness of your frets.

So, back to topic (I know...) I have always known I'm a "light touch" player. Not that I play easy. You guys know what kind of music I like so you probably know I play reasonably aggressively, and I have fairly strong hands. But I do not "monkey grip" the neck and try to see if I can mash the frets all the way out the back of the neck when I play.

Still, when I see these comments here and at TGP with guys claiming they have to refret their PRS almost every year or finally had to go stainless frets so they could stop refretting every year or couple years, it makes me wonder...

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS DOING TO THESE GUITARS????? Vice grips? Capo's with 100 lbs of tension? It does not register with me, how someone would play these things that could wear their frets that fast. One of my friends at church is a country and bluegrass player. He asked me a few weeks ago where he could get his Martin refretted. It's 20 years old, it's his only guitar, he plays daily and he uses a capo A LOT, and his frets lasted 20 years.

Somebody please explain to me how you can have fret wear on a PRS after a few weeks. My little brain can't conceive of this.

So, back to topic (I know...) I have always known I'm a "light touch" player. Not that I play easy. You guys know what kind of music I like so you probably know I play reasonably aggressively, and I have fairly strong hands. But I do not "monkey grip" the neck and try to see if I can mash the frets all the way out the back of the neck when I play.

Still, when I see these comments here and at TGP with guys claiming they have to refret their PRS almost every year or finally had to go stainless frets so they could stop refretting every year or couple years, it makes me wonder...

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS DOING TO THESE GUITARS????? Vice grips? Capo's with 100 lbs of tension? It does not register with me, how someone would play these things that could wear their frets that fast. One of my friends at church is a country and bluegrass player. He asked me a few weeks ago where he could get his Martin refretted. It's 20 years old, it's his only guitar, he plays daily and he uses a capo A LOT, and his frets lasted 20 years.

Somebody please explain to me how you can have fret wear on a PRS after a few weeks. My little brain can't conceive of this.
No idea... even Ernie Ball Cobalts which "some" people say cause premature efretulation couldn't do this, no matter how hard you try IMHO.
I played those for a year or so and didn't see any wear that I could attribute to the Cobalts.
YMMV

On occasion we'll get complaints about fret wear. We'll bring the guitar back to the factory and pull a fret and test it for hardness. Not once have we had a fret fail for being out of spec. However, if you feel the frets on your guitar are wearing prematurely, please contact your dealer or PRS customer service and we'll be happy to test the hardness of your frets.

I most certainly wasn't complaining, I probably have something like 20,000 hours on that guitar, it's never let me down!

I guess I just play “hard” then.

Here a couple of pics... in real life you can feel literally the wear. This goes at least for 6 different frets. As I mention, have the thing since December but have been using it exclusively for the past 3 weeks, 4 days a week.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/324eqx35m/

Back