The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I respect that viewpoint, but I would play it. I might not broadcast that I had it, but I wouldn’t hide it. I have a fundamental belief that I am wasting my money if I buy something for it’s possible future value. If I am not going to get enough joy out of it just by owning it, I walk away.

The only way I would be purchasing 'vintage' instruments would be if I happened to find someone selling an 'old' relic guitar that they think is just 'used' and selling as a 'used' cheap guitar that I could immediately make a sizeable profit on. For example, if I found a 57 Strat being sold at a car boot sale for under $1k because the owner doesn't know they have a 'vintage' instrument that I could sell for $20+k - I certainly wouldn't be buying one as an 'investment' piece in the hope my $25k can be doubled in 10yrs.

I tried to use 'Cars' as an analogy - that someone may buy a 'Vintage' Ferrari that sits in their garage year after year after year. Only taken out on sunny days to make sure its still running barely putting any mileage on to it. Also having a better more modern car that gets used everyday, something that means you don't have to or need to drive the vintage car that is accruing more value by just sitting there. That owner still loves his vintage car, still cherishes it and doesn't want to drive it everyday to ensure its safe, its protected and has absolutely no desire to sell - despite its increasing value - they love it more than its monetary value.

I guess there is a part of me that sees Guitars as more than 'just' a tool for making music. Part of me that sees guitars as 'Art', that appreciates the craftsmanship that goes into making an instrument. Maybe that's like the car owner that has a daily drive that they maintain, clean and polish regularly, the car owner that appreciates the design, the form factor and artistic/aesthetic of vehicles. The person that would look at a Ferrari or Lamborghini as things of beauty rather than just a car for going very fast in. If I owned a PRS Dragon, I would be pretty much the same as I would with a Vintage LP or Strat - keeping it locked away, safe in a conducive environment only taking it out periodically to play, to look at, to check everything is OK before putting it away and playing on my Core PRS guitars. If I was a recording artist, maybe the 'dragon' would be used occasionally if I needed it for a specific tone but it certainly wouldn't go on tour, wouldn't be played daily or put in a glass case so the UV can affect it or others see it. I would rather buy a core PRS and try and give me the sounds of the Dragon so I wouldn't 'need' to play it. For me, it would be more about appreciating and protecting its beauty, its aesthetic. I would be an incredibly proud and honoured to own such an incredible piece of craftsmanship - so much so that I would do everything I can to ensure it is protected and safe. It wouldn't necessarily be 'just' an investment (same as with a Vintage guitar) - its monetary value is secondary.

The reason I would 'hide' it away is to make sure it stays in exactly the same condition and so I wouldn't be tempted to take it out and maybe adding to its 'ageing'. It would purely be an 'investment' purchase and I would see little reason to 'play' it if I had a Silver Sky. I maybe would be tempted to trade in a vintage strat for $28k (but only as I am not really a strat player - if it was a real 50's Les Paul, I would sell other things to get a 594 and do what ever I can to keep the vintage LP safe, protected etc) and spend $2.2k of that on a Silver Sky to replace it but I know I would feel a bit annoyed if in 10yrs time, that Strat is now worth $50+k. I would certainly prefer to just buy a SS and let that take the brunt of playing whilst the old Strat sits safely in its case, maturing in value as the years go by. Even still the financial value wouldn't be its primary concern to me, its historic value as well as appreciation of the aesthetic etc it weighs its financial value and, it would be the last thing I would sell because getting another one would be extremely unlikely.

Its not 'hiding' them away just to accumulate financial value, its hiding them away because I love and cherish them more and wouldn't want to risk any damage or additional wear to keep them at the condition they are in - keeping any wear to the barest minimum. I would buy alternative options as my 'daily' player to replace the need to play a vintage option. I wouldn't buy just any 'Vintage' instrument as an investment, I would only buy instruments that I love and cherish for what they are first and foremost. Its like someone who loves Lamborghini Countach for example and would only buy these because they love them, not because in 10yrs tome they maybe worth a lot more, doesn't buy just any vintage cars either because they aren't 'special' to them.

The only way I would be purchasing 'vintage' instruments would be if I happened to find someone selling an 'old' relic guitar that they think is just 'used' and selling as a 'used' cheap guitar that I could immediately make a sizeable profit on. For example, if I found a 57 Strat being sold at a car boot sale for under $1k because the owner doesn't know they have a 'vintage' instrument that I could sell for $20+k - I certainly wouldn't be buying one as an 'investment' piece in the hope my $25k can be doubled in 10yrs.

I tried to use 'Cars' as an analogy - that someone may buy a 'Vintage' Ferrari that sits in their garage year after year after year. Only taken out on sunny days to make sure its still running barely putting any mileage on to it. Also having a better more modern car that gets used everyday, something that means you don't have to or need to drive the vintage car that is accruing more value by just sitting there. That owner still loves his vintage car, still cherishes it and doesn't want to drive it everyday to ensure its safe, its protected and has absolutely no desire to sell - despite its increasing value - they love it more than its monetary value.

I guess there is a part of me that sees Guitars as more than 'just' a tool for making music. Part of me that sees guitars as 'Art', that appreciates the craftsmanship that goes into making an instrument. Maybe that's like the car owner that has a daily drive that they maintain, clean and polish regularly, the car owner that appreciates the design, the form factor and artistic/aesthetic of vehicles. The person that would look at a Ferrari or Lamborghini as things of beauty rather than just a car for going very fast in. If I owned a PRS Dragon, I would be pretty much the same as I would with a Vintage LP or Strat - keeping it locked away, safe in a conducive environment only taking it out periodically to play, to look at, to check everything is OK before putting it away and playing on my Core PRS guitars. If I was a recording artist, maybe the 'dragon' would be used occasionally if I needed it for a specific tone but it certainly wouldn't go on tour, wouldn't be played daily or put in a glass case so the UV can affect it or others see it. I would rather buy a core PRS and try and give me the sounds of the Dragon so I wouldn't 'need' to play it. For me, it would be more about appreciating and protecting its beauty, its aesthetic. I would be an incredibly proud and honoured to own such an incredible piece of craftsmanship - so much so that I would do everything I can to ensure it is protected and safe. It wouldn't necessarily be 'just' an investment (same as with a Vintage guitar) - its monetary value is secondary.

The reason I would 'hide' it away is to make sure it stays in exactly the same condition and so I wouldn't be tempted to take it out and maybe adding to its 'ageing'. It would purely be an 'investment' purchase and I would see little reason to 'play' it if I had a Silver Sky. I maybe would be tempted to trade in a vintage strat for $28k (but only as I am not really a strat player - if it was a real 50's Les Paul, I would sell other things to get a 594 and do what ever I can to keep the vintage LP safe, protected etc) and spend $2.2k of that on a Silver Sky to replace it but I know I would feel a bit annoyed if in 10yrs time, that Strat is now worth $50+k. I would certainly prefer to just buy a SS and let that take the brunt of playing whilst the old Strat sits safely in its case, maturing in value as the years go by. Even still the financial value wouldn't be its primary concern to me, its historic value as well as appreciation of the aesthetic etc it weighs its financial value and, it would be the last thing I would sell because getting another one would be extremely unlikely.

Its not 'hiding' them away just to accumulate financial value, its hiding them away because I love and cherish them more and wouldn't want to risk any damage or additional wear to keep them at the condition they are in - keeping any wear to the barest minimum. I would buy alternative options as my 'daily' player to replace the need to play a vintage option. I wouldn't buy just any 'Vintage' instrument as an investment, I would only buy instruments that I love and cherish for what they are first and foremost. Its like someone who loves Lamborghini Countach for example and would only buy these because they love them, not because in 10yrs tome they maybe worth a lot more, doesn't buy just any vintage cars either because they aren't 'special' to them.

I can understand wanting to preserve a vintage guitar but keeping one as a "Sunday driver" would be tough for me. My guitars range from vintage Fender to current PRS Private Stock and they all get played. In fact I'm less concerned dinging up a 50's Telecaster than I am a PS guitar. A buyer would probably expect a little wear on a 65 year old guitar but not so much on the PS. Make no mistake though, I try to be careful with any guitar. It's just that I get the most joy having them in my hands so I have to play them.

Just so my post is on topic, the Silver Sky I got to demo was an impressive guitar and I can see the appeal.

I can understand wanting to preserve a vintage guitar but keeping one as a "Sunday driver" would be tough for me. My guitars range from vintage Fender to current PRS Private Stock and they all get played. In fact I'm less concerned dinging up a 50's Telecaster than I am a PS guitar. A buyer would probably expect a little wear on a 65 year old guitar but not so much on the PS. Make no mistake though, I try to be careful with any guitar. It's just that I get the most joy having them in my hands so I have to play them.

Just so my post is on topic, the Silver Sky I got to demo was an impressive guitar and I can see the appeal.

Whilst I do agree in part, I would much prefer to ensure a vintage instrument remains as 'worn' as it is without adding to it. It also means that the fret wear is minimal so less likely to need a re-fret. The most important part of this though was that you can buy a Silver Sky so that you are not needing to play a vintage instrument to get the tone. Its a lot cheaper too if you don't have either a Vintage Strat or Silver Sky and want that tone. Also a LOT easier to find another Silver Sky if, for example, you do clinics or promotional work in various stores. You can just use one of their Silver Sky's and have the tone, the feel etc just like your own one at home. Its relatively replaceable, much more so than a rare vintage item and one that comes with a massive price tag.

I certainly never intended my comment to be blown out of context. The principal point was that the $2200 Silver Sky is 'great' value compared to a $28k Fender Strat and offers 5 usable positions too. Unlike a LOT of modern day Fenders inc Custom Shop, they lack something that a genuine 60's Strat offers but a PRS SS delivers. That enables players to get the vintage tones for a fraction of the price, those that wish to preserve vintage instruments a way to get the tones they want without 'needing' to play actual vintage instruments, not have to take these out on tour, keep the wear they have accrued without adding more...

Whilst I do agree in part, I would much prefer to ensure a vintage instrument remains as 'worn' as it is without adding to it. It also means that the fret wear is minimal so less likely to need a re-fret. The most important part of this though was that you can buy a Silver Sky so that you are not needing to play a vintage instrument to get the tone. Its a lot cheaper too if you don't have either a Vintage Strat or Silver Sky and want that tone. Also a LOT easier to find another Silver Sky if, for example, you do clinics or promotional work in various stores. You can just use one of their Silver Sky's and have the tone, the feel etc just like your own one at home. Its relatively replaceable, much more so than a rare vintage item and one that comes with a massive price tag.

I certainly never intended my comment to be blown out of context. The principal point was that the $2200 Silver Sky is 'great' value compared to a $28k Fender Strat and offers 5 usable positions too. Unlike a LOT of modern day Fenders inc Custom Shop, they lack something that a genuine 60's Strat offers but a PRS SS delivers. That enables players to get the vintage tones for a fraction of the price, those that wish to preserve vintage instruments a way to get the tones they want without 'needing' to play actual vintage instruments, not have to take these out on tour, keep the wear they have accrued without adding more...

It's all good and we appear to agree about the relative value of the Silver Sky. The one I played was a great guitar and I imagine I'll own one soon. It's just not going to prevent me from playing the vintage ones along with it.

Just wanted to leave a comment a few days after getting the guitar.

For context, I’m in no way a great guitarist and likely not deserving of an instrument this nice. With that said, I’ve been absolutely enamoured by it since I’ve had it. I admittedly purchased it based on other people’s opinions and testimonials. I was in need of s new guitar, love John Mayer and figured it was a great opportunity to splurge with some recent bonus money. As a sidebar, I’m a huge gamer and spend probably 2 hours a night on weeknights and 4-5 hours a night on weekends gaming.

Since buying this guitar on Saturday, I’ve done literally nothing but play it. I impulsively went to the studio with some friends and played for 5 hours - something I’ve never done before. And I’ve spent every night going through lessons On theory I’ve been ignoring forever. I’ve always been an acoustic player who just learned songs he liked, so I never really knew what I was playing.

This guitar has completely reignited my passion and completely taken over my free time. It’s amazing, it sounds fantastic and looks incredible.

I’m so happy with the purchase. This has been the best decision I’ve ever made in terms of buying something. So floored.

I think I received my first nick on it, though! Bumped headstocks with a buddy and noticed a tiny little dot on the top, right above the serial number. Pretty much unnoticeable. But it does bother me! But it’s meant to be played, and wear will happen!

So so happy.

Just wanted to leave a comment a few days after getting the guitar.

For context, I’m in no way a great guitarist and likely not deserving of an instrument this nice. With that said, I’ve been absolutely enamoured by it since I’ve had it. I admittedly purchased it based on other people’s opinions and testimonials. I was in need of s new guitar, love John Mayer and figured it was a great opportunity to splurge with some recent bonus money. As a sidebar, I’m a huge gamer and spend probably 2 hours a night on weeknights and 4-5 hours a night on weekends gaming.

Since buying this guitar on Saturday, I’ve done literally nothing but play it. I impulsively went to the studio with some friends and played for 5 hours - something I’ve never done before. And I’ve spent every night going through lessons On theory I’ve been ignoring forever. I’ve always been an acoustic player who just learned songs he liked, so I never really knew what I was playing.

This guitar has completely reignited my passion and completely taken over my free time. It’s amazing, it sounds fantastic and looks incredible.

I’m so happy with the purchase. This has been the best decision I’ve ever made in terms of buying something. So floored.

I think I received my first nick on it, though! Bumped headstocks with a buddy and noticed a tiny little dot on the top, right above the serial number. Pretty much unnoticeable. But it does bother me! But it’s meant to be played, and wear will happen!

So so happy.

Careful, next you’ll be taking up yoga!;)

Hi, I’m new to this forum and promise I’m an actual person/PRS customer, not just causing a stink (can you tell I’ve commented on tgp before by the fear?)
Has anyone else been experiencing a neck movement on their Silver Sky? I’m on my second one and both have had this issue.. The replacement one is slightly better but depending on which way the neck has shifted, the low or high E goes a quarter note off. I LOVE how this guitar sounds and want to keep it but the neck issue is just too bad to pay this much.. I can’t be the only person, anyone else?
Sorry my first comment is a negative :/

Hi, I’m new to this forum and promise I’m an actual person/PRS customer, not just causing a stink (can you tell I’ve commented on tgp before by the fear?)
Has anyone else been experiencing a neck movement on their Silver Sky? I’m on my second one and both have had this issue.. The replacement one is slightly better but depending on which way the neck has shifted, the low or high E goes a quarter note off. I LOVE how this guitar sounds and want to keep it but the neck issue is just too bad to pay this much.. I can’t be the only person, anyone else?
Welcome to the forum.
I've had mine for over a year I guess, and it's been in/out of the car to practice every week for all of that time. So it has close to 100 hrs + including couch time.
No neck issues here. I hope you can get the issue sorted out, it's too good to be abandoned or given up on.

Do you mean the neck is shifting in the pocket? It doesn’t seem right that it would only affect one string if that happened. I’d think if the high E, for example, was off by that much, the B would also be off. A quarter step is a pretty noticeable shift in pitch. Are your sure it’s not a binding issue at the nut or bridge? Just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of what’s going on.

Do you mean the neck is shifting in the pocket? It doesn’t seem right that it would only affect one string if that happened. I’d think if the high E, for example, was off by that much, the B would also be off. A quarter step is a pretty noticeable shift in pitch. Are your sure it’s not a binding issue at the nut or bridge? Just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of what’s going on.
Hi,
Yes, the neck is shifting in the pocket. The shift causes an almost equal sharp/flat ratio from e to e. The shift causes a creaking sound too, that can be felt resonating through the neck. I wondered if polishing wax/compound was in the neck pocket before assembling, making it just too slippery.

I have been in contact with PRS about this but the “send it in to fix “ option just doesn’t sound as good as the “return to dealer for exchange”option. I am having trouble believing that I had two in a row that do this and nobody else has had this issue (that I can find online)
I have been instructed via email to tighten the neck screws but I do not have the tools or skills to make sure the neck is straight. Also I’m afraid to crack the paint in that area.

I have had 2- Silver Sky necks off the body, ( to shim the bridge to float ) and on both the neck pocket is SUPER tight, I'm looking at the neck on mine right now and can see no way it would shift like that without breaking the neck pocket.
It takes ZERO skill to tighten the neck if somehow it's loose. Loosen the strings , place face down ( please remove the trem arm ;) ) loosen the 4 screws reseat the neck and tighten the screws by hand pressing down firmly you should be all set. The pickguard can creak some during the process as its as tight as the neck pocket.
I would look at the trem first to be honest much more likely the trem has jumped off the knife edges
If you can take a pic or video would be a real help.
Best of luck.

Back