The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Exactly, what @Rider1260 said... and I'll add tighten the neck screws in an "X" pattern to ensure they tighten as evenly as possible.

I got my SS on the first of March. An hour after un-boxing it, I noticed a slight creaking sound. If I applied pressure to the back of the neck, it became a bit more noticable. Good news is, about 30 seconds and a phillips screwdriver and boom...no movement, no creaks, nothing. I have done no more than a "touch tune" or two, since I snugged the screws. This thing stays in tune freakishly well.

The bottom line is this...It's wood. Wood is organic. Wood expands and contracts with different tempratures and variations in humidity. And lastly, it is hand built, by people, and people are fallible.

To me the quirks, issues, growing pains, or whatever you like to call them are to be expected with a brand new _____________(fill in the blank). Unfortunately, It comes with the territory, but I would be willing to bet... there is NOBODY that wants to iron out all the kinks, and fix all the little issues, more than the folks at PRS.

Good luck and I hope it all works out in your favor.

Last edited:
I have had 2- Silver Sky necks off the body, ( to shim the bridge to float ) and on both the neck pocket is SUPER tight, I'm looking at the neck on mine right now and can see no way it would shift like that without breaking the neck pocket.
It takes ZERO skill to tighten the neck if somehow it's loose. Loosen the strings , place face down ( please remove the trem arm ;) ) loosen the 4 screws reseat the neck and tighten the screws by hand pressing down firmly you should be all set. The pickguard can creak some during the process as its as tight as the neck pocket.
I would look at the trem first to be honest much more likely the trem has jumped off the knife edges
If you can take a pic or video would be a real help.
Best of luck.
Hi, i have plenty of years (too many) experience on guitar (and earth) to assess what’s happening.
I’m not saying it takes any skill to tighten four screws. In the same breath though, if it’s so easy, why did two come from the factory like this, twice? I’ve never noticed this problem on $119. Squire. I do not want to risk cracking the finish near the neck heel. The pocket is definitely not a tight fit, but is tighter than the first one I received. First one you could probably put a nickel between the body and neck on the bass side.. The new one can probably only take a business card. I’m not sure how this could be a trem jumping off the edge.?. Also, If the neck moves enough to tune up and down approximately 1/4 tone, and the pocket is not aiming the neck straight, how could I tighten it at home without some way to hold it straight?
I have sent a video to PRS on the second one, they agree something isn’t right.
Thanks for the well wishes!

Exactly, what @Rider1260 said... and I'll add tighten the neck screws in an "X" pattern to ensure they tighten as evenly as possible.

I got my SS on the first of March. An hour after un-boxing it, I noticed a slight creaking sound. If I applied pressure to the back of the neck, it became a bit more noticable. Good news is, about 30 seconds and a phillips screwdriver and boom...no movement, no creaks, nothing. I have done no more than a "touch tune" or two, since I snugged the screws. This thing stays in tune freakishly well.

The bottom line is this...It's wood. Wood is organic. Wood expands and contracts with different tempratures and variations in humidity. And lastly, it is hand built, by people, and people are fallible.

To me the quirks, issues, growing pains, or whatever you like to call them are to be expected with a brand new _____________(fill in the blank). Unfortunately, It comes with the territory, but I would be willing to bet... there is NOBODY that wants to iron out all the kinks, and fix all the little issues, more than the folks at PRS.

Good luck and I hope it all works out in your favor.
Thanks for the tip! I won’t put you through repeating my concerns and hesitation on fixing this.
The snugging of screws sounds easy enough but at this price I’m not nursing a guitar with a questionable neck pocket. I really like PRS and would like to support them, feel bad even bring this topic here but need to know if I’m alone in this issue.. I don’t know.. I feel like JM wouldn’t play either of the guitars I received out of the box, possibly not even after they’ve been snugged.
PRS seems like a man that likes things to be of the value he payed for, I don’t think he expects anything different of his customers.
Unfortunately the best option I have between dealer and manufacturer is to return for a replacement at dealer. I hoped PRS would do that and actually want the failing guitar back to see what the deal is. They are busy filling back orders though.

It's possible that the screws worked loose in transit. Although two behaving the same way seems pretty unlikely. I'd guess that it's more likely the wood has shrunk or expanded due to changes in climate - that would seem to make more sense when you have multiple guitars showing the same behavior. That would be much more a result of the wood than the build. I can't speak to the process for bolt-on necks, but having seen the crew building set necks, those pockets and tolerances are tight.

I'll steer the convo away from price point and say that I don't like having to make changes to any new guitar. The hope is always that you're going to pull the guitar out and it's perfect from the get-go, but that doesn't always happen. Sticking to PRS, I played an Artist V in a shop a few years ago. Almost unplayable - fretted out all over the place. And that guitar was well above the Silver Sky in price point, even w/o adjusting over time. I asked the shop if they could set it up and I'd come back after lunch. They did, and it was a different beast, and I ended up buying it a couple days later. That is the only PRS that I've ever had to adjust the truss rod on.

None of that makes your problem any better. I would go the tightening route to see if it solves it - even if you have the dealer do it (to absolve you of any claims that you screwed it up). Especially if you really like the guitar.

The screws comes loose because this guitar goes into the Silver Sky and the humidity and pressure at that height will contract/expand the wood and metal.
Also gravity then comes into play and will loose the screws slightly.
Which upon landing on earth will cause the creaking.
So I am told by no one.

The screws comes loose because this guitar goes into the Silver Sky and the humidity and pressure at that height will contract/expand the wood and metal.
Also gravity then comes into play and will loose the screws slightly.
Which upon landing on earth will cause the creaking.
So I am told by no one.
Unfortunately this is the best response I’ve received. This would explain the tone, which is heavenly! :)

From what I know of John Mayer, he has a terrific sense of humor, so I think he'll appreciate this. This was posted on a JM fan page and I thought it was funny.

peeps.jpg

From what I know of John Mayer, he has a terrific sense of humor, so I think he'll appreciate this. This was posted on a JM fan page and I thought it was funny.

View attachment 7216

I love it! When I saw Frank Zappa for the first time, he did a solo break where he didn't play a note - he just made guitar faces for about 12 bars.

Got 3 hours straight in last night w my new frost SS. I gotta say it holds its own in most every regard. The cleans sparkle and the neck picked up some great lead tones. Some have complained of it costing more than a Strat. I says it's worth every penny more! Thinking about another one when the gold is out there in volume.

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, theres just too much on this thread to go through!

My SS arrives on Thursday, really looking forward to it, but was wondering if aftermarket pickups will pop straight in, or is there a bit of modification needed to the pickguard?
(Only asking because I have a spare SD Red Devil, and I really like the tone of them if I fancied swapping it in in the future)

Thanks!

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, theres just too much on this thread to go through!

My SS arrives on Thursday, really looking forward to it, but was wondering if aftermarket pickups will pop straight in, or is there a bit of modification needed to the pickguard?
(Only asking because I have a spare SD Red Devil, and I really like the tone of them if I fancied swapping it in in the future)

Thanks!

An after market pickup will fit in the bridge position, but not the middle or neck positions.

Back